British Speedway Forum

Time to sack Phil Morris?

13 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Like him or loathe him P Morris has an untenable job. Bottom line has been and always will be, there aren’t enough bums on seats at speedway meetings in the UK. Not helped by loss of venues resulting in a distorted spread of tracks throughout the UK, and the ageing profile of the supporter base. Uk speedway is now entirely dependent on TV money, whether through Eurosport or BSN. They call the shots. 

Cricket reinvented itself through the one day game. Purists hate it , but it brought in much needed revenue and saved cricket in England and Wales. They now have a problem of too much cricket, and players saying they are overworked. Oh, if only speedway was in that position.

Speedway however hasn’t changed, save for the ever growing SGP series of individual events at all age group levels. This seems to “capture the imagination “ of the masses, and captures the ambitions of riders who place this ahead of team speedway in their priorities. 

There needs to be a seismic change to UK speedway to survive. IOW  and Kent have experimented with novel events to proved a full afternoons entertainment to attract a newer crowd to their tracks, unhindered by the shackles of BSPL and SCB bureaucracy and red tape. The BSPL run clubs have distanced themselves from these tracks , foolishly IMO, as there surely must be a change in direction if Uk league speedway is to attract a new audience. 

The thing that needs to change for starters is the amount of really exciting heats, then word of mouth and positivity will grow the crowds .....

Very easy to just say "Sack Phil Morris" after just one miscalculation hasn't met with universal approval, but if this short sighted calamity did happen, then speedway would find it very difficult indeed to find a replacement with anything like the same enthusiasm, work-rate and drive than Phil has shown since taking on the job.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, brianbuck said:

Very easy to just say "Sack Phil Morris" after just one miscalculation hasn't met with universal approval, but if this short sighted calamity did happen, then speedway would find it very difficult indeed to find a replacement with anything like the same enthusiasm, work-rate and drive than Phil has shown since taking on the job.

Totally agree. Phil Morris does seem to have the best interests of the sport very much to heart and comes across as a very knowledgeable and likeable guy. In my opinion there are not many people out there at the moment who could turn the sport around but Phil Morris is defo one of the few who could. Give him a chance.

• Like 4

On 9/6/2024 at 12:24 AM, GeneralMelchett said:

You need to allow him 5 years - the saying Rome wasn't built in a day is very true, Speedway has multiple problems and 2 years (2 seasons) is not long enough to solve them!

I for one have noted some decent inovations and improvements - the programme quality is much better, we all said the beginning of the season event at the NSS was well done, the BSN coverage is excellent - give him more time and lets see!

I was the the NSS the orther week to see Sheffield against the Aces - it wa s really good meeting and the whole set up at the NSS is very good. Just need to try and build on that.

I am glad you can see some improvements. I certainly agree Speedway has multiple problems but as I said previously I see little evidence that PM is making things better not that I would envy him that task! 

6 hours ago, brianbuck said:

As usual (a bit like with Politics, Business etc) everyone is very good at diagnosing problems, not so good at fixes! Over the years I have heard many fine speeches in various walks of life, often the people sod off the minute they had finished speaking never to be seen or heard again!

If anyone thinks PM can solve these issues inside 2 seasons they are either very optimistic or perhaps (harshly) somewhat deluded! The ones i often find the most hilarious are those who claim to have long ago claimed to care about speedway yet still come on here to moan about it.

Me - I just try and enjoy the racing - which in most meetings you get a few races you can say you know what I enjoyed that!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

12 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Me - I just try and enjoy the racing - which in most meetings you get a few races you can say you know what I enjoyed that!

I agree..

For me, the best way to watch UK Speedway...

Unfortunately, they are trying to sell a team sport so, some kind of emotional attachment is fundamentally needed to keep you returning...

That won't be happening anytime soon with or without Phil Morris I suspect..

He is giving it a go at improving things so best of luck to him..

33 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I agree..

Unfortunately, they are trying to sell a team sport so, some kind of emotional attachment is fundamentally needed to keep you returning...

You can’t sell it as a team sport though. Guests are unheard of in Poland and you can’t get attached to a team where your riders could guest for another team and help them go above his ‘contracted’ team. I don’t blame the riders because, as people seem to forgot, the reason why British league will never get back to the same level, is and always will be, MONEY. Until you get crazy investment from somewhere then Phil Morris can try all he wants, but you’ll never get to a top level where people don’t complain about something. Stadiums not owned by the clubs and housing estates taking priority over them, riders guesting, Eurosport being crap at hosting, and so on and so on, we just need to enjoy the sport whilst we still have it! People in the masses just aren’t interested in it and as sad as that sounds, that’s how it is.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I agree..

Most if not all fans have an emotional attachment to their home team ...... thank goodness!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanoXtra said:

You can’t sell it as a team sport though. Guests are unheard of in Poland and you can’t get attached to a team where your riders could guest for another team and help them go above his ‘contracted’ team. I don’t blame the riders because, as people seem to forgot, the reason why British league will never get back to the same level, is and always will be, MONEY. Until you get crazy investment from somewhere then Phil Morris can try all he wants, but you’ll never get to a top level where people don’t complain about something. Stadiums not owned by the clubs and housing estates taking priority over them, riders guesting, Eurosport being crap at hosting, and so on and so on, we just need to enjoy the sport whilst we still have it! People in the masses just aren’t interested in it and as sad as that sounds, that’s how it is.

I suspect in another say 10-20 years speedway will still being going but it will be at places like Scunthorpe, Redcar Workington, BV where they have purpose built tracks on land owned by the club but not likely to be under threat of development.

The racing should be good if nothing else!

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

I agree..

He is and its far too early to say he's done well, been a success or failure.

2 hours ago, Trees said:

Most if not all fans have an emotional attachment to their home team ...... thank goodness!

Agreed, but the downside is that when tracks close that emotional attachment makes it difficult for fans to change allegiance, so they are either lost to league speedway or become far more occasional visitors.

1 hour ago, DaveWayne said:

Agreed, but the downside is that when tracks close that emotional attachment makes it difficult for fans to change allegiance, so they are either lost to league speedway or become far more occasional visitors.

I thought when Monmore closed I would travel around to different tracks. Been to two meetings this year and fast losing interest in watching on TV 

20 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

Which is only natural .....

A day in the life of SCB/BSPL. 

Phil : Are we banning Emil like the others?

Neil : No, ‘cause we like him. 

Phil :  Yeh but you can’t put that in the press release. 

Neil : Why not?

Phil : It wouldn’t look professional. 

Neil : ???? It's already done anyway and no I didn’t mention we like him, I’m not an idiot you know. 

Phil :  What reason did you give. 

Neil : Tired. 

Phil :  FFS! Why that, surely there’s something better, where is our rule book?

Neil: It’s under the table leg to stop it wobbling. 

Phil: Go get it. 

Neil : Here you go. 

Phil : Why’s it covered in hot chocolate?

Neil : I just spilt a full mug ‘cause the table wobbled, sorry. 

Phil : Why didn’t you put, suffering from severe laceration?

Neil : Couldn’t spell laceration. 

Phil : Just put cut!

Neil : Couldn’t spell severe, i before e and all that. I can’t spell a lot of rider names as you know. 

Phil : Yes, that’s why you make everyone use Chris Harris as a guest so it makes your paperwork easier. 

Neil : And he’s my friend. 

Phil : What’s all this mayo ffs?

Neil : I spilt mayo on the wobbly table and used the rule book to clean it up. Ha! and some fans say the rule book is useless. 

Phil : It’s f%#}^ everywhere. 

Neil : I didn’t JUST put tired.  

Phil :  Thank god, what else did you write? Who’s calling you. 

Neil : Matt Bates, he’s asking if we can move another piano for him?

Phil : If it involves a massive flight of stairs again, it’s a no. Anyway what else did you say?

Neil : I said he was thirsty. 

Phil :  F*%% my life, you do know they’re calling for my head on social media. Who’s ringing you now?

Neil : It’s Chris, he’s asked if he can guest for two teams in the same meeting. 

Phil : No!

Neil : I asked how quick he can change kevlars. 

Phil : What did he say. 

Neil : If he goes too fast his inflatable vest goes off and he looks like a small Cornish hulk. 

Phil : Small Cornish hulk, I like that, we could use that. Where’s the ideas book. 

Neil : Under the table. 

Phil : Right, covered in mayo and hot chocolate. 

Neil : Yes. I didn’t think we’d need it, we haven’t before. 

Phil : Who’s ringing NOW?

Neil : It’s the transponder rep. 

Phil : Tell him no, we’ve still got loads.

Neil : He’s got more cheese & onion crisps. 

Phil : No, not falling for that again. 

Neil : He’s come back with popping candy. 

Phil : Hmmm, tell him Monday, early evening. I don’t think there’s anything happening. Where’s the diary?

Neil : Errrrrr, don’t know - it’s definitely, absolutely not under the table. 

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, ouch said:

Neil : ???? It's already done anyway and no I didn’t mention we like him, I’m not an idiot you know. 

Neil : Couldn’t spell severe, i before e and all that. I can’t spell a lot of rider names as you know. 

Phil : Yes, that’s why you make everyone use Chris Harris as a guest so it makes your paperwork easier. 

Neil : I spilt mayo on the wobbly table and used the rule book to clean it up. Ha! and some fans say the rule book is useless. 

Phil : If it involves a massive flight of stairs again, it’s a no. Anyway what else did you say?

Phil :  F*%% my life, you do know they’re calling for my head on social media. Who’s ringing you now?

Neil : It’s Chris, he’s asked if he can guest for two teams in the same meeting. 

Neil : If he goes too fast his inflatable vest goes off and he looks like a small Cornish hulk. 

Phil : Small Cornish hulk, I like that, we could use that. Where’s the ideas book. 

Phil : Hmmm, tell him Monday, early evening. I don’t think there’s anything happening. Where’s the diary?

Brilliant work!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, iainb said:

Brilliant work!

I’m not a big fan of Morris but he must at least be given a chance. However, I’m not convinced he has the power or ability to do the job and his tinkering about with stuff doesn’t really inspire me. There’s no quick fix silver bullet to reverse speedway demise that’s been going on for years. The damage done in recent times by the clowns Chapman and Godfrey has been disastrous and put the sport into terminal decline. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ouch said:

Fine work Sir...

Only thing missing is Phil getting asked if he has decided who the finalists are yet so they can get the state of the art marketing package sorted...

And which biscuits he wants at the AGM...😁

31/08/24. We need to call the play off’s as otherwise clubs won’t have enough time for promotion and publicity plus Discovery’s needs the notice to organise OB. 

Can’t you wait a couple of days to see how the lions get on at Kings Lynn?

No, it’s not enough time. 

Two weeks later. 13/09/24

Guess we need to crack on organising Leicester’s 1st leg on the 23rd. Should I let Discovery know where they’re going?

No, we’ll sort it all on the 20th. A long weekend is all discovery needs to sort OB and the clubs involved can stick something on their website. 

• Like 2