British Speedway Forum

Ipswich vs Leicester play off Semi-final 9th Sept

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

You must have missed the coming together of Kvech & Fricke entering the 1st bend, which the slow motion confirmed, & led to MF colliding with JK.

Seen this happen many times & the refs normally order a re-run with all 4. 

Should have been all 4 r/r in ht 3 when Rew was strangely adjudged the cause of the stoppage.

Nowhere near enough contact, and he was already "straight" and lifting...

And, as already decided by Rew's exclusion, any contact doesn't mean you shouldn't get excluded anyway....

Edited by mikebv

How crucial was that moment when king lost us the 5-1 with Thompson, he wasn’t even under pressure. Rode way to wide even coming into the corner on what was clearly a difficult track. Experience should prevail in those moments. There has been a few times when young Thompson has had a wiser head and helped our guys come round wide of him on the first corner. He really has done an amazing job since last year. 

• Like 3

Great win for the Lions last night despite the meeting being ruined by a) the weather and b) the referee.

The downpour in the afternoon really put paid to the track and certainly 'levelled' it us as far as any home advantage was concerned but then along came Agent Turnbull to put matters right lol!

Couldn't see why Rew was excluded in Ht 3 - thought it was going to be first bend bunching but hey ho the way he was riding last night he would,ve probably fallen off anyway

Max Fricke should have been excluded in Ht 13 I reckon - we were expecting it so was surprised when he wasn't ... Beckers exclusion looked harsh from where we watching but I guess if there was the slightest contact you go down ....

Masters gate in Ht 15 unreal - match winning ride there Sam ....

Credit to both sets of riders for giving it a go on a very difficult track and commiserations to the Witches who, had they had their 2 top riders would no doubt of walked the League and smashed the Play-Offs, however they didn't and Lions are in the Play-Off Final for the first time in their history!

Congrats to the Lions, Stewart Dickson and all - onwards and upwards as they say ....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gavan said:

Just going to put this out there for some context regarding Danny King 

Firstly he is 38 he isn’t going to get better so those of you expecting that are clueless 

We went very strong top two and signed the best 2 reserves in the league…. This meant the middle order would be weaker … we signed Rew back and then 2 guys who would provide middle order stability in Ellis and King…. Danny had the slightly higher average so rode at number 3…. A position he held until we lost Doyle which meant he got moved to 5 and he isn’t a number 5

Nobody started moaning about him until after we lost Emil … some fans thinking he should get double figures every week…. He was never signed to do that 

He has rode the season with a terrible hand injury and now a foot injury 

He has had some good meetings and some awful ones but he is not the rider he was 

He may well leave and i think he should but the abuse he has been getting is uncalled for 

Well said sir. At the start of the season my only concern about the Ipswich team was, that as a Sheffield fan, they represented a big threat to our chances of staying champions.

My take on the Ipswich team.

A powerful top two, using up a lot of the points available.

Possibly the best RS in the league.

Rew and Jenkins two riders with hopefully some improvement in them, team building helped by Jenkins 25% reduction.

Adam Ellis, finished his 2023 season at Sheffield with an average around 5.42. Yet in 2021 he took his average up to 8.3, despite moving to the more difficult number 5 position. I assume, when signed, Ipswich was hoping he would go back to his 2021 standard.

Danny King is an ok middle order rider in that team.

As far as the criticism of him " bottling heats 13 and 15" I remember him getting praised at Sheffield for what he did in those races. Yes I know Sheffield were 2nd tier at that time, but Danny is still a decent number 1 or 5 at that level. Don't blame him for the injury to Jason or Emil.

This was like a real life version of one of my posts. 

Rule book dispensed with prior to meeting - check

Tedious, gate’n’go heats - check

Deciding important meetings in the rain due to play offs - check

Incomplete teams - check

Multiple guests - check

Dubious/ridiculous refereeing - check

Rider missing whilst completing foreign league meetings - check

Coverage on TV from a company that over promises and under delivers - check

All happily overseen by a bloke charged with fixing our sport - check

BINGO, we have a winner, the old bloke at the front in the badge covered anorak. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cyclone said:

You must have missed the coming together of Kvech & Fricke entering the 1st bend, which the slow motion confirmed, & led to MF colliding with JK.

Seen this happen many times & the refs normally order a re-run with all 4. 

Should have been all 4 r/r in ht 3 when Rew was strangely adjudged the cause of the stoppage.

Fricke was already lifting and out of control when he and kvech touched - you must’ve missed that

• Like 1

Hawkins dropping a little hint about Brennan in the press release.

The management are aware now it's time to offer Tom a better contract than the verbally agreed one with Brum.

Ship Casemiro King off to Brum so they don't have to scramble around for a rider on a 6 something GSA.

1 hour ago, ShanoXtra said:

How crucial was that moment when king lost us the 5-1 with Thompson, he wasn’t even under pressure. Rode way to wide even coming into the corner on what was clearly a difficult track. Experience should prevail in those moments. There has been a few times when young Thompson has had a wiser head and helped our guys come round wide of him on the first corner. He really has done an amazing job since last year. 

When King was a Lion he made the same mistake on a regular basis is my memory serves me right.

1 hour ago, TTT said:

The management are aware now it's time to offer Tom a better contract than the verbally agreed one with Brum.

Ship Casemiro King off to Brum so they don't have to scramble around for a rider on a 6 something GSA.

Been saying they should get Brennan at Foxhall for 2 years now - in this 2nd leg he almost scored what Emil or Jason would have - lads only going one way for now! Up!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TTT said:

What a difference from when we (again) had last pick for the newly set up RS system. Nobody wanted Tom but we saw it different. From an RS to a +6 main team member with The Aces, great to see and glad he is now reaping the financial rewards. Top lad. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShanoXtra said:

Yes the ref was bad but king falling as you say when not under pressure cost the meeting

• Like 2

Referee was an utter disgrace and should have license withdrawn. Definitely influenced the result with incredibly poor decisions.

Sadly I echo previous comments that no side with Danny in will win anything. He consistently fails to turn up for important meetings.

Neutral fan.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

Referee was an utter disgrace and should have license withdrawn. Definitely influenced the result with incredibly poor decisions.

Sadly I echo previous comments that no side with Danny in will win anything. He consistently fails to turn up for important meetings.

Neutral fan.

Kings performance last night wasn't good - I'm not going to get stuck in a long protracted debate about things but last season the Witches won the cup and i believe Danny was in that side, fate has intervened for 2024 with injuries but yes in 2024 the Witches haven't won anything other than sympathy!

11 hours ago, Debbi said:

I would suggest that everyone needs to use this email address, it won’t change the result but something needs to be done about the ref’s decisions tonight. If you can post your frustration here copy and paste it into an email and just press send. I am not a supporter of either of tonight’s teams and feel the meeting was decided in the worst possible way by an inept referee. They said on tv even the Leicester riders couldn’t believe Rew’s exclusion.

SCB chair:

jim.lawrence@scbgb.co.uk

Jim was there in person last night, so will have witnessed it first hand.

Christina Turnbull had her worst night and she has had many  bad ones, Barbara Horley is better in my opinion but why have a referee, especially in a play off meeting, who has never ridden a speedway bike. There are plenty of good referees . She should be told she can only referee at a lower level for a period of time.

• Like 1

Just now, foreverblue said:

Christina Turnbull had her worst night and she has had many  bad ones, Barbara Horley is better in my opinion but why have a referee, especially in a play off meeting, who has never ridden a speedway bike. There are plenty of good referees . She should be told she can only referee at a lower level for a period of time.

Couldn’t agree more

Edge of the seat stuff for me last night wasn't sure which way it was going to go, referee was awful hope she dosen't ref any more play off meetings. Track played a big part last night a couple of Ipswich riders just couldn't stay upright having said that it's the same for both teams. Feel for Ipswich though but good luck to Leicester hope they go on to win it.

• Like 1