British Speedway Forum

Ipswich vs Leicester play off Semi-final 9th Sept

IPSWICH: 1. Jan Kvěch (G) 9.36 2. Adam Ellis 5.61 3. Keynan Rew 5.43 4. Tom Brennan (G) 9.12 5. Danny King © 6.48 6. Ashton Boughen (G) 3.74 7. Dan Thompson (RS)

LEICESTER: 1. Max Fricke 8.70 © 2. Richard Lawson 7.21 3. Sam Masters 7.17 4. Luke Becker 6.17 5. R/R for Ryan Douglas 7.59 6. Lewi Kerr (G) 5.03 7. Sam Hagon (RS)

4 minutes ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Emil is flying in Poland has beat Zmarzlik in his first race.

If Emil doesn't ride tomorrow, I will he hugely disappointed in him.

Teams have already been announced numpty :rofl:

28 minutes ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

How?

Emil isn't injured, so why are Ipswich given a facility?

Emil has destroyed all of the goodwill he has built up in Britain.

"Emil has destroyed all of the goodwill he has built up in Britain"......You mean that YOUR complete misunderstanding of the situation has made YOU think that Emil has made/will make a decision that YOU don't agree with!

I know that facts are not so interesting but maybe worth trying them out to understand the situation.

1 hour ago, orion said:

The normal suspects going on about Guests .. What do they want teams to do when this happens .. No doubt bring Juniors riders in for heat leaders ? 

Makes you wonder how other leagues around Europe cope with not using guests...😀

Another good win for Emil, that's two wins and a second so far .

He's back!!

(Just not back over here)..😁

17 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Makes you wonder how other leagues around Europe cope with not using guests...😀

They either have juniors in their team or sign short term replacements from what is available like Wroclaw last year in their pay off finals, which made it a complete non-event

Or Sweden run R/R and/or a squad system, but they like the UK can only bring riders in when Polish availability allows, I think I was watching a match the other day where they were running R/R for a squad rider who wasn't available due to a Polish fixture!!

It's not just here where this madness prevails

Edited by iainb

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

They either have juniors in their team or sign short term replacements from what is available like Wroclaw last year in their pay off finals, which made it a complete non-event

Or Sweden run R/R and/or a squad system, but they like the UK can only bring riders in when Polish availability allows, I think I was watching a match the other day where they were running R/R for a squad rider who wasn't available due to a Polish fixture!!

It's not just here where this madness prevails

Guesting is part of the operating model because 

1) it is easy to do, which means you don't need to find a way to not use them through changing your team structures, and,

2) the riders like the chance to earn extra money, doubling up and guesting is vital for those who don't ride in Poland...

Hence, they will stay and major sponsors, and many thousands of fans, will stay away...

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

1) it is easy to do, which means you don't need to find a way to not use them through changing your team structures, and,

2) the riders like the chance to earn extra money, doubling up and guesting is vital for those who don't ride in Poland...

Hence, they will stay and major sponsors, and many thousands of fans, will stay away...

But what is the alternative? I think in the Swedish match it was something like they were dropping Tom Brennan to bring somebody like Anders Thomsen back into the team from the "squad" knowing full well that he was unavailable to operate R/R instead of Brennan, and you think our setup is daft.

The only way you will ever do away with guests is by having a squad of employee riders (say 10 or 12) contracted to only ride for your club and that ain't never going to happen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iainb said:

But what is the alternative? I think in the Swedish match it was something like they were dropping Tom Brennan to bring somebody like Anders Thomsen back into the team from the "squad" knowing full well that he was unavailable to operate R/R instead of Brennan, and you think our setup is daft.

The only way you will ever do away with guests is by having a squad of employee riders (say 10 or 12) contracted to only ride for your club and that ain't never going to happen

Less riders per team, and a fit for purpose RR facility would be a start..

And some actual deterrent for missing meetings over here would also help...

14 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Hi mikebv. Can't agree with your final point that "major sponsors and many thousands of fans stay away" just because of the guest system. I think your point is highly exaggerated. 

Due to the many injuries sustained during a normal season I cannot see how the guest system can be discontinued. If your star man is missing, the majority of fans I'm sure would want him to be replaced like for like as opposed to a junior rider.

The guest system has been around for donkey's years and I have personally never really minded it. I remember travelling down to Swindon many years ago to watch Halifax minus Kenny Carter who was out injured. When I heard that we'd got Shawn Moran as a guest I thought great, we still have a chance.

I appreciate your comments re guests but I just can't see what other system would currently work. I just can't see a squad system working in this country.

• Like 4

If Emil hadn’t had such a bad fall there wouldn’t be an issue. The blokes commitment over here isn’t in question. Didn’t miss a single fixture over here last year including the play offs, and wouldn’t have missed any here this season either. But riding here nearly cost his Polish team their star man when they needed him most, they won’t have been best pleased to say the least. There is no way on earth they were going to allow him to do the play offs here this time. 

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Less riders per team, and a fit for purpose RR facility would be a start..

And some actual deterrent for missing meetings over here would also help...

Okay, point 2 is obviously a given, so say you run 5 rider teams and you have 3 of them out injured, what then? R/R for 1, then what? Cancel all meetings until the team is fit?

Personally I'd like to see a little more club affiliation, so PL clubs could call on a CL clubs riders, like feeder clubs, that'll never work credibly while riders are still doubling up/down though.

Edited by iainb

8 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Hi mikebv. Can't agree with your final point that "major sponsors and many thousands of fans stay away" just because of the guest system. I think your point is highly exaggerated. 

Due to the many injuries sustained during a normal season I cannot see how the guest system can be discontinued. If your star man is missing, the majority of fans I'm sure would want him to be replaced like for like as opposed to a junior rider.

The guest system has been around for donkey's years and I have personally never really minded it. I remember travelling down to Swindon many years ago to watch Halifax minus Kenny Carter who was out injured. When I heard that we'd got Shawn Moran as a guest I thought great, we still have a chance.

I appreciate your comments re guests but I just can't see what other system would currently work. I just can't see a squad system working in this country.

It's just simply you cannot ever take the sport seriously (in a team concept), when such nonsense pervades..

Nothing will change though so we have what we have..

Which, ultimately, sadly, can never grow the sport..

Emil was immense this afternoon - even for someone of his talent that was some performance 

You could see he wasn't feeling very comfortable though, subdued movement and at the end of meeting interview he couldn't even sit on the chair!

It's such a shame that the standing of the British League is at such a low ebb and Poland has such power but that's the way of the world at the moment

28 minutes ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

The biggest match of the season for Ipswich and Emil is apparently not going to turn up.

I would be sick if I was a Ipswich fan.

Everyone on here is sick of you popping up on the forum all the while chatting s#*t but hey hoo wotever floats your boat

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Emil was immense this afternoon - even for someone of his talent that was some performance 

You could see he wasn't feeling very comfortable though, subdued movement and at the end of meeting interview he couldn't even sit on the chair!

It's such a shame that the standing of the British League is at such a low ebb and Poland has such power but that's the way of the world at the moment

The wound by all accounts was horrific, likened to him being hacked with a machete. He’s had fluid leaking and drains inserted during the early healing process. One fall could open up the wound again quite easily and he’d be back to square one. 

He’ll be pressured though of course, to ride the Polish play offs. He wouldn’t be pressured here and that’s right. I’m personally not convinced we’ll see him back here next year, but I could be wrong on that. We’ll have to wait and see. 

• Like 1