British Speedway Forum

Sheffield vs Ipswich 2024 Cup Final Sept 2nd

3 minutes ago, spin king junior said:

But he guested earlier in the competition for Ipswich, so surely it's only Ipswich that can use him again?

Correct we could. I think in all honesty Ipswich were hoping that Lindgren would guest in place of Doyle for the play off & cup final. That was before Emil was injured, then I think everyone including the Emil hoped that he would be back in early September, he pulled out late last week of Torún’s meeting. 

I’ve been critical of Kings performances over the past few weeks but to be honest I can’t put too much blame on the management I’ve never know a season where you’re entire team gets injured & when 4 riders are out at the same time including your top 2.

The last crisis we had like this was 1990 when Norris & Standing both got injured at Exeter.

I do however think the management could have been more open about the reasons riders are unavailable.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TTT said:

Can you voluntarily relinquish your place in the play-offs?

If you can then Ippo should jump at the chance because it's beyond ridiculous now to a point where it holds no financial logic to run another meeting at Foxhall this season.

54 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Contractually probably not. People would also call it a “farce” if we did that but it’s already a farce in the way they’ve pissed up the semi final draw and no more of a farce than turning up with the majority of the team made up of guests from other clubs.

At least Oxford would have their own team of riders and the two semi finals would be competitive and more entertaining to watch. I honestly don’t think the majority of Ipswich supporters would be bothered at this point I really don’t. 

Surely it only takes all parties to agree 'for commercial reasons'......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Correct we could. I think in all honesty Ipswich were hoping that Lindgren would guest in place of Doyle for the play off & cup final. That was before Emil was injured, then I think everyone including the Emil hoped that he would be back in early September, he pulled out late last week of Torún’s meeting. 

I’ve been critical of Kings performances over the past few weeks but to be honest I can’t put too much blame on the management I’ve never know a season where you’re entire team gets injured & when 4 riders are out at the same time including your top 2.

The last crisis we had like this was 1990 when Norris & Standing both got injured at Exeter.

I do however think the management could have been more open about the reasons riders are unavailable.

Louis confirms here that the plan was to use Lindgren as they knew Birminghams season would be over, and the wheels were put in motion months ago. His Polish club eventually put the kibosh on that idea. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

8 hours ago, TTT said:

I've never known anything like it in Speedway.

Whole team is basically being wiped out at this point.

47 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

So Holder, Woffinden, Musielak, Vissing and Gilkes last season wasn't comparable then ? 

Not only missing the top 2, but also the injury replacement for one of the top 2 !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spin king junior said:

But he guested earlier in the competition for Ipswich, so surely it's only Ipswich that can use him again?

ah right. maybe thats where im mistaken, i thought i saw that sheffield couldnt use him because he was cup tied, but maybe that was just because hes guested for ipwich in the competition.

which begs the question why are ipswich not using nicholls or harris tonight? guest is always better than RR

Surely Ipswich could justifiably claim postponement of tonight’s meeting , being unable to raise a competitive team? Seem to recall Uncle Buster being allowed to do so for KL on more than one occasion ( including the infamous damaged pit gate scandal) Mr P Morris surely has the power to intervene for commercial reasons and in the interests of the sport. 

You still have the feeling that it depends who you are in this sport as to how you are treated. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Debbi said:

Scot won’t be riding as he will be presenting. He has made it clear that he didn’t want to race full time premiership because of other commitments.

not tonight he isn't it's on BSN 

44 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

So Holder, Woffinden, Musielak, Vissing and Gilkes last season wasn't comparable then ? 

Not only missing the top 2, but also the injury replacement for one of the top 2 !!

No because that's not a whole team.

Ipswich have had every member of the 1-7 on the sidelines at some point, Some riders have even been on the sidelines twice.

14 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Surely Ipswich could justifiably claim postponement of tonight’s meeting , being unable to raise a competitive team? Seem to recall Uncle Buster being allowed to do so for KL on more than one occasion ( including the infamous damaged pit gate scandal) Mr P Morris surely has the power to intervene for commercial reasons and in the interests of the sport. 

You still have the feeling that it depends who you are in this sport as to how you are treated. 

Need to refuse to hold the meeting, What's the worse punishment they can recieve?

Points deductions = No because it's a Cup tie.

Fine = More than likely wouldn't be as much as they'd lose on the gate anyway, Therefore happy days.

As a neutral (ex-Panthers) got to feel sympathy for Ipswich club and supporters. Season started so well then for every rider to be injured throughout the season. Went over to watch the Oxford meeting and Ipswich fans were still showing support 👍. Good luck for the remainder of the season and keep your heads held high 🤞

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Debbi said:

Scot won’t be riding as he will be presenting. He has made it clear that he didn’t want to race full time premiership because of other commitments.

I think Nicholls has dedicated himself to his Oxford meetings, so he was at Oxford last night and Redcar on Friday, which are far more important.  Obviously King and Jenkins are in both of those matches too, but are obliged to turn out for Ipswich (unless injured 🤕).

Inclined to agree that both the play off semi final legs vs Leicester will be an absolute waste of time and we’ll end up putting out an Ipswich 2nd strings and Oxford select… not good for the paying public and representation of the sport generally 

1 hour ago, TTT said:

No because that's not a whole team.

Ipswich have had every member of the 1-7 on the sidelines at some point, Some riders have even been on the sidelines twice.

We can add Kerr Howarth and Vissing to our list as well, they were all injured at some point as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveWayne said:

Not in the slightest 

Your 1-7 at the start of the season was 

Musielek Kerr Ellis Bellego Jack Holder Howarth and Gilkes

In the play off final you had 

Lambert for Holder

Chris Holder for Ellis

Chris Harris for Musielek 

Pickering for Bellego 

Etheridge for Kerr

Edwards for Gilkes 

The injuries you got last season plus sacking certain riders helped you become stronger for sure 

We couldn’t go out and sign a Lambert this season it wasn’t allowed and riders didn’t want to come …. So no what we have suffered this season does not compare to what you had 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1