British Speedway Forum

Gardening at the start line

The Riders have 2 minutes to be ready to race. What they do in that two minutes is up to them. Gardening only seems more prevalent now as the riders want to maximise their time in preparing their start grid.

In the past they would trundle round at any time in the two minutes and then start gardening.

• Like 2

I know that it is very irritating, however, a Rider must be allowed to prepare himself for the best start possible.

As annoying as it is, 'gardening' is part of the sport of Speedway, and we should accept it as such.

That's my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I know that it is very irritating, however, a Rider must be allowed to prepare himself for the best start possible.

As annoying as it is, 'gardening' is part of the sport of Speedway, and we should accept it as such.

Thanks for that

59 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I agree. That dig about in the dirt as the bikes tick over has always been a lead up to the heat. It’s up to the ref / start Marshall to bring them to the tapes in time. I like the race build up. Often more watchable than the race.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The White Knight said:

It never used to be “part of the sport”.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElmParkRG2 said:

It never used to be “part of the sport”.

100% agree with this. 

I often wonder who started it and when.  That's something we never know, I think.

It has as far as I can remember. Definitely not to the level it is today. It started to increase when they banned the rolling starts. A great decision imo. When you look back at some of the TV footage the starts were much more cringeworthy than today’s gardeners. The problem today is the inconsistent 2 min allowance. It should be 2 min or out. They would soon learn. Riders are given too much leeway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say it started with the arrival of the mighty American's in the mid 70's early 80's & it was adopted swiftly by the European's. In more recent seasons it has become really bad, I think the Referees lost control as a 2 minute time allowance was stretched to nearer 4 minutes at times. Now with the clock on the track I cannot object to riders having just their 2 minutes to prepare as long as the Referee is strong enough to apply the time correctly & disqualify a rider that exceeds that time. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Gambo said:

The Riders have 2 minutes to be ready to race. What they do in that two minutes is up to them. Gardening only seems more prevalent now as the riders want to maximise their time in preparing their start grid.

In the past they would trundle round at any time in the two minutes and then start gardening.

Would agree with that.

I think current starting procedure is a s good as it has been, with the 2 minute clock forcing the riders to come to order. Something that would stop gardening would be a concrete starting area, but they tried it in the 50s and got rid of it. I never saw that in operation. Perhaps someone who saw it being used might like to comment?

I am old enough to remember the days when even breaking the tapes did not bring an automatic exclusion and the starts then were awful and, I reckon, wasted more time than gardening today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not for or against it, but I do feel like riders are entitled to do as they please with their two minutes.

From a non-professional perspective, I assume it’s a critical part of race preparation. It can be the difference between hitting the corner first and hitting it last, I imagine.

On Friday night, Glasgow’s track staff definitely weren’t sharing the share wealth with the gates that Redcar riders were out of in the following heat. I’m all for that, but Redcar riders deserve the opportunity to combat that disadvantage.

Riders shouldn’t take the piss though and it’s the start marshall’s responsibility to address that. Having said that, I don’t think I’ve ever watched riders at the start line and thought ”he’s taking ages”.

For a last heat decider, especially, I feel like the build-up adds to the tension and atmosphere.

• Like 1

I honestly think it's just a fashion thing that's become a habit. Don't think it makes much difference at all to their start. A bit like the other fashion now of constantly dropping the clutch momentarily. Again, I don't think this makes a blind bit of difference to their start but just wears out their fibre plates. 

• Like 1