British Speedway Forum

Sheffield vs Ipswich 2024 Cup Final Sept 2nd

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Catching up on Speedway Stars I've missed, don't know if this was mentioned but how was James Pearson able to guest for Jordan Jenkins. Jordan's average was 3.74, but as a foreigner Pearson should be on a minimum 4.00 regardless of his Champ average right?

Just as well he didn't score & Sheffield won.

Don't think Pearson is classed as a foreigner

12 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Don't think Pearson is classed as a foreigner

He is Australia and doesn’t have the UK family connections of say Connor Bailey, if he had he would have been an RS. 

He was illegal and it was just another case of team building rules being sidestepped for Ipswich again. 

James is an Aces asset so if the witches want this one, they’ll have to pay. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ouch said:

He is Australia and doesn’t have the UK family connections of say Connor Bailey, if he had he would have been an RS. 

He was illegal and it was just another case of team building rules being sidestepped for Ipswich again. 

James is an Aces asset so if the witches want this one, they’ll have to pay. 

No he wasn't...

1 hour ago, BluTiger said:

No he wasn't...

Why?

The way I see it using the rule book and published facts is below. If it’s another Ipswich under the table rule change I wasn’t aware of then I apologise. Any links would be appreciated as I can add it into my old set of rules. 

Any other (non British) rider with an established average, cannot drop below 4.00 in the Premiership or Championship Leagues at any time during the season.

This happened with Kenyan last year where he spent almost all season below 4 but for team declaration purposes he remained a 4. 

James’ PL average was below 4 but due to him being a (young) Aussie like Kenyan he was uplifted to a 4. 

4 is bigger than 3.74 which was the average of the rider being replaced which is not allowed if applying the rule book. 

Edited by ouch

Does this really matter.

Sheffield won the cup over two legs fact is Ipswich gain no advantage so why bring the subject up over a month after the event.

British speedway has more important matters to sort out, feels like people are fishing to find problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ouch said:

Why?

The way I see it using the rule book and published facts is below. If it’s another Ipswich under the table rule change I wasn’t aware of then I apologise. Any links would be appreciated as I can add it into my old set of rules. 

Any other (non British) rider with an established average, cannot drop below 4.00 in the Premiership or Championship Leagues at any time during the season.

This happened with Kenyan last year where he spent almost all season below 4 but for team declaration purposes he remained a 4. 

James’ PL average was below 4 but due to him being a (young) Aussie like Kenyan he was uplifted to a 4. 

4 is bigger than 3.74 which was the average of the rider being replaced which is not allowed if applying the rule book. 

Maybe both parties agreed to it and approval was granted. The result was never in doubt, with or without him...

1 hour ago, spin king said:

Does this really matter.

Sheffield won the cup over two legs fact is Ipswich gain no advantage so why bring the subject up over a month after the event.

British speedway has more important matters to sort out, feels like people are fishing to find problems.

The point is that every time some whiny little team manager feels hard done by they demand new restrictions/relaxations in the guest rules. The result is they become so complex that virtually nobody remembers them all. (cf Sheffield's inadvertant attempt to use Harris illegally).

I think @szkocjasid is making an argument for rationlisingb the rules.

1 hour ago, BluTiger said:

Maybe both parties agreed to it and approval was granted. The result was never in doubt, with or without him...

Or for "commercial considerations" 😜

3 hours ago, BluTiger said:

Many thanks for the full and frank explanation. I understand now why you refuted the rule breaking - maybe.

It obvious again that rules mean as much to fans as speedway does to the main stream media or big ticket sponsors.

The only silver lining is we can add the Glasgow number 4 into the mix to be our RS next season.