British Speedway Forum

Danish GP Vojens Saturday 14th September

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

To a certain extent I do agree Dean..

However .

In such a tiny global sport, if I could guarantee circa £500k a year (and maybe more), riding in Poland, Sweden and the UK, for ten years or more, and never see my name as the World Champ...

I am not sure I would be fussed .

Edit..

If Dan became World Champ, he would arrive at the NSS on a Monday night with barely 1800 there to celebrate with him...

If Robert became World Champ, he wouldn't even have a UK track to celebrate at..

I just think life is about things you can’t buy so have to achieve them, when you’re gone the only one who benefits from your wealth is the government(they get it in the end )

• Like 1

Just now, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I just think life is about things you can’t buy so have to achieve them, when you’re gone the only one who benefits from your wealth is the government(they get it in the end )

Way too deep for me mate..

Halfway down a bottle of Jameson's.........😁

• Like 1

Just now, TheSmiler said:

Kelvin Tatum “and umm, err”. Every other sentence! 

Being serious for a moment, I do  think that Kelvin has a health problem of some sort.

He slurs his words and trips up quite often if you notice.

These could be signs of 'early onset' of something. I do think he needs to get a medical check up. 

2 minutes ago, JoeW436 said:

The majority of them are solid riders (2 or 3 wasting their time being there) but there’s no stars anymore, no one who has that arrogance on and off track to challenge Bartosz, he could win this for the next 5 years at least if nobody comes to the fore.

Ten years of riding as a HL in Poland can earn you £5m and more...

Why risk (literally sometimes sadly), "all" to win a World Championship that hardly anyone in the 7 billion on the planet, will know about..

Bartek is Nicki P, Gollob, Crump, Trick, Mauger, Olsen Fundin, Penhall and Briggs level of intensity and "ruthless" will to win...

The rest of the lads can earn a "fortune" without having to take such risks..

2 minutes ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Commentators seem to be implying that Zmarzlik has surpassed Gollob.

What nonsense.

Gollob rode vs Rickardsson, Crump and Pedersen.

Zmarzlik rides vs a bunch of bums.

Zmarzlik has the benefit of not riding vs Artem Laguta.

To even mention Zmarzlik in the same breath as dear old Tommy G is a crime against humanity in itself. Now htere was a great speedway rider. BZ has a real long way to go before he can me mentioned in the same breath. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

Ten years of riding as a HL in Poland can earn you £5m and more...

Why risk (literally sometimes sadly), "all" to win a World Championship that hardly anyone in the 7 billion on the planet, will know about..

Bartek is Nicki P, Gollob, Crump, Trick, Mauger, Olsen Fundin, Penhall and Briggs level of intensity and "ruthless" will to win...

The rest of the lads can earn a "fortune" without having to take such risks..

Maybe you're right and I maybe misguided, surely being a Speedway rider means you're in it to win at least for the younger riders.  Money is wonderful, but racers want to win???

1 minute ago, Shockster said:

Maybe you're right and I maybe misguided, surely being a Speedway rider means you're in it to win at least for the younger riders.  Money is wonderful, but racers want to win???

I agree..

But, the days of being World Champion and getting you "made for life" are long gone..

I am, sadly, old enough to remember the mid 70's when winning the World Title was quoted by Dave Lanning as "guaranteeing" you £250k as a minimum the following year.

In 1978 PC got a months ban for arriving back late for the start of the season due a flight issue in the US, and, in his book, he said that the month cost him over £20k 😯 in lost earnings here and in Germany riding long track on a Sunday...

Poland pay you the "life changing" money these days, not the World Championships..

• Like 2