British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue V Sheffield - Mon 26th @ noon

1 minute ago, DaveWayne said:

He is out on track after 4, 7, 11, and 14 every meeting. 

There are 4 rakers on each bend on track after every race.

So many experts on here accusing the track staff of doing nothing, when they have no idea of the facts.

All I can say to that is that they are not doing a very good job.

1 hour ago, Shano101 said:

How much BS is that!! Three weeks ago, the Sheffield vs Ipswich cup final next Monday was on BSN. Now Eurosport have kings Lynn  vs Leicester (nothing match) so BSN cannot live stream at the same time.

The thing is the Sheffield V Ipswich match is KOC not a league match so why should Eurosport be able to tell them it can’t be streamed.

7 minutes ago, Bash said:

The thing is the Sheffield V Ipswich match is KOC not a league match so why should Eurosport be able to tell them it can’t be streamed.

It’s a rule that no other Speedway can be shown online if a Eurosport meeting is taking place.

Due previous rain off there was always a good possibility that there would be a TV meeting next Monday to fill the contractual obligation . At least KL should have a good pick of guests 

How poor are the Aces away? Shockingly bad.

The usual meeting at Owlerton tho seems it’s the usual fare of little passing.

Good to see the Tigers so dominant. Gonna be tough with rr or guest for Woffy tho in the play offs.

Very silent on Kurtz, is he picking meetings again like so many taking the wee this season?

• Like 1

Reading the comments from the meeting at the NSS, it was said that Kurtz was riding "within himself" and was being hampered by some kind of injury...

Therefore, it makes sense not to risk making things worse by doing any more racing...

It was even questioned on a FB forum if he would be at Sheffield given his issue...

If he rides in Sweden tonight then it wouldn't look "good", however I would imagine be has more than one eye on riding for Rybnik this weekend, who will no doubt be advising him...

I do find it amusing though to read about riders "taking the pee" and getting 28 day bans, in a sport where running a meeting with a side made up of four guests and RR, isn't "taking the pee"...

Like it or not, the bottom line is that riders missing meetings in this country doesn't devalue any competition any more or less than currently gets done by the operating model used each night...

Meetings get actually planned in don't forget, when it is known some riders will be riding elsewhere, therefore, not sure why riders missing meetings is such an issue, as it obviously must be deemed "ok" to do so on other occasions...

Edited by mikebv

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

If he rides in Sweden tonight then it wouldn't look "good", however I would imagine be has more than one eye on riding for Rybnik this weekend, who will no doubt be advising him...

Same as Basso,as I said earlier.He was being advised/told by his Polish team to ride for them when still not being fully fit.Hence why he only done the 4 rides and didn't ride for Lynn.He copped a 28 day ban.All we want is every rider to be treat the same.This doesn't seem to be the case for a few this season at present.Tungate/Pawlicki/Kurtz could all have received a 28 day ban if treat the same.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Reading the comments from the meeting at the NSS, it was said that Kurtz was riding "within himself" and was being hampered by some kind of injury...

Therefore, it makes sense not to risk making things worse by doing any more racing...

It was even questioned on a FB forum if he would be at Sheffield given his issue...

I do find it amusing though to read about riders "taking the pee" and getting 28 day bans, in a sport where running a meeting with a side made up of four guests and RR, isn't "taking the pee"...

Like it or not, the bottom line is that riders missing meetings in this country doesn't devalue any competition any more or less than currently gets done by the operating model used each night...

Meetings get actually planned in don't forget, when it is known some riders will be riding elsewhere, therefore, not sure why riders missing meetings is such an issue, as it obviously must be deemed "ok" to do so on other occasions...

Not particularly commenting on the issue of guests or riders missing - but re Kurtz - a couple of people around me did say he wasnt his usual self at the NSS - having had a cracked rib or two in the past they are very painful - painkillers and adrenaline may well have got him through this AM but once they wear off he may well have decided his couldn't ride tonight - who knows, the trouble is silence from official sources doesnt help the rumours! Given how well run the entire event at the NSS is i find it surprising that the skipper missing the 2nd leg wasn't bigger news and properly annouced!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Not particularly commenting on the issue of guests or riders missing - but re Kurtz - a couple of people around me did say he wasnt his usual self at the NSS - having had a cracked rib or two in the past they are very painful - painkillers and adrenaline may well have got him through this AM but once they wear off he may well have decided his couldn't ride tonight - who knows, the trouble is silence from official sources doesnt help the rumours! Given how well run the entire event at the NSS is i find it surprising that the skipper missing the 2nd leg wasn't bigger news and properly annouced!

I have often paid to get in to a meeting to find out that the line up had changed somewhat from the one advertised...

Often with one of the best riders no longer being there..

Even in these days of immediate news on line, it seems this trait continues...

Personally I'd rather side on the fact that it was one meeting too many for Kurtz yesterday. It's a very physically demanding sport, and whilst it's frustrating for riders to drop out, I'd much rather them do so than risk themselves coming off much worse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

I have often paid to get in to a meeting to find out that the line up had changed somewhat from the one advertised...

It has to be said the PR from a lot of clubs in all divisions is absolutely crap, I read on here early doors that Kurtz wasn’t riding at Sheffield and checked with the Belle Vue website which didn’t have anything about Kurtz or the preview for the match at Sheffield, this is complete nonsense and yet again fans are being kept completely in the dark deliberately by the clubs.

Belle Vue despite a decent race track has one of the worst reputations for PR, with the match result from last night still not being displayed, scorers and results with a report to follow is the least that can be expected but clearly the people running BV don’t think the same.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

To be clear, you can’t have riders deciding which meetings to do. That’s not credible or fair in the slightest. And no, rider replacement or guests isn’t very credible neither.

what is ‘riding within himself’ have to do with anything?

Riders can get injured at any time and are often riding within themselves because of it. Not a credible reason neither.

riders missing meetings IS an issue, that’s the issue! No other country teams would allow you to just miss a meeting to suit and nor should the UK accept it.

The silence from official sources is even worse. 
what is the valid reason why Kurtz was missing on the night? It’s a question that needs answering because he has already done it this season with zero penalty. (Yes we know all the circumstances why before anyone points them all out).

We cannot accept that riders can just go missing and it not be an issue. Particularly a meeting that’s live on Eurosport, and one that showed he racing during the day in the same country.

Just barmy. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rob B said:

Broke ribs in Poland. He was in yellow 

Firstly get well soon Brady. It’s great to see a rider not take the pee out of the sport here in the UK like so many others who will complete foreign league meetings then swerve the UK. Brady’s never done that and will always if possible turn out for the UK fans, similar to Doyle. Must be an Aussie thing. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

He is out on track after 4, 7, 11, and 14 every meeting. 

There are 4 rakers on each bend on track after every race.

So many experts on here accusing the track staff of doing nothing, when they have no idea of the facts.

Its the same old rubbish from certain teams supporters

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

It’s not uncommon for the staging promotion to veto information about missing riders due to the adverse effect it has on their crowds. 

No club takes more fans to an away track than when The Aces visit Owlerton. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

It has to be said the PR from a lot of clubs in all divisions is absolutely crap, I read on here early doors that Kurtz wasn’t riding at Sheffield and checked with the Belle Vue website which didn’t have anything about Kurtz or the preview for the match at Sheffield, this is complete nonsense and yet again fans are being kept completely in the dark deliberately by the clubs.

Belle Vue despite a decent race track has one of the worst reputations for PR, with the match result from last night still not being displayed, scorers and results with a report to follow is the least that can be expected but clearly the people running BV don’t think the same.

I was just about to post exactly the same... until a few minutes ago they were still showing a link selling tickets for yesterday morning's meeting! And now they've got the most minimal match report:

"A challenging bank holiday of racing saw the Belle Vue ‘ATPI’ Aces move from fourth to second in the ROWE Motor Oil Premiership, ahead of their final meeting at King’s Lynn on August 28."

Seriously, that's it.

It may go some way to explaining why they've got the best Speedway stadium in the UK, the best race track in the world and can only attract a few hundred people along from Britain's 3rd largest city!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

With speedway updates, BSPL site, Facebook and all the other social media sources, anybody waiting on the Aces official web page (web pages are so last century) for the results (it’s up now and has been for a while) needs to give their head a wobble. 

My Dads in his late 80’s and knows “the score”. Perhaps I should get this near 90 year old to do a YouTube video of how to efficiently get information from the World Wide Web. 

24 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

To be clear, you can’t have riders deciding which meetings to do. That’s not credible or fair in the slightest. And no, rider replacement or guests isn’t very credible neither.

Riders can get injured at any time and are often riding within themselves because of it. Not a credible reason neither.

riders missing meetings IS an issue, that’s the issue! No other country teams would allow you to just miss a meeting to suit and nor should the UK accept it.

what is the valid reason why Kurtz was missing on the night? It’s a question that needs answering because he has already done it this season with zero penalty. (Yes we know all the circumstances why before anyone points them all out).

We cannot accept that riders can just go missing and it not be an issue. Particularly a meeting that’s live on Eurosport, and one that showed he racing during the day in the same country.

Just barmy. 

So what do we do in this circumstance?  He's ridden through the pain barrier in the Belle Vue meeting, cannot adequately recover over the hours and pulls out of the next meeting. 

Look i think we all agree riders pulling out has been a massive problem this season, but in this circumstance it's a legitimate injury and one where Brady has tried to ride through it. I think as a sport we have got to find the balance of where we do challenge those who are taking the mick, but we have to look after the riders who are injured or carrying an injury.

31 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

On the unofficial FB page someone (presumably in the know), said that they do lots of social media in the background to those who don't currently follow the sport..

Which sounds good..

However, peeing off your actual customers by not communicating to them isn't a good thing to do, I would suggest...

Mark Lemon a while back talked something about Speedway being "a best kept secret"...

Well, given their lack of promotion of the sport, it always will be...

I've said before..

Literally thousands of kids play sport at weekends...

Therefore why not sponsor some of the leagues? You would have access to thousands of parents, carers and their kids, for very little outlay...

The league my lad used to play in as a kid had over 2000 kids aged U8 to U16 and took two days to do all the prizes at the end of the season prize giving..

With the trophies costing around £4k..

There are dozens of various sports leagues right on the doorsteps of speedway clubs, with tens of thousands of kids and parents who have never been to speedway, or maybe even never have heard of it...

A perfect demographic to aim for..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Just barmy. 

If you think no other league puts up with riders missing meetings you want to take a look at the Swedish league. RR was used 37 times in the 56 regular season matches and 3 teams Smederna, Rospiggarna  and Piraterna used it in 50% of their matches.

• Like 1