British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue V Sheffield - Mon 26th @ noon

3 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Injury Statement - After a crash in Krosno last weekend I’ve been having a lot of problems with my chest and breathing during matches. It increasingly got worse, come Monday at Belle Vue I was unable to race at the level I or my team would expect. Monday afternoon I went for x-rays and have 2 cracked ribs at the top of my chest. I’ve taken this week off to recover as much as I can and give myself a chance to perform at my best in the play offs for Rybnik this weekend along with Belle Vue and Dackarna in the following weeks.

Ps. I was also struggling for breath that much that I wasn't able to inform my club that I wouldn't be riding for them until a few minutes ago by Facebook Messenger.

That's a joke for those of you with no sense of humour. Belle Vue really don't help their riders with their wall of silence.

4 hours ago, SUPERACE said:

They will have known obviously. 

But probably not as early as Belle Vue did. Football teams don't leave it to the home team to announce both sides, they put their own team sheets on social media. Personally, I didn't care who was riding for you, but I'm sure some of your own fans would have liked to have known before setting off as it was obviously going to have an impact on your chances, so they may have decided to stay home and save the petrol and admission money.

• Like 2

Seems to be a lot of angry people on here. It’s only speedway, not life and death. Riders get injured - some over egg it, others perhaps ride when they shouldn’t, it’s always been the way of the world. Some people like watching fast racing which may compromise the ability to overtake, others like watching technical racing and waiting for an error to make the opportunity to pass, each to their own.

Don’t think there is any dispute that racing at Owlerton is not as good as it used to be, think it is down to the engines rather than the track, but there is still some cracking racing. Some meetings are better than others - last night maybe wasn’t brilliant, but BV not making a fight of it until Bewley got his bike working after the battle was lost didn’t help. I for one don’t think meetings ever look as good or as exciting in TV as they do in real life and Sheffield probably suffers from that more than most because you can’t get a feel for the speed which (to me) is part of the sport.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, iainb said:

Not sure why you keep going on about trolling? You told me I was trolling the other week when you couldn't be arsed to search out the details of Mr Kurtz's previous misdemeanours and then I provided them to you. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't have a problem with Kurtz being injured, I do have a problem with inconsistent application of the rules and non- information from clubs in what had supposed to be a professional sport. If Speedway had any kind of serious press interest it'd be sunk on day 1, probably best to stay in the doldrums until the promoters can get their houses in order. 

Then it will stay in the doldrums as that day will never come...

Similar to the guestfest nonsense which forms an integral part of the operating model, what you could do, (and get away with), 25 years ago, and beyond, you simply cannot get away with now, as instant news, (and instant feedback), holds you to account...

It won't change...

As if it could it surely would have done so by now, especially given the clear and obvious requirement to do so for such a large length of time...

You only have to go "back in time" on here to see exactly the same brand damaging, adverse crowd impacting issues, getting commented on season in, season out, time and time again, to see that those who run the sport cannot do it any other way...

Hence the only way isn't upwards for it...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cue Ball said:

Seems to be a lot of angry people on here. It’s only speedway, not life and death. Riders get injured - some over egg it, others perhaps ride when they shouldn’t, it’s always been the way of the world. Some people like watching fast racing which may compromise the ability to overtake, others like watching technical racing and waiting for an error to make the opportunity to pass, each to their own.

Don’t think there is any dispute that racing at Owlerton is not as good as it used to be, think it is down to the engines rather than the track, but there is still some cracking racing. Some meetings are better than others - last night maybe wasn’t brilliant, but BV not making a fight of it until Bewley got his bike working after the battle was lost didn’t help. I for one don’t think meetings ever look as good or as exciting in TV as they do in real life and Sheffield probably suffers from that more than most because you can’t get a feel for the speed which (to me) is part of the sport.

Nail on the head, all my friends hate Sheffield because they say it’s boring but I quite enjoy the racing there and seeing the sheer speed they generate. Even when it’s a strung out race. Same at belle Vue. 

we all wish for 15 heats of incredible speedway but You will never get that. If you get 5 good races out of 15 you’ve done well these days. 

• Like 7

Regarding Kurtz, all this aggro would have been saved if belle Vue just said he wasn’t racing. I knew at 3pm he wasn’t racing so they had plenty of time to announce he wasn’t racing. 

Belle vues socials and communication with fans is some of the worst I’ve ever seen from any sporting team or business. 

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 1

Sheffield is definitely a track thaf, as a spectacle, serves up the raw nature of the sport ie "speed"..

TV never makes the spectacle look good though unless you have two riders racing together, as the speed that they are going at then becomes more "visible" and appreciative...

When races get spread out at Sheffield like the majority do, (as happens at pretty much all tracks), the speed element, (on TV), doesn't cross over, hence it can look predictable and boring...

I love watching Kurtz at the NSS flying around the boards even when 30m in front of anyone else, but when watching on TV, it doesn't generate the same reaction..

Sheffield has a similar feel to it, but, with less racing lines to make up ground when behind...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Cue Ball said:

I do very much agree with that - Speedway as a live spectacle is never replicated from your armchair, what really doesn't help is all the stupid camera angles and producers trying to be clever, I often preferred the old videos from the 80s-90s that often showed the meeting from just one or perhaps two camera angles. TV speedway production is often very poor and clearly not run by people who know and care about the sport.

I think BSN are probably about the best when it comes to the TV / streaming work and thats because they are fans!

You are also right about BV being bobbins - Bewley and Cook excepted, you would think BV would be better at Sheffield but there you go.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bloom89 said:

I’m talking nonsense yet you bang on about heat 15 which I made no mention of, why didn’t he just do 3 rides then withdraw from the meeting then? Let’s applaud him for missing meetings (well except his polish ones) 

Stop digging.

17 hours ago, ouch said:

Anybody who thinks Brady would choose to miss a meeting 30 miles away where four rides and eight points would bag him £3k+ for (as the forum insists) four minutes work is soft in the head. That’s nearly four full weeks wages for most of us. 

The guys clueless, his argument is he should have missed both meetings rather than give it a go, the most ridiculous comment I've read on here and that's saying something .

13 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

But probably not as early as Belle Vue did. Football teams don't leave it to the home team to announce both sides, they put their own team sheets on social media. Personally, I didn't care who was riding for you, but I'm sure some of your own fans would have liked to have known before setting off as it was obviously going to have an impact on your chances, so they may have decided to stay home and save the petrol and admission money.

I do agree PR needs to be better, but you do know that the home team have to be informed before it goes to press and they control what is or isn't reported right?  Not saying Sheffield didn't want it reported but we don't know that for sure. It's makes no difference to Belle Vue if away fans decided not to travel.  That said it is definitely something Belle Vue needs to improve on. 

Edited by SUPERACE

8 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

You’re clearly from the riders do this for our entertainment brigade. 

No your comment was just ridiculous.  

8 hours ago, SUPERACE said:

I do agree PR needs to be better, but you do know that the home team have to be informed before it goes to press and they control what is or isn't reported right?  Not saying Sheffield didn't want it reported but we don't know that for sure. It's makes no difference to Belle Vue if away fans decided not to travel.  That said it is definitely something Belle Vue needs to improve on. 

Agreed it makes no difference to Belle Vue whether fans travel or not from a financial point of view, but surely it makes sense not to pee off your fan base by allowing them to travel on false pretences ? In all honesty, a win was always going to be a tough ask with your full 7 riders, so knowing you were a man short may have seen some of your fans choose to stay at home. Imagine how disappointed they were to turn up and discover the line up change that could have been announced by your own club 4-5 hours earlier.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

Agreed it makes no difference to Belle Vue whether fans travel or not from a financial point of view, but surely it makes sense not to pee off your fan base by allowing them to travel on false pretences ? In all honesty, a win was always going to be a tough ask with your full 7 riders, so knowing you were a man short may have seen some of your fans choose to stay at home. Imagine how disappointed they were to turn up and discover the line up change that could have been announced by your own club 4-5 hours earlier.

Spot on .

15 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

As I've said PR needs to be better, but the home team controls the media for their meetings and can dictate what is or isn't reported.   I made the decision to go to Birmingham away the other week before Bewley got injured, him missing didn't change my mind, surely if you are going to support your team, a rider missing shouldn't alter that. 

• Like 1