British Speedway Forum

American riders in Britain

Do any forum members remember DeWayne Keeter who rode for Leicester in 1969, and tragically died following a track crash. He was the first American to ride in the British League. I may be one of the few forum members who saw him in action. 

2 hours ago, customhouseregularisback said:

Do any forum members remember DeWayne Keeter who rode for Leicester in 1969, and tragically died following a track crash. He was the first American to ride in the British League. I may be one of the few forum members who saw him in action. 

Yep, I remember him.......

Yes I most certainly do, he was good but not as good as the ones who came after. Was the second one over Scott Autrey?-he was a great rider, third in the one off World Championship. I thought once that he might go on to be World Champ.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Yes I most certainly do, he was good but not as good as the ones who came after. Was the second one over Scott Autrey?-he was a great rider, third in the one off World Championship. I thought once that he might go on to be World Champ.

Scott, was an awesome rider especially around Plough Lane. It was a shame that Wimbledon never took the plunge on his raw talents in 1973, as the would have made an extremely strong heat leaders for the Dons.

4 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Steve bast rode a couple of matches for Wembley 1970

13 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Scott was one of three who came over in 1973. The other two were Sumner McNight and Rick Woods but neither stayed very long. If I recall Woods returned home after he learned that he wasn't eligible to take part in the World Championship?

19 hours ago, customhouseregularisback said:

Yes, I saw him ride when the Lions visited Dudley Wood in 1969. He only got 1 point from 3 rides. but an average of 4.88 in his debut season suggests he would have been a bigger success if he'd returned to these shores. Best remembered I suppose as a member of that 1969 Leicester line up that were all ever presents in the British League. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 6:35 AM, salty said:

Yes, I saw him ride when the Lions visited Dudley Wood in 1969. He only got 1 point from 3 rides. but an average of 4.88 in his debut season suggests he would have been a bigger success if he'd returned to these shores. Best remembered I suppose as a member of that 1969 Leicester line up that were all ever presents in the British League. 

I saw him at Plough Lane. Had two rides, with one DNF (after a fall), and a second half outing. Didnae score a point, so I can't say he left a real impression on me. Still, I'm sure he could have made an impact with another season or two in the UK.

Kind of unusual for an American to struggle at Wimbledon...

On 8/24/2024 at 4:09 PM, customhouseregularisback said:

Saw him in action at Coatbridge for Leicester 

Edited by Fromafar
  • Thanks 1

Taken from the Speedway Riders Index 1929-2022

DeWayne KEETER Born: 15 October 1944, Ventura, California, USA. Died: 2 May 1975 - following a track crash at Ascot Park, USA. Career record: (1969) Leicester. International honours: USA international (2 caps).