British Speedway Forum

Danish GP Vojens Saturday 14th September

9 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Could be a great race track if they just put some more grip into it...

When it rains it often delivers some very good racing..

Racers will go out to find the grip, and those less capable will stay on the slick...

Seems quite patchy. Riders are going out to try and find and then going backwards.

Just now, tomhaines said:

Will someone please tell Kelvin that Lebedevs is NOT from Riga! Such an unprofessional commentator 

I am just hanging around to see if he has an orgasm if and when BZ wins his fifth!!!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Shockster said:

It's only a matter of time.  He's the best, but still soured with no Sayfutdinov and Laguta

There doesn't seem to be that "win at all costs" mentality that Trick, Crump, Gollob and Pedersen in particular ran with...

Just one generation of riders ago..

Five or six riders went to the tapes at the start of the GP"s each year with a chance of winning..

Now there is one, without Laguta and Emil..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

On his day was a fairly quick rider but his EFs were Bizzare, he would just stop half way through a race and come back in pits and speak to his dad for a bit and then go out and win his next ride without finding a fault in his bike? I can remember trying to speak to him about an EF and he just said “I’ve sorted it “ and sure enough he would do four laps, it was always a worry to put him in a last heat decider as you never knew if a EF was mysteriously going to occur, he stopped in so many races, I alway thought he wasn’t quite right in his head, maybe that’s a bit of a harsh thing to say but he wasn’t having bike issues when he stopped 

Pretty much the way I saw it. He would be cruising - then stop. And act like nothing happened...

9 minutes ago, mikebv said:

There doesn't seem to be that "win at all costs" mentality that Trick, Crump, Gollob and Pedersen in particular ran with...

Just one generation of riders ago..

Five or six riders went to the tapes at the start of the GP"s each year with a chance of winning..

Now there is one, without Laguta and Emil..

I have said it before and I will say it here. More than once I have thought that most riders are happy to let BZ get on with it and that they are content to follow in his train. In other words if is seen to make the supreme effort then people might not notice if we don't.

And just after I wrote the above Chris Louis almost said as much with 'it looks as if Freddie has thrown the towel in'. Precisely my point. 

Edited by Mr. Clemens
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

I have said it before and I will say it here. More than once I have thought that most riders are happy to let BZ get on with it and that they are content to follow in his train. In other words if is seen to make the supreme effort then people might not notice if we don't.

And just after I wrote the above Chris Louis almost said as much with 'it looks as if Freddie has thrown the towel in'. Precisely my point. 

Lads now earn "hundreds of thousands" in Poland..

Maybe "self preservation" is now a larger priority than putting everything on the line to win a World Title? 

You win one World Title you earn "x"..

You ride ten years at the top in Poland and earn many, many times more..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Maybe "self preservation" is now a larger priority than putting everything on the line to win a World Title? 

Bart is doing both as I see it !

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

But will anybody remember Piotr protasiewicz in years to come ? Money isn’t everything 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It always all comes down to money. I do believe that most riders are not really interested in being WC.

Even Tatum, commenting on Freddie having a bad night, and Robert Lambert being the only one 'who can save the meeting', seems to be beginning to realise that if things don't change the GPs will be pointless.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

But will anybody remember Piotr protasiewicz in years to come ? Money isn’t everything 

To a certain extent I do agree Dean..

However .

In such a tiny global sport, if I could guarantee circa £500k a year (and maybe more), riding in Poland, Sweden and the UK, for ten years or more, and never see my name as the World Champ...

I am not sure I would be fussed .

Edit..

If Dan became World Champ, he would arrive at the NSS on a Monday night with barely 1800 there to celebrate with him...

If Robert became World Champ, he wouldn't even have a UK track to celebrate at..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

To a certain extent I do agree Dean..

However .

In such a tiny global sport, if I could guarantee circa £500k a year (and maybe more), riding in Poland, Sweden and the UK, for ten years or more, and never see my name as the World Champ...

I am not sure I would be fussed .

Agree,financial security for the family first imo.

• Like 2