British Speedway Forum

Sheffield vs Ipswich 2024 Cup Final Sept 2nd

15 minutes ago, Bash said:

There was nothing wrong with the track, the gating tart just wasn't making the starts and when he did it was against two far from fit riders in King & Ellis.

He also needs to take a lesson from his brother on how to take a bit of banter😀

I wouldn’t say he’s a gating tart but last night again showed his immaturity…. After the  meeting I had a chat again with Steady who remembered my granddaughter from the last meeting and also Chris Holder who took time to chat … my daughter also took pics of the Sheffield fans with Steady and some fans and the cup down by the pits …. I’d like to think we are gracious losers and Holder and Steady appreciated it …… as for Jack as he walked past I said well done and all I got was a smirk ….. his brother totally different …. Young Jack still had growing up to do 

4 minutes ago, Gavan said:

I wouldn’t say he’s a gating tart but last night again showed his immaturity…. After the  meeting I had a chat again with Steady who remembered my granddaughter from the last meeting and also Chris Holder who took time to chat … my daughter also took pics of the Sheffield fans with Steady and some fans and the cup down by the pits …. I’d like to think we are gracious losers and Holder and Steady appreciated it …… as for Jack as he walked past I said well done and all I got was a smirk ….. his brother totally different …. Young Jack still had growing up to do 

He's 28 now. I doubt if he will..

43 minutes ago, Bash said:

There was nothing wrong with the track, the gating tart just wasn't making the starts and when he did it was against two far from fit riders in King & Ellis.

He also needs to take a lesson from his brother on how to take a bit of banter😀

Didn't Ellis say on BSN the track wasn't nice to ride ? or words to that effect

Edited by Dornier

Just now, Dornier said:

Didn't Ellis say on BSN the track wasn't nice to ride ?

Haven't seen the BSN stream, I was at the track and maybe it wasn't for Ellis as he has only just come back from injury. Riders weren't getting into trouble.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gavan said:

He is at Ipswich!

I think like others have said on here it had a lot to do with gate picks. Ipswich had the better ones at the beginning and Sheffield got them later on when they pulled the score back, also the lack of big hitters at the end of the meeting came into it. Maybe Ipswich should've picked the worst ones at the start when the away riders struggle and get the better ones later

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trees said:

Surely not???

I was there and saw no blading of the track, it just slickened off naturally. Ipswich gated poorly in general and I did expect more from Ellis and Brennan, given his strong showing the week before. It was never going to be, the best team won. 

7 hours ago, Trees said:

Surely not???

Its a joke for Gavan. On Tigers last visit Gavan claimed the Holders had asked  the track man to blade the track and he had complied. 

Edited by Dornier

3 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I was there and saw no blading of the track, it just slickened off naturally. Ipswich gated poorly in general and I did expect more from Ellis and Brennan, given his strong showing the week before. It was never going to be, the best team won. 

Don't forget that last week, Brennan was riding against Ipswich ...

2 hours ago, Dornier said:

Its a joke for Gavan. On Tigers last visit Gavan claimed the Holders had asked  the track man to blade the track and he had complied. 

In their previous visit J.Holder said on TV that after the first heat he told them to blade the track.

I don't think it was just the gate positions that made a difference - in both matches Ipswich allowed the track to dry and slicken, which was just what Sheffield wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Don't forget that last week, Brennan was riding against Ipswich ...

Ha, I didn't but his gating was worse than his Ipswich teammate in some of his races, so a worse performance I think. 

• Like 1

Didn't Sheffield win this after heat 12 but nobody seemed to realise,  Ippo had 73 to Tigers 89 with only 15 points still available to Ippo 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Didn't Sheffield win this after heat 12 but nobody seemed to realise,  Ippo had 73 to Tigers 89 with only 15 points still available to Ippo 

That's what I was thinking when I seen heat 13 on Facebook.

Been on holiday so not seen the matches yet.

8 hours ago, iainb said:

I commented as such when heat 13 was posted on BSN Facebook 

I got the reply "but riders dont really celebrate until the team passes 91 points"

I resisted replying again about how stupid this was.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, iainb said:

After Ht 11 in my view. 18 behind on aggregate with only 4 races left, so only a mystical series of 5-0s would have done it This was why I was very surprised they left Pearson in Ht 11.

30 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I commented as such when heat 13 was posted on BSN Facebook 

I got the reply "but riders dont really celebrate until the team passes 91 points"

I resisted replying again about how stupid this was.....

From what I can gather, riders don't really know the score at any point of a meeting (let alone a 2 legged match up!)... and why 91?!? It only needed the most basic grasp of maths to work out there was no way Tigers could be caught... back to night school for Mr Stead 😁

Edited by iainb

1 minute ago, iainb said:

From what I can gather, riders don't really know the score, it only needed the most basic grasp of maths to work out there was no way Tigers could be caught... 

There is a mountain of empirical evidence (cf any Kelvin Tatum commentary) to show that there is little point in expecting this to change.

• Haha 1