British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue V Sheffield - Mon 26th @ noon

9 minutes ago, spin king junior said:

So what do we do in this circumstance?  He's ridden through the pain barrier in the Belle Vue meeting, cannot adequately recover over the hours and pulls out of the next meeting. 

Look i think we all agree riders pulling out has been a massive problem this season, but in this circumstance it's a legitimate injury and one where Brady has tried to ride through it. I think as a sport we have got to find the balance of where we do challenge those who are taking the mick, but we have to look after the riders who are injured or carrying an injury.

It’s an easy thing to police. Riders who complete league meetings abroad then give the UK a miss need to be dealt with. 

You will get the very odd circumstance where a rider aggravates an injury or like Dan has some other accident (he got hit by a car whilst bike riding) but these are easily qualified. 

The only other issue is for those few not rights who think a rider going for individual glory whilst injured like Kurtz, Collins, Carter etc are a holes and should be banned. Grim. 

• Like 1

1st of all best wishes to Brady and a return to full fitness & this a genuine injury but if rides for Dackarna tonight ? he has to ride for Aces on weds at Lynn otherwise he will get a ban this time if he doesn't ride then he will more than likely ride for rybnik at the weekend then Aces next match is play/offs on 9th Sept it is also well roumered that kurtz is leaving rybnik and going to wroclaw in place of woffinden or torun ? so he could stand up to rybnik's demand? if he does get a ban over here that's any slim chance Aces had of winning title gone  ? the story will concluded if he rides tonight? finally agree with all comments about poor PR from b/vue :t:

43 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

To be clear, you can’t have riders deciding which meetings to do. That’s not credible or fair in the slightest. And no, rider replacement or guests isn’t very credible neither.

what is ‘riding within himself’ have to do with anything?

Riders can get injured at any time and are often riding within themselves because of it. Not a credible reason neither.

riders missing meetings IS an issue, that’s the issue! No other country teams would allow you to just miss a meeting to suit and nor should the UK accept it.

The silence from official sources is even worse. 
what is the valid reason why Kurtz was missing on the night? It’s a question that needs answering because he has already done it this season with zero penalty. (Yes we know all the circumstances why before anyone points them all out).

We cannot accept that riders can just go missing and it not be an issue. Particularly a meeting that’s live on Eurosport, and one that showed he racing during the day in the same country.

Just barmy. 

All very valid, however..

Meetings still get planned in knowing riders won't be available due to riding elsewhere....

Which suggests the whole shebang isn't taken too seriously even by those who run it..

Thus, riders seem to come and go as they please, or, possibly more accurately maybe? as Poland tells them..

27 minutes ago, ouch said:

Firstly get well soon Brady. It’s great to see a rider not take the pee out of the sport here in the UK like so many others who will complete foreign league meetings then swerve the UK. Brady’s never done that and will always if possible turn out for the UK fans, similar to Doyle. Must be an Aussie thing. 

Except if your names Tungate 

9 minutes ago, mikebv said:

On the unofficial FB page someone (presumably in the know), said that they do lots of social media in the background to those who don't currently follow the sport..

Which sounds good..

However, peeing off your actual customers by not communicating to them isn't a good thing to do, I would suggest...

Mark Lemon a while back talked something about Speedway being "a best kept secret"...

Well, given their lack of promotion of the sport, it always will be...

I've said before..

Literally thousands of kids play sport at weekends...

Therefore why not sponsor some of the leagues? You would have access to thousands of parents, carers and their kids, for very little outlay...

The league my lad used to play in as a kid had over 2000 kids aged U8 to U16 and took two days to do all the prizes at the end of the season prize giving..

With the trophies costing around £4k..

There are dozens of various sports leagues right on the doorsteps of speedway clubs, with tens of thousands of kids and parents who have never been to speedway, or maybe even never have heard of it...

A perfect demographic to aim for..

There’s loads of kids who play football at the weekend on the centre green with their parents in tow. They know about speedway but don’t want to go. As I’ve said many times, it’s difficult for us to take being fans of the sport but people don’t like speedway. Must admit, if I came across the sport on TV or social media clips I’d think it was a load of boring poo. If I did happen to attend with any regularity I’d soon stop due to all the cheating that goes on. Before you ask why do I still attend, well it’s in my blood after more than half a century but having said that my attendance has dropped by 80% due to the above. 

29 minutes ago, ouch said:

It’s not uncommon for the staging promotion to veto information about missing riders due to the adverse effect it has on their crowds. 

No club takes more fans to an away track than when The Aces visit Owlerton. 

Yes definitely but that is one aspect f this sport that needs to seriously change as it continually annoys the core supporters, and having other websites providing information and results etc doesn’t absolve the clubs from doing it themselves.

If the sport wants to improve its image it seriously needs to improve its information and integrity.

Belle Vue would have known Kurtz wasn’t riding at Sheffield at the latest after they rode the first leg midday and probably much earlier, it’s deceiving the supporters and it’s about time this practice was ended.

I did the PR and website news for a few years and posting results, basic news and scores takes minutes, finding out Kurtz wasn’t riding when they arrived at Sheffield is an absolute disgrace for supporters who have taken the time to travel and support their team.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

what is ‘riding within himself’ have to do with anything?

Riders can get injured at any time and are often riding within themselves because of it.

Chris Holder pretty much said that while being interviewed last night. 

15 minutes ago, spin king junior said:

So what do we do in this circumstance?  He's ridden through the pain barrier in the Belle Vue meeting, cannot adequately recover over the hours and pulls out of the next meeting. 

Your official source for this information?

7 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

If you think no other league puts up with riders missing meetings you want to take a look at the Swedish league. RR was used 37 times in the 56 regular season matches and 3 teams Smederna, Rospiggarna  and Piraterna used it in 50% of their matches.

... and they also operate a squad system to cover for missing riders and still operate RR

3 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Yes definitely but that is one aspect f this sport that needs to seriously change as it continually annoys the core supporters, and having other websites providing information and results etc doesn’t absolve the clubs from doing it themselves.

If the sport wants to improve its image it seriously needs to improve its information and integrity.

Belle Vue would have known Kurtz wasn’t riding at Sheffield at the latest after they rode the first leg midday and probably much earlier, it’s deceiving the supporters and it’s about time this practice was ended.

Agreed. 
However Belle Vue didn’t deceive any of their paying customers. 

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

Your official source for this information?

What are you on about? It's fairly clear that's what's happened, I don't need an official confirmation. If you want more riders sacking off british speedway that's fine, let's just kill off the sport quicker.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ouch said:

Agreed. 
However Belle Vue didn’t deceive any of their paying customers. 

So you are saying all the BV fans who went to Sheffield for the 2nd leg knew Kurtz wasn’t riding before they travelled ?

Just now, bigcatdiary said:

So you are saying all the BV fans who went to Sheffield for the 2nd leg knew Kurtz wasn’t riding before they travelled ?

No. 
I’m saying Belle Vue didn’t get any gate money from the evening fixture. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stevebrum said:

How poor are the Aces away? Shockingly bad.

The usual meeting at Owlerton tho seems it’s the usual fare of little passing.

Good to see the Tigers so dominant. Gonna be tough with rr or guest for Woffy tho in the play offs.

Very silent on Kurtz, is he picking meetings again like so many taking the wee this season?

I agree Steve what possible could Kurtz have been doing earlier in the day to get injured.  PS you don't have to fall off a bike to get injured. :)

12 hours ago, iainb said:

That wasn't hard to post was it... shame The Arses couldn't be aced... sorry The Aces be arsed :D

I agree here it's something all teams need to better at.

13 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Bit of a piss take he’s fit to ride at bv a few hours earlier but can’t do the evening meeting, you’re either fit enough to do both meetings or don’t do either. 

Yes that really makes sense, don't talk silly.

Just read a,swedish report from Dackarna kurtz not riding tonight due to cracked ribs sustained in Poland breathing problems yesterday went to hospital so it likely he will miss Lynn on weds ? if he rides for rybnik at weekend? he will probably be fit for play/offs 9th Sept it would be nice if Aces could report this instead of fans finding out through other media??

Edited by AceBelle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

Just read a,swedish report from Dackarna kurtz not riding tonight due to cracked ribs sustained in Poland breathing problems yesterday went to hospital so it likely he will miss Lynn on weds ? if he rides for rybnik at weekend? he will probably be fit for play/offs 9th Sept it would be nice if Aces could report this instead of fans finding out through other media??

Ahhhhh,...

The old cracked ribs, difficulty breathing, gone to hospital excuse.... 😁

Hopefully back for weekend as the Polish play offs should be a good watch, but cannot imagine riding a speedway bike and damaged ribs are a great combination..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Ahhhhh,...

Hopefully back for weekend as the Polish play offs should be a good watch, but cannot imagine riding a speedway bike and damaged ribs are a great combination..

We will all have to wait and see how it all unfolds :unsure: 

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Ahhhhh,...

Surely it would have been a good idea to let supporters know that there was doubt and that he was riding through the pain barrier and would see how it went?

It's simple comms like this that would stop all some of the moaning at least. As a non BV or Sheffield fan watching that I had no idea what had happened, and let's face it speedway is a sport for the embittered old cynic in all of us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

Surely it would have been a good idea to let supporters know that there was doubt and that he was riding through the pain barrier and would see how it went?

It's simple comms like this that would stop all some of the moaning at least. As a non BV or Sheffield fan watching that I had no idea what had happened, and let's face it speedway is a sport for the embittered old cynic in all of us.

Been that way for decades...

I would think the betting companies might want a bit more clarity too...