British Speedway Forum

Oxford vs Glasgow Aug 21st

Oxford 

Masters Heeps Boughen Jenkins Nicholls Killeen Coles 

Glasgow 

Harris Smith Rowe Ivacic Flint Pearson Spencer

Oxford with outside chance of finishing top and Glasgow needing a win or at least keeping it close to keep their play off hopes alive.  

Edit Glasgow hopes would still be alive regardless of result.

Edited by Anzum

Watching on TV - just wanted to check stream hasn't started for anyone else. Made this mistake before watching a black screen 😆

Edit: started. Patience is a virtue 😆.

Edited by Kerryxo

2 minutes ago, MD said:

Bit of a pasting with 12 no scoring rides from last places, falls etc.

With the rain thats fallen, and whats predicted to fall, Friday will be a lottery if its actually on.

I really can’t see Friday being on. This week is a washout. Even if there’s less rain than expected, and with the improved drainage, the track must already be hideous for the track staff to work with.

• Like 1

If Killeen is unfit for Friday, Oxford should be looking to bring in the two riders at 6 & 7 that the Tigers booted out to accommodate  Ivacic, namely Ace Pijper & Paul Starke.

37 minutes ago, cyclone said:

If Killeen is unfit for Friday, Oxford should be looking to bring in the two riders at 6 & 7 that the Tigers booted out to accommodate  Ivacic, namely Ace Pijper & Paul Starke.

And that masterclass on the team restructuring went as poorly as the original team building.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Given that Schroeck seems to really push young riders, even to the extent of weakening the team, why haven't Oxford used one of their NDL riders at 7 tonight?

I don't see Scott or Vale as any weaker than Coles at Cowley!

Firstly, best wishes to Killeen, that looked a nasty incident.

Vale has shown promise this year but is not ready for this level at present. Scott has struggled badly lately when taking the number 7 jacket, (he has taken a few knocks) as has been shown by now using others to fill the gap.

Coles always gives himself a chance with good starting and his paid 9 was fully deserved.

Edited by Hilly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Given that Schroeck seems to really push young riders, even to the extent of weakening the team, why haven't Oxford used one of their NDL riders at 7 tonight?

How do you know that Peter didn’t ask them? There’a every chance they may have been working or even away.

43 minutes ago, Debbi said:

How do you know that Peter didn’t ask them? There’a every chance they may have been working or even away.

Well I can't know that, unless it's publicised & Schroeck is hardly likely to say "our 3rd choice Connor Coles is guesting today" wouldn't do much for Connor's confidence.

So all I can do is question whether they could've gone with one of their NDL squad?

Edited by szkocjasid

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

1 hour ago, Hilly said:

Vale has shown promise this year but is not ready for this level at present. Scott has struggled badly lately when taking the number 7 jacket, (he has taken a few knocks) as has been shown by now using others to fill the gap.

Coles always gives himself a chance with good starting and his paid 9 was fully deserved.

I cannot disagree with any of your points, but I will say, they don't fit in with the Spires team changes.

For example you say "Vale has shown promise this year but is not ready for this level at present" I would've said the exact same thing about Killeen racing for the Spires, he's shown promise, but not ready for the Premiership yet. When he signed it was during the Cheetahs lull in matches, so wasn't based on a sudden burst of good form (his average had even dropped) after he got signed, he's done even better than expected in both leagues.

So using that logic, I think - why not try the same with Vale? If Schroeck is willing to risk the play-offs for the Spires (for youth development), should he not be also willing to risk top spot for the Cheetahs (for youth development) not that there would've been much panic racing Glasgow?

Obviously there can be no complaints about Coles, he did a fine job. That was never my point (that Coles wasn't a good guest).