British Speedway Forum

Danish GP Vojens Saturday 14th September

13 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Dean

Always though you and Moggo got on well when at Berwick.Yes or No will don’t want to stir anything up.

Yes I got on with everyone at Berwick,,great lads and great supporters including moggo and his Mrs sue, I loved it at Berwick 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 12:36 PM, Grachan said:

That's a terrible idea. It reduces winning the GP to the status of winning the second half. I actually think the current scoring is fine. It's only hard to work out because poor old Kelvin isn't very good at maths so just confuses everyone - including himself.

The winner of the GP should be the top scorer. 

Anyway, well done Robert Lambert, and congratulations to Bartosz Zmarzlik on yet another "asterix" World Championship.

I'm still not convinced he is as great as other winners with a similar amount of wins though. Imagine someone like Leigh Adams riding in a field this strength instead of Bartosz. We'd probably be talking about Leigh Adams as one of the greatest riders of all time instead of "best rider never to be World Champion".

How many World Championships would Jason Crump have won if Tony Rickardsson and Nicki Pedersen had been banned? Does he suddenly become the greatest of all time by default.

You can only beat what is in front of you though, and Zmarzlik is doing that every year with a GP to spare.

Apart from wanting the GP winner to be the top scorer, which I don't agree with, but understand why people want that. There are many issues with the current scoring system.

If 5 riders are tied on 6 points, why do you need to split them via countback?

If someone scores a 15 point max but has an ef in the semi, do they really only deserve 9 points?

The other issue is after semi 1, you don't know if the 3rd finisher is 5th or 6th, or if the 4th finisher is 7th or 8th. The world title / rostrum position / top 6 qualifiers could end up being decided by the meeting wildcard!

There are far simpler ways to ensure the GP winner ends up with the most points, if that has to be done.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The other issue is after semi 1, you don't know if the 3rd finisher is 5th or 6th, or if the 4th finisher is 7th or 8th. 

But you do in 2 minutes time after semi 2. People moan about riders do not bust a gut in some races up to heat 20 - well all the points from 12 down are based on total points scored in the riders 5 rides.

10 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The other issue is after semi 1, you don't know if the 3rd finisher is 5th or 6th, or if the 4th finisher is 7th or 8th. The world title / rostrum position / top 6 qualifiers could end up being decided by the meeting wildcard!

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

But you do in 2 minutes time after semi 2. People moan about riders do not bust a gut in some races up to heat 20 - well all the points from 12 down are based on total points scored in the riders 5 rides.

It's not the length of time between the semi finals that's my issue, I just find it daft that a riders score is decided by what another rider does in the following race!

Say Lambert is 7th highest qualifier, in semi 1 he finishes 4th. If the 8th highest qualifier finishes 4th in semi 2 he'll get 10 points, otherwise he'll get 9 points. Why should Lambert's score differ based on wether Lindgren or Bewley (for example) finished last in the following heat?

Edited by szkocjasid

3 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

It's not the length of time between the semi finals that's my issue, I just find it daft that a riders score is decided by what another rider does in the following race!

Say Lambert is 7th highest qualifier, in semi 1 he finishes 4th. If the 8th highest qualifier finishes 4th in semi 2 he'll get 10 points, otherwise he'll get 9 points. Why should Lambert's score differ based on wether Lindgren or Bewley (for example) finished last in the following heat?

I think we can all agree (:D) this scoring system has been a complete joke since day 1, the only positive is that the winner of the GP gets the most points but you could operate any other system and make sure that happened. 

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Because it's based on position in the meeting. I actually like the current scoring system. I wasn't sure at first, but now I think it's better than before. Sorry.