British Speedway Forum

Ipswich vs Leicester play off Semi-final 9th Sept

25 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

theres only so many times he can say no, that yes is coming

Why would he want to leave Ipswich? It’s an ultra professional club where he’s happy, riding the tight grippy circuit has aided his development ten fold, belle vue is a great track but from a development perspective he’s riding the big tracks in Poland.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Well it is, just swapping Dan Thompson with Jenkins at 6 and 7. Caveats with that though, IF Jenkins is allowed to resume a rising Star role now his average has dropped below 4, and whether he’s still available if he is, once King’s Lynn have had their pick. 

Doyle

Rew

Brennan

Ellis

Sayfutdinov

D Thompson

Jenkins

Comes to 38.88

That's the dream team, Don't clubs get to protect their Rising Star that they used this season?

8 minutes ago, Gavan said:

If that’s our team that absolutely walks the league 

Not sure it will be Gav. No idea which way Emil will go, as has been said he’s weighing up Sweden as an alternative to UK next year. I think Brennan stays put as long as Birmingham get the green light which looks likely. There’s a question mark over Rew, and IF Jenkins is allowed back on the rising star list, King’s Lynn will get first dibs if as expected Birmingham retain Flint. We don’t have first recusal on Jenkins as we didn’t sign him as a rising Star this year, therefore he goes back on the list if he’s allowed to resume that role. 

• Like 1

Some of the comments on social media stating that Leicester paid the referee are honestly crazy. Calling us cheats etc. Listen the ref was absolutely sh#t but to label us as cheats is too far. The ref should be investigated but not for bribary but for being crap at her job. I do feel for ipswich fans but don't take it out on us as a club. We could not do anything about the ref, I agree Leicester got lucky but at the end of the day Ipswich had riders that couldn't stay on bike. Also how important does that heat 15 at Ipswich look now? Literally tried to put loads of dirt on certain gates and got caught out. Ipswich bottled it at home and had an even playing field with the weather yesterday altering the track. So home advantage pretty much went. Anyways on a positive note we're in the final and whatever happens we've had a great season. Ipswich fans can feel unlucky losing Doyle and Emil, if they were fit they would have won the whole lot.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Couldn’t disagree more. They lost the title last year after leading by 18 after the first leg of the final in dreadful conditions at Sheffield in the final heat of the season whilst carrying an unfit/ill rider (Riss). They were clearly the best septet this year, nobody can argue against it and there is a very strong possibility they would have won both league and cup. It’s clearly the EXACT right way to go and they’ll do exactly the same if the top two are both available and so they should. 

I’m not sure you’ll find any supporter of any club that wouldn’t want their team to build by have two world class riders leading them. 

But, after two years of trying it hasn't produced a title and with Emil not being available next year the plan will be to build as stronger middle order behind Jason D rather than try to find a like for like replacement.  

14 minutes ago, TTT said:

That's the dream team, Don't clubs get to protect their Rising Star that they used this season?

Jenkins wasn’t Ipswich rising star this year. If he goes back on the list, the selection process means Birmingham have first choice, King’s Lynn second, then Ipswich. With Birmingham likely retaining Flint, Lynn would then be nuts to not select Jenkins. If Jenkins refuses an offer from a club, he’s immediately removed from the rising star list not allowing another club to sign him in that position. He’d then have to hope someone signed him in their 1-6. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

But, after two years of trying it hasn't produced a title and with Emil not being available next year the plan will be to build as stronger middle order behind Jason D rather than try to find a like for like replacement.  

It hasn’t produced a title no but that’s not due to the way the team was built. You can’t do anything about rotten luck and circumstance. This years 1-7 was quite clearly the strongest team in the league, with the top heavy approach having two world class riders. Poole used to clean up every year back in the day with Holder and Darcy Ward 9+ pointers. It’s the way to go IMO. We’ll agree to disagree. 

2 hours ago, tyler42 said:

The main issue for me, was she showed no consideration for the track conditions. Any competent ref would have, and as  such given the riders the benefit of doubt. Then to compound things, she decided, Max Frick who lost control in heat thirteen was not the cause of the stoppage! After such a incompetent performance, she should be disqualified from holding a referees licence ever again. Jim Lawrence (SCB)  should not go unpunished for any of this either, for it would have been him allocating her the match in the first place!

Fricke lost control because he received a big lateral shove from the rider in gate one as they were about to enter bend one. This probably occurred because all four riders by this stage were aiming for more or less the same piece of track. Therefore what happened subsequently could not have been prevented by him and the decision to re-start the heat with all riders was correct.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

How do you know that Emil is not available next year?

25 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Some of the comments on social media stating that Leicester paid the referee are honestly crazy. Calling us cheats etc. Listen the ref was absolutely sh#t but to label us as cheats is too far. The ref should be investigated but not for bribary but for being crap at her job. I do feel for ipswich fans but don't take it out on us as a club. We could not do anything about the ref, I agree Leicester got lucky but at the end of the day Ipswich had riders that couldn't stay on bike. Also how important does that heat 15 at Ipswich look now? Literally tried to put loads of dirt on certain gates and got caught out. Ipswich bottled it at home and had an even playing field with the weather yesterday altering the track. So home advantage pretty much went. Anyways on a positive note we're in the final and whatever happens we've had a great season. Ipswich fans can feel unlucky losing Doyle and Emil, if they were fit they would have won the whole lot.

Watching the meeting with no team allegiance some of the decisions were certainly questionable? As an ex-football referee and match assessor I am amazed that speedway referees are not assessed at meetings by ex-referees. If this was implemented it would help the current referees to enhance their performance and eliminate supporters questioning decisions like last night by supporters throughout the UK. Some riders did not help the referee by their actions last night either but an assessor would observe for the future. Sorry just my thoughts.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

and will do sod all about. Mr Morris was there too  and equally will do sod all about it. Probably lodge a complaint that the countdown clock was in the wrong place, or something equally important.

On a completely unrelated topic, I read that betting was allowed on the result of the P.Off semi final.

I wrote to Phil Morris this morning and I also got a response. He stated he is in Denmark so unfortunately can’t do too much, also it’s out of his hands with refs and you need to report to SCB (done that night last)! I also stated some other changes I feel are needed in speedway… feel free to shout against me or agree but my take:

1. If your bike breaks down in the 2 minute timer then you’re out, you can’t get a reserve to switch.

2. If you are 6 points down you don’t get a tactical sub, whether it’s to keep the meeting close or not, in my opinion you keep the meeting close by racing well. Why should the losing team gain an advantage for being poor on the night and the winning team get penalised. 

Only my opinion! Don’t kill me haha.

Inconsistency in decision making is rife in sport, number of tight first bends with everybody looking for the best /safest way round to stay out the mire on the outside, however not withstanding that fricke had to go in ht 13 ,that killed ipswitch more than anything else, if rew can be excluded in ht 3, the rider inside him never gave him a chance to get round then fricke just had to go, he half tried to bully kvech who rightly never gave way, max was done for 15 m before the corner with front wheel up .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Well it is, just swapping Dan Thompson with Jenkins at 6 and 7. Caveats with that though, IF Jenkins is allowed to resume a rising Star role now his average has dropped below 4, and whether he’s still available if he is, once King’s Lynn have had their pick. 

Doyle

Rew

Brennan

Ellis

Sayfutdinov

D Thompson

Jenkins

Comes to 38.88

Jenkins cant be a rising star, the rules state once a rider achieves an average of 4 they will no longer be eligible to be a rising star, so he cant go back.

Also what averages are you using as that 1 to 6 comes in at 39.43.

43 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

The referee didn't steel the show. The riders made it. Shame on a promoter using such wording and showing a complete lack of professionalism. 

Of course she bloody did! It may have escaped you, but it’s literally the ONLY thing everybody is talking about since the meeting last night however badly you don’t want it to be the case!!

• Like 2