British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lion Cubs - League Champions

Before today there was an unlikely mathematical possibility that the Chargers could defend their league title. But as a result of the Lion Cubs winning at Oxford this afternoon that possibility no longer exists.

Congratulations to Leicester Lion Cubs - 2024 NDL Champions

• Like 1

Well done, Leicester. I was at Oxford yesterday and actually felt a bit sorry for the Leicester lads - they got a great reception from the Oxford fans as they did their victory lap after heat 15, but I got the impression they were looking for their own supporters. Really poor turn out from Leicester. Can't be arsed to drive from Leicester to Oxford on a pleasant Sunday afternoon to see your boys win a league title?

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Chairboy said:

Well done, Leicester. I was at Oxford yesterday and actually felt a bit sorry for the Leicester lads - they got a great reception from the Oxford fans as they did their victory lap after heat 15, but I got the impression they were looking for their own supporters. Really poor turn out from Leicester. Can't be arsed to drive from Leicester to Oxford on a pleasant Sunday afternoon to see your boys win a league title?

Looked like a pretty good turnout to me, remember this is the NDL and not the first team. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 8:19 AM, Chairboy said:

You obviously didnt look onthe back straight. Based on what I have seen away and at the NDL home meeting I would say Leicester is the best supported NDL team away from home.

• Like 2

Fair enough, Arnie & Mr Lion. For what it's worth, Leicester deserve great credit for being one of the dwindling number of clubs who are committed to NDL racing. As we all know, there are quite a few clubs who see themselves as 'big' who can't be bothered to do so.

• Like 3

I think the issue with a clubs commitment is finance based. Clubs like Leicester have long leases on their stadium for exclusive use. Therefore no additional hire charge for an NDL team, where as clubs who are tenants would have to pay an additional hire charge for an NDL fixture. That does not excuse teams like Kings Lynn from not running an NDL team. Also the competitive nature of an NDL meeting is often more entertaining that some of the Championship & Premiership meetings I have watched recently. 

• Like 3

Some Premiership and Championship clubs could run an NDL team but choose not to, for whatever reason. We were close to not having an NDL in 2024 because of a shortage of teams. So here's a question: When one of these clubs finds themselves in need of a young rider to step in at reserve at short notice, should they be allowed to use someone from the NDL, even though they presumably couldn't care if the NDL didn't exist?

13 hours ago, Chairboy said:

Some Premiership and Championship clubs could run an NDL team but choose not to, for whatever reason. We were close to not having an NDL in 2024 because of a shortage of teams. So here's a question: When one of these clubs finds themselves in need of a young rider to step in at reserve at short notice, should they be allowed to use someone from the NDL, even though they presumably couldn't care if the NDL didn't exist?

Yes of course they should because ultimately you are hindering the progress of the rider if you do not allow it.

• Like 1

Actually I agree with your answer, SJA. But can you see the point I was making? Certain clubs make no contribution to the NDL, but they want the league and the riders to be there and available to them, when it suits them.

26 minutes ago, Chairboy said:

Actually I agree with your answer, SJA. But can you see the point I was making? Certain clubs make no contribution to the NDL, but they want the league and the riders to be there and available to them, when it suits them.

Absolutely, I do.

It is hard for clubs that don't have 24/7 access to their stadium to run an additional NDL team as the hire cost for the Premiership meeting will be the same as for an NDL meeting but without the same revenue stream. However that does not excuse clubs like Kings Lynn from running an NDL team.

• Like 1