British Speedway Forum

2025 Team Predictions

1 hour ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Yes, this huge disadvantage of having the weakest Rising Stars must explain why Leicester and Belle Vue with the weakest Rising Stars, are scrapping it out at the bottom of the league, and King's Lynn and Birmingham with the two strongest Rising Stars, are fighting out the play-off final.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Are you saying some clubs are not at a disadvantage because they’re at the top end of the league? You can be sitting top of the pile by a country mile, and still be disadvantaged at rising star. Even more credit to those clubs who are up there in spite of having crap rising stars. 

1 hour ago, Steve Irving said:

That makes no sense whatsoever. Are you saying some clubs are not at a disadvantage because they’re at the top end of the league? You can be sitting top of the pile by a country mile, and still be disadvantaged at rising star. Even more credit to those clubs who are up there in spite of having crap rising stars. 

Makes perfect sense to me. He's pointing out facts.

The teams with the disadvantage of the weakest RS are at the top end of the league.

The teams with the advantage of the strongest RS are at the bottom end of the league.

Therefore, the relative strengths of the RS are pretty insignificant in the scheme of things.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

That’s completely besides the point as you’re probably fully aware. You’re arguing for arguments sake. there is a huge disparity between the riders on the rising star list, that’s a simple fact. There are a select few that are clearly above others. There are seven members of a team, some clubs have done a far better job with their top six than others, that doesn’t mean they’re not disadvantaged at rising star due to having last pick. If a club has one of the strongest rising stars and fail to reach the play offs, all that simply means is they’ve been unlucky with injuries and/or simply made a poor job of building the rest of their side. It’s blatantly obvious to anyone with a bit of common sense why King’s Lynn or Birmingham haven’t made the play offs.

You could have a situation next year where a club with the last pick (and why should they get last pick btw simply because they were successful the previous season?) are forced in to picking a rider they’ll likely have to carry. 0,0,0 against Leon Flint or Jason Edwards who could chip in with 4 or 5 points some meetings. So you’re looking at a swing of 8/10 points you’ve got to overcome through an unfair selection process. 

I’m not a fan and never have been. We have a points limit, let the clubs sign whichever septet they choose within the points limit. 

The rising star scheme hasn't really been a success and hasn't really been fit for purpose at all for a couple of seasons

Only Brennan has progressed out of the scheme and is still in a side

Others moving out have already been jettisoned 

The fact that the Championship dropped it even though that's the natural start point is more pertinent

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, 1stbendharry said:

Think Belle Vue will beed to get the cheque book out if they want Zischke next season he wont come cheap from Workington

he can just double up don't have to buy him :t:

On 9/7/2024 at 1:29 PM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The rising star scheme hasn't really been a success and hasn't really been fit for purpose at all for a couple of seasons

Only Brennan has progressed out of the scheme and is still in a side

Others moving out have already been jettisoned 

The fact that the Championship dropped it even though that's the natural start point is more pertinent

Jordan Jenkins?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1stbendharry said:

I know that... I also know that a talent like that will be a good financial option for Workington

Do clubs still buy riders off other teams? I wouldn’t. I’d offer a team place to a lad and if things got in the way I’d move on to the next. 

8 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Jordan Jenkins?

Indeed - although still in reserve berth with an average that has fallen. Had he not been at Ipswich where Chris is known for his loyalty to riders I'd expect he would've be dropped too

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1stbendharry said:

I know that... I also know that a talent like that will be a good financial option for Workington

Nobody buys riders these days. 

• Like 1

Personally like to see something like this for Sheffield’s 2025 team based on 40 points and Edwards being allowed back as a RS, oh and Polands Ekstraliga 2 Thursday TV matches being worked into British calendar to allow riders to race here:

1. Jack Holder 8.85

2. Kyle Howarth (5.18) 5.05 2.5% reduction

3. Josh Pickering 6.74

4. Chris Harris (6.22) 6.07 2.5% reduction

5. Chris Holder 8.79

6. Anders Rowe (5.21) 3.91 25% reduction

7. Jason Edwards (RS) 

Total - 39.41

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4BM said:

Personally like to see something like this for Sheffield’s 2025 team based on 40 points and Edwards being allowed back as a RS, oh and Polands Ekstraliga 2 Thursday TV matches being worked into British calendar to allow riders to race here:

1. Jack Holder 8.85

2. Kyle Howarth (5.18) 5.05 2.5% reduction

3. Josh Pickering 6.74

4. Chris Harris (6.22) 6.07 2.5% reduction

5. Chris Holder 8.79

6. Anders Rowe (5.21) 3.91 25% reduction

7. Jason Edwards (RS) 

Total - 39.41

I'm fairly sure that the 25pc discount on a rider leaving the rising star scheme is only applicable to the team he was the rising star for, to stop clubs reaping the benefit of others work

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, castrolargh said:

I'm fairly sure that the 25pc discount on a rider leaving the rising star scheme is only applicable to the team he was the rising star for, to stop clubs reaping the benefit of others work

yes that's correct. 

54 minutes ago, castrolargh said:

48 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

yes that's correct. 

I’m not sure that “rule” exists. Ipswich signed Jenkins on a reduced 25% average this year despite him spending the previous year at Peterborough. 

But I haven’t seen any such rule. The only interpretation I’ve seen is riders graduating out of the rising star scheme are given a 25% “helping hand” reduction so as not to be left on the scrap heap. Rowe is a good case in point here. Done very well, and would likely have his pick of clubs on a 3.91 average, but on 5.21, probably not so much interest and in danger of being left out. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I’m not sure that “rule” exists. Ipswich signed Jenkins on a reduced 25% average this year despite him spending the previous year at Peterborough. 

But I haven’t seen any such rule. The only interpretation I’ve seen is riders graduating out of the rising star scheme are given a 25% “helping hand” reduction so as not to be left on the scrap heap. Rowe is a good case in point here. Done very well, and would likely have his pick of clubs on a 3.91 average, but on 5.21, probably not so much interest and in danger of being left out. 

Isn't he owned by Ipswich though?  Also Boro not riding this year so Jenkins had no choice but to move?

Either way this is British Speedway so we all know the rules will be changed to suit.

3 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

Isn't he owned by Ipswich though?  Also Boro not riding this year so Jenkins had no choice but to move?

Either way this is British Speedway so we all know the rules will be changed to suit.

No Jenkins isn’t an Ipswich asset. And Peterborough not riding is irrelevant. If there is a rule that another club can’t benefit from picking up another clubs rising star, then Ipswich would have had to use him on his actual average rather than the reduced average they signed him on regardless of Peterborough riding or not so that rule simply can’t exist.