British Speedway Forum

Ipswich vs Leicester play off Semi-final 9th Sept

3 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Your "love" is given via rose colored glasses isn't it. after all,
All four play-off teams agreed to the format proposed.
a) To satisfy the TV notice period, and
b) To ensure as much as possible, the best attendances at all four playoff matches. 
Meanwhile, Sheffield will be recognised as finishing top of the "regular season", though no prizes given for that (shame) and should they win their tie v BV then they will have the choice of dates for the final either v Leicester or Ipswich. 

Your point b) is wrong. Ipswich would have benefitted tremendously from having the second week, because there would be a greater chance of Sayfutdinov being available, which means more feet on terraces.  As it was they had to stage two home meetings in five days, with a stockcar meeting in between.

If Louis & Hawkins agreed to that it was either begrudgingly (most likely) or stupidly.

PS: The attendance on Monday was awful for a Play-off Semi-Final - it looked poor compared to a league match. Season Ticket holders had to pay for the Cup Final and the Play-Off … I think a lot of people (season ticket holders or not) either couldn’t afford or weren’t prepared to pay for both.  Therefore, there was absolutely no sense in Ipswich agreeing to those dates.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
Typo
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Your point b) is wrong. Ipswich would have benefitted tremendously from having the second week, because there would be a greater chance of Sayfutdinov being available, which means more feet on terraces.  As it was they had to stage two home meetings in five days, with a stockcar meeting in between.

If Louis & Hawkins agreed to that it was either begrudgingly (most likely) or stupidly.

PS: The attendance on Monday was awful for a Play-off Semi-Final - it looked poor compared to a league match. Season Ticket holders had to pay for the Cup Final and the Play-Off … I think a lot of people (season ticket holders or not) either couldn’t afford or weren’t prepared to pay for both.  Therefore, there was absolutely no sense in Ipswich agreeing to those dates.

I am not wrong at all. The point b) was a consideration decided upon by the teams not me. 

RR is not ideal given that it will mean on 3 occasions the chosen riders taking two rides on the trot.
5 hours ago, tellboy said:

You can do it quite easy without making riders take two on the trot 

Indeed:  4 Fricke; 7 Masters; 11 Becker; 13 Lawson

Edited by Roger Jacobs

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

I am not wrong at all. The point b) was a consideration decided upon by the teams not me. 

I said your Point B is wrong, that doesn't make you wrong. There's no way that Ipswich willingly agreed to take the first week. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a trade-off, possibly because Sheffield (and/or BV) didn't want the first week, and Leicester saw it as a real opportunity against a weakend Ipswich.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
Typo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Yes Eurosport 7.30pm meaning first race around 7.45pm 

That’s something else I get frustrated about with Eurosport. They start 19:30 on TV with hardly any build up. Football is a nice build up and gets you in the mood by painting a picture of the previous matches. I’m sure BSN start at 19:00 or 19:15 and do a much better job of the build up! Again correct me anyone if I’m wrong 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

I said your Point B is wrong, that doesn't make you wrong. There's no way that Ipswich willingly agreed to take the first week. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a trade-off, possibly because Sheffield (and/or BV) didn't want the first week, and Leicester saw it as a real opportunity against a weekend Ipswich.

I'd angle more towards stupidity then or they'd have dug their heels in surely? They can't care that much and roll over if they've been so wronged.

15 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

I'd angle more towards stupidity then or they'd have dug their heels in surely? They can't care that much and roll over if they've been so wronged.

I’m racking my brains and I cannot for the life of me think of an instance where people have agreed to something under duress or reluctantly. Every agreement in speedway and history as a whole has been reached with full and happy acceptance by all those involved. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ouch said:

I’m racking my brains and I cannot for the life of me think of an instance where people have agreed to something under duress or reluctantly. Every agreement in speedway and history as a whole has been reached with full and happy acceptance by all those involved. 

Would you not make your unhappiness known? I would.