British Speedway Forum

1963 PLRC - Qualifiers for Final

Beirao

Maciej Jankowski's controversial elimination from the Cardiff GP semi final reminds me of the 1963 PLRC at Belle Vue When five riders tied on nine points but only two places in the final remained open to them. What was the first decision to split them  - heat wins? Fastest times? Whatever it was it provoked a sit down strike and ultimately a five man run off was ordered. 

May be this should have been done at Cardiff. 

• Like 1

Its not that there wasn't a way to resolve the problem at Cardiff, it is all in the rules....the problem was they took too long to decide it or forgot about it....who knows!

There was no way to split any of the riders tied on nine points, all had identical results from their five heats, even I knew that...one rider had beaten another who was in turn beaten by another etc etc etc.....The only way to split them was on the Rankings as is in the rules for pretty much everything, your Ranking means something in GP Speedway.

BUT, I will add, do I think its fair? NO I don't, a run-off is always the fair way to do it BUT its NOT in the rules.....

3 hours ago, andout said:

Its not that there wasn't a way to resolve the problem at Cardiff, it is all in the rules....the problem was they took too long to decide it or forgot about it....who knows!

There was no way to split any of the riders tied on nine points, all had identical results from their five heats, even I knew that...one rider had beaten another who was in turn beaten by another etc etc etc.....The only way to split them was on the Rankings as is in the rules for pretty much everything, your Ranking means something in GP Speedway.

BUT, I will add, do I think its fair? NO I don't, a run-off is always the fair way to do it BUT its NOT in the rules.....

That's the thing, as the riders finished their heats, they SHOULD have known exactly where each one stood in relation to the others. If they knew it was going to rankings (which they should have done), it should have been decided and announced within seconds.

20 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I think Jimmy Squibb threatened that he and some others said they would walk out of the meeting if the run off did not take place.

Not sure it was Squibby, he wasn't even in the running for a run-off place....but of course, he may have made his voice known.....

3 hours ago, andout said:

Not sure it was Squibby, he wasn't even in the running for a run-off place....but of course, he may have made his voice known.....

The five riders concerned, in order of finishing, were: George Hunter, Ross Gilbertson, Ray Cresp, Clive Featherby and Maurie Mattingley.

Jimmy Squibb finished 12th with 6 points.

Edited by norbold

13 hours ago, andout said:

Think it was Squibby and they had an on track protest.The same 2 riders made the Final though.Hunter and Gilbertson were in the original Final line up.The only difference was that they had to change Helmet Covers.