British Speedway Forum

Oxford vs Glasgow Aug 21st

4 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Well I can't know that, unless it's publicised & Schroeck is hardly likely to say "our 3rd choice Connor Coles is guesting today" wouldn't do much for Connor's confidence.

So all I can do is question whether they could've gone with one of their NDL squad?

But that’s exactly my point, nobody regardless of what team and what league, knows what happens before a meeting. It would be like me assuming what you did at work today and questioning it. Who knows how many riders were asked but turned it down for one reason or another but as you say you aren’t going to say well actually you were 3rd, 4th, 5th choice.

6 hours ago, Debbi said:

It was nice to see that Connor Coles was given rider of the night after his fall in heat 2 he must have felt second hand. To do 7 rides and not to score in only one race was something else.

To give Connor Coles rider of the night when Sam Masters scored a maximum is preposterous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

To give Connor Coles rider of the night when Sam Masters scored a maximum is preposterous.

I think it an excellent choice. He completely owned the Glasgow reserves and I think it makes sense to make him feel appreciated as we may well want to use him again.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I think it an excellent choice. He completely owned the Glasgow reserves and I think it makes sense to make him feel appreciated as we may well want to use him again.

While I thought Coles was excellent, I’d love to know what more Masters could have done to get it? He was untouchable. 

30 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

While I thought Coles was excellent, I’d love to know what more Masters could have done to get it? He was untouchable. 

They often give the lesser riders it to give them a boost, bit like giving it to Tobias Thomsen last night at Poole.

• Like 1

I'm interested to see Tom Spencer be given more opportunities at this level. He is one of the best NDL riders not racing in a regular basis in the Championship so fingers crossed for him for 2025. I hope he has more nights like the one at Glasgow where he got a paid win but is a honest and safe rider at this level.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

They often give the lesser riders it to give them a boost, bit like giving it to Tobias Thomsen last night at Poole.

Yeah, I can appreciate that. And I’m all for giving it to them on the right occasion, but seems strange to me when one rider was SO dominant last night and was head and shoulders above everybody else. 

21 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Yeah, I can appreciate that. And I’m all for giving it to them on the right occasion, but seems strange to me when one rider was SO dominant last night and was head and shoulders above everybody else. 

IMO Sam Masters as No.1 getting a maximum is more or less whats expected in every match, Connor Coles is expected to pick up 2-3 points, he did far better than that.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Ivacic has not lived up to expectations.

Ivacic is taking the P.  Wins a title racing against NKI and Wojdylo at the weekend and then is half a lap of the pace and scores 0 at Oxford.  off the gas completely and drifting into the first bend, not trying a leg.  If i was PM, his bikes would have been in the van after his second heat and sent on his merry way.

8 hours ago, arnieg said:

Connor had a very heavy fall in heat 2 he came out on another bike whilst he was riding that on track half the Oxford team were jumping on/kicking the bike back into shape.

Connor has not performed to his potential at Oxford in previous visits. sure if Luke hadn’t been injured he wouldn’t have had as many rides but he still went out completed 7 races and only failed to score in one race and was the highest scoring reserve. He put up a good fight for most of his points. 

No disrespect to the likes of Sam and Scott but they are your top heat leaders and rightly or wrongly you expect them to put in maximum performance. Where as Connor we had no such expectations from him. He gave it his all and deserved the reward.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Ivacic has not lived up to expectations.

Indeed.

10 hours ago, K7KDD said:

Ivacic is taking the P.

It does feel that way. We had to try something if we wanted to make the playoffs and it was never guaranteed to work, but he's been very, very poor.

9 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Indeed.

It does feel that way. We had to try something if we wanted to make the playoffs and it was never guaranteed to work, but he's been very, very poor.

He has indeed. Looking back, he had to be aTarasenko type signing just to break even. We used 8.00 on him and Garrad, and with Garrad unlikely to score many points, he needed to average 7.50+ just to stay pat. Right now he's on 4,00 and after tonight could end up being a reserve in the next Green Sheets. Ironically Starke is averaging slightly more for Workington. File under " it seemed like a good idea at the time"  

42 minutes ago, Beirao said:

He has indeed. Looking back, he had to be aTarasenko type signing just to break even. We used 8.00 on him and Garrad, and with Garrad unlikely to score many points, he needed to average 7.50+ just to stay pat. Right now he's on 4,00 and after tonight could end up being a reserve in the next Green Sheets. Ironically Starke is averaging slightly more for Workington. File under " it seemed like a good idea at the time"  

He's only looked good at Poole, looked slow at home and at Edinburgh and Oxford was worse than an NL novice. Not even worth the risk on a 4 for next season if that had been the plan.

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

He's only looked good at Poole, looked slow at home and at Edinburgh and Oxford was worse than an NL novice. Not even worth the risk on a 4 for next season if that had been the plan.

I don't think he can go below 6

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Weeyin said:

I wondered about that. Hook and Liebmann never dropped below their assessed 4.00 figures though their "actuals" were less. However Birminghams foreigners all got real figures after the prescribed number of meetings. 

51 minutes ago, Weeyin said:

Why? Lasse went from 5 to 4 when his first average was known. Janowski, pawkicki etc have all been given new averages once their true averages kicked in well below their assessed ones. It's my understanding it can't go below the minimum of 4. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Why? Lasse went from 5 to 4 when his first average was known. Janowski, pawkicki etc have all been given new averages once their true averages kicked in well below their assessed ones. It's my understanding it can't go below the minimum of 4. 

If that is the case then still not worth a 4, can't even beat reserves , can gate but then rides all the wrong lines

• Like 1