British Speedway Forum

2025 Team Predictions

5 hours ago, tellboy said:

Jenkins will be a rising star if he wishes next season.

Wrong. 

4 hours ago, SpeedwayFan91 said:

Rob Lyon said last night that he’s eyeing up 9-10 riders atm (obviously can’t sign them all) haha! And he said he’s looking at either Jenkins or Flint at rising star, that came from his mouth as I spoke to him after 

Then he’s another who doesn’t know his arse from his elbow! Is it any wonder your team always end up scrapping for the dregs every winter when you spend half of it chasing ineligible riders?

“Clubs are automatically permitted to retain their existing Rising Star for the following season should they meet the criteria” Flint meets the criteria therefore he’ll be at Birmingham. 

Jenkins isn’t an option either. Once you’ve graduated out of the rising star scheme you can’t drop back in it despite his average now dropping below the 4.00 mark. 

Edited by Steve Irving
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

Wrong. 

Then he’s another who doesn’t know his arse from his elbow! Is it any wonder your team always end up scrapping for the dregs every winter when you spend half of it chasing ineligible riders?

“Clubs are automatically permitted to retain their existing Rising Star for the following season should they meet the criteria” Flint meets the criteria therefore he’ll be at Birmingham. 

Jenkins isn’t an option either. Once you’ve graduated out of the rising star scheme you can’t drop back in it despite his average now dropping below the 4.00 mark. 

But have you considered the option as to whether Birmingham want to retain Flint or not? 

I mean, yes, they would be silly not too considering D Thompson and Rowe have graduated from it now meaning Leon should in theory be the strongest in the league, but stranger things have happened in British Speedway

2 minutes ago, StarBoy said:

But have you considered the option as to whether Birmingham want to retain Flint or not? 

I mean, yes, they would be silly not too considering D Thompson and Rowe have graduated from it now meaning Leon should in theory be the strongest in the league, but stranger things have happened in British Speedway

Would make zero sense not to. I’m personally not too sure this scheme will work for much longer. There isn’t a huge pool of riders good enough left with those who are graduating out of it. There’s going to be a huge disparity between the likes of Flint, and those left on the list who clubs will be forced to choose. I like the idea in theory, but we’ve got to the point now that if it proceeds, we’re likely to see a few of the rising stars half a lap behind everyone else. Nobody wants to see that surely. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Neither at 7 will work for Kings Lynn. Jenkins wasn’t even a rising star this year let alone next, and Birmingham will automatically retain Flint if they come to tapes in 2025. 

That’s as long as the rising star system stays, and doesn’t change. 

How long can you be a rising star for? Surely that would be Flints 4th  or 5th season

6 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Won’t be going yet will waste your time sitting on a phone commenting. 

Yeah,, I think I'm allowed to have a say just like everyone else,, I still have an interest in speedway. Just from outside the stadium these days. 

1 hour ago, Steve Irving said:

Wrong. 

I must admit I haven't seen in the regs about a rule saying you can't drop back into the rising star scheme.Maybe I scanned it too quick.

2 hours ago, StarBoy said:

He should be in theory but he doesn't do it, Birmingham would be better looking else where.

3 hours ago, tellboy said:

I must admit I haven't seen in the regs about a rule saying you can't drop back into the rising star scheme.Maybe I scanned it too quick.

They are only a rough guide and subject to change (as required/desired) anyway....

15 hours ago, Steve Irving said:

Wrong. 

I'm positive when the RS system started that riders who dropped below 4.00 could become "rising stars" again, such as Jenkins. I think he has to be U24 at the start of the season to qualify.

Maybe the rules have changed, but originally that was the case.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Baldyman said:

How long can you be a rising star for? Surely that would be Flints 4th or 5th season

As long as a rider fits the criteria, there is no maximum amount of seasons. I think they have to be U23 or U24 at the start of the season, so Flint could have 2 or more seasons if his average stayed below 4.00.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

As long as a rider fits the criteria, there is no maximum amount of seasons. I think they have to be U23 or U24 at the start of the season, so Flint could have 2 or more seasons if his average stayed below 4.00.

Exactly, that’s why Rob Lyon told me he was possibly looking at Flint or Jenkins to be rising star at Lynn… he’s not an idiot like some recent managers haha

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Indeed,they have to be 23 years old or under on January 1st of year of the new season with an average of below 4.So Jenkins and Flint fit the criteria of a rising star.

17 minutes ago, SpeedwayFan91 said:

Exactly, that’s why Rob Lyon told me he was possibly looking at Flint or Jenkins to be rising star at Lynn… he’s not an idiot like some recent managers haha

That is obviously based on whether Birmingham don't want Flint,and Jenkins wants to be a rising star again.

This has been discussed already on here last winter. Someone explained the rising star rule and I can’t for the life of me remember who it was, but it was a promoter or manager who said that a rising star who graduated out of the system couldn’t then drop back in it the following year even if his age and average allowed. That was some kind of unwritten rule that they were all aware of. Again though, things may have changed. They’d have already had meetings regarding rules for next year so we’ll have to wait and see. 

Edited by Aries

Either way id say it depends on Ipswich first and foremost whether they want to retain him even as the senior reserve. Jenkins has already publicly shown his gratitude to Louis for standing by him when he feared the axe due to poor early season form. If Louis wants him to stay, I can’t see any way he’d say no thanks and sign for Lynn or anyone else. 

29 minutes ago, Aries said:

This has been discussed already on here last winter. Someone explained the rising star rule and I can’t for the life of me remember who it was, but it was a promoter or manager who said that a rising star who graduated out of the system couldn’t then drop back in it the following year even if his age and average allowed. That was some kind of unwritten rule that they were all aware of. Again though, things may have changed. They’d have already had meetings regarding rules for next year so we’ll have to wait and see. 

Hmmmm

Unwritten rule / gentleman's agreement

We've seen how well they work already....

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm positive when the RS system started that riders who dropped below 4.00 could become "rising stars" again, such as Jenkins. I think he has to be U24 at the start of the season to qualify.

Maybe the rules have changed, but originally that was the case.

Not sure about the age, at Peterborough we had Tom Bacon who I believe was older but I could be wrong.