British Speedway Forum

Sheffield vs Ipswich 2024 Cup Final Sept 2nd

39 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

That wasn't as a replacement for Musielak, that was an attempt to bolster a struggling team. There was no guarantee Kvech would settle - although having KL as his home track probably helped. It would be interesting to know how long KL were talking to him and arranging a deal (fixture list & travel, machinery, mechanics, transport, sponsorship, work permit), before he was finally signed.

Apart from what Louis has said about approaching some riders, and the difficulties of arranging things when their seasons are already organised, there hasn't been any information about the actual riders, e.g. would they have taken a risk on Huckenbeck or such like?

As usual with speedway, fans are left with speculation and rumour.

I heard that Kvech wasn't convinced to come over at first. But is good friends with Topinka, as is Buster. I gather that Tomas helped things along a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Is that the same Kerr you sacked before the cut off? And the same Vissing you got a ringer guest for in the play off final that scored paid double figures?

We replaced Kerr so that could get a seven man team after we had an injury, an unfortunate victim of averages

As for Vissing, no Ipswich fan has ever answered a couple question about his situation

How much did it cost us to pay him to miss the rest of the season when he wasn't injured?

How did we convince Glasgow that he was actually injured when he wasn't, as i assume they wanted him to ride?

or was it a fact that he was injured and we used guests to cover his absence, a situation i am sure you understand after this season

8 hours ago, MP78 said:

Inclined to agree that both the play off semi final legs vs Leicester will be an absolute waste of time and we’ll end up putting out an Ipswich 2nd strings and Oxford select… not good for the paying public and representation of the sport generally 

There are some decent riders at Oxford if they can be convinced/allowed to guest.

7 hours ago, Odds On said:

why cant some people just get their head around that losing Doyle and Emil IS irreplaceable?....and as the late Sinead once said "nothing compares".

Some(not all) Sheffield fans cannot even win with a slight bit of dignity and class, you got lucky with racing against a very unlucky opposing finalist, its sport it happens.

The final could of been a cracker with both teams at full strength.

I don't think there is a single person that disputes the 2 riders in question are irreplaceable, but that is the chance your management took when building a team so reliant on those 2 riders. Sheffield took a gamble with a strong 1-5 meaning they have run all season with 2 rising stars at reserve so had we lost 2 of our heat leaders we would also have struggled.

The last minute loss of Emil has ruined the end of the season, and we do sympathise, but it was always a risk to put all your eggs in 2 baskets.

We are fully aware that you couldn't find a 'like for like' replacement for Doyle, but surely there are riders out there that could have come in and picked up 7-8 points a match, rather than expecting Ellis, King, and Thompson to cover week after week. They are 2nd string riders for a reason and can't do it week in week out for 4 months. Had someone come in back in June when Doyle announced his season was over they would have been fully integrated into the squad and dialled into the UK tracks now when it matters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

An injured Danny King gets 9 from 5….. pretty good from a third heat leader but I bet he gets stick again … and I’m not blaming Ellis but he has had a worse meeting 

Well done to Sheffield but even tonight if Jordan and have rode and scored 4 that’s an 8 point swing and obviously Doyle and Emil missing 

Well I think Josh Pickering won this for the Tigers - he was sensational at the the NSS the other week too! Tigers made hard work of this!

Good showing from Tom B - would be happy to see him at Foxhall anytime!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

Jack holder shushing the crowd having beaten Danny ling and Adam Ellis in heat 13 🤡 would love to have seen him against emil and Jason wouldn’t have been anywhere 

Typical J.Holder,would you expect anything else from him.You lose graciously,but you should also win graciously.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

Jack holder shushing the crowd having beaten Danny ling and Adam Ellis in heat 13 🤡 would love to have seen him against emil and Jason wouldn’t have been anywhere 

the only thing worse than a bad loser is a smug winner!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Typical J.Holder,would you expect anything else from him.You lose graciously,but you should also win graciously.

He's an immature obnoxious donk with zero class, even the GP riders can't stand him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Gavan said:

An injured Danny King gets 9 from 5….. pretty good from a third heat leader but I bet he gets stick again … and I’m not blaming Ellis but he has had a worse meeting 

Well done to Sheffield but even tonight if Jordan and have rode and scored 4 that’s an 8 point swing and obviously Doyle and Emil missing 

Not always the case where 4pts is an 8pt swing or 5pts a 10pt swing etc.Two of Pearsons rides Ipswich had a 5-1 against,so if Jenkins got 2 3rds in those it would have still been a 1-5.If he got 2 2nds it would have been 2 2-4s which is a 4pt swing.Just saying by the way.You,me and many fans wanted to see a more even match and most probably wanted to see an Ipswich win given their circumstances.

1 minute ago, tellboy said:

Not always the case where 4pts is an 8pt swing or 5pts a 10pt swing etc.Two of Pearsons rides Ipswich had a 5-1 against,so if Jenkins got 2 3rds in those it would have still been a 1-5.If he got 2 2nds it would have been 2 2-4s which is a 4pt swing.Just saying by the way.You,me and many fans wanted to see a more even match and most probably wanted to see an Ipswich win given their circumstances.

The Witches regained a bit of pride tonight - the first time they haven't been defeated on the night for quite a while, I expected Sheffield to cruise this, I suppose you could say they didn't need to do much but at 10pts down they looked a bit vulnerable!

So congrats to the Tigers and comiserations to the Witches

• Like 1