British Speedway Forum

Ipswich v Belle Vue August 22nd

7 hours ago, 2ndbend said:

Hawkins can say "band together" but has to start with the management. R/R has stopped working so try something else, get another guest. Brennan / Becker / Masters / Douglas / Pickering / Kurtz. Or will we just get fed the bullsh*t that "they tried all options" again.

Have to agree here. We’ve gone with rider replacement on far too many occasions. I accept on some race days other clubs are riding and suitable options are limited, but that hasn’t always been the case. Lawson for example goes very well at Foxhall as we know, and was named as a guest at Lynn yesterday. Would Lawson have already been booked by Lynn at the time Emil crashed out a couple of weeks ago? Maybe..

Fans are completely demoralised, you have to wonder whether the promotion have had enough this year also regardless of that piece from Hawkins. At least give the fans a seven man team to go and watch again.

• Like 1

I’m not getting all the promotion bashing at the moment. I have done my fair share over the years & indeed i did last year regarding the Riss situation. The fact that King will almost certainly be the first name on the team sheet for 2025 will also grip my s!&t.

However this is the same promotion who have brought Doyle to Foxhall & then topped that off by getting Emil onboard. After years of watching poor top flight Ipswich teams having riders of the calibre of those two pulling on the witch is still sometimes dreamland territory.

This year without all the injuries King,Thompson,Ellis x2 , Doyle & now Emil we would have walked to a double.

Maybe after pulling of the coup of getting Emil perhaps they genuinely thought they could rework the magic & get Zmarlik over from for the run in.

Failing with Zmarik & then going with Fast Freddie if the rumour is true would have been fine. Then the injuries to Emil & Adam hit.

Lets get behind the boys in the cup final & play offs still plenty to race for before we look at 2025 & hopefully the 3rd year of the Jason, Emil spearhead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Have to agree here. We’ve gone with rider replacement on far too many occasions. I accept on some race days other clubs are riding and suitable options are limited, but that hasn’t always been the case. Lawson for example goes very well at Foxhall as we know, and was named as a guest at Lynn yesterday. Would Lawson have already been booked by Lynn at the time Emil crashed out a couple of weeks ago? Maybe..

Fans are completely demoralised, you have to wonder whether the promotion have had enough this year also regardless of that piece from Hawkins. At least give the fans a seven man team to go and watch again.

Was Lawson available? Two questions around him firstly would Leicester want him to ride & help Ipswich win as they are going for 2nd place & an Ipswich loss could see us finish 4th meaning that Leicester would avoid us in the play off semi final given our record at their place I can’t blame them.

secondly is Lawson able to ride as he was at Foxhall last week & with Nicholls guesting for Doyle does the 8 day rule apply to Lawson as he rode at Foxhall last week?

or is the 8 day rule only applicable when guesting at the same track?

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

With Emil and Ellis riding  then R/R is a good option but with Emil injured then I would have thought guests would be a better option. Maybe Kurtz could have ridden in place of Doyle.

1 hour ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I’m not getting all the promotion bashing at the moment. I have done my fair share over the years & indeed i did last year regarding the Riss situation. The fact that King will almost certainly be the first name on the team sheet for 2025 will also grip my s!&t.

However this is the same promotion who have brought Doyle to Foxhall & then topped that off by getting Emil onboard. After years of watching poor top flight Ipswich teams having riders of the calibre of those two pulling on the witch is still sometimes dreamland territory.

This year without all the injuries King,Thompson,Ellis x2 , Doyle & now Emil we would have walked to a double.

Maybe after pulling of the coup of getting Emil perhaps they genuinely thought they could rework the magic & get Zmarlik over from for the run in.

Failing with Zmarik & then going with Fast Freddie if the rumour is true would have been fine. Then the injuries to Emil & Adam hit.

Lets get behind the boys in the cup final & play offs still plenty to race for before we look at 2025 & hopefully the 3rd year of the Jason, Emil spearhead.

Not sure it’s “bashing” the promotion here, I think everyone has sympathy (Ipswich fans) with what has happened beyond their control. That doesn’t mean they’re immune to any criticism though. Doyle has been out since the end of May, there surely has been options to re-giggle the team. If a like for like replacement for Doyle wasn’t available, then the option was there to release a rider lower down the order and make two changes. Lose some top end strength, but strengthen down the lower order. Jenkins to his credit has now publicly stated he was lucky to remain a Witches rider because of his poor form especially early on. We know they don’t like dropping any rider, we saw that with a clearly unfit Riss last year which cost us in the end. Some will back them with not wanting to drop anyone, others who crave success and want them to finally win a title after 26 years, not so much. 

All well and good being loyal to your riders and getting pats on the back for doing so, but the problem is Ipswich will always be a step behind the other clubs who are never slow to strengthen when the opportunity is there. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Foxhalldude said:

I doubt this will be on, it’s raining in Ipswich and really dark

OK Michael fish 

8 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not sure it’s “bashing” the promotion here, I think everyone has sympathy (Ipswich fans) with what has happened beyond their control. That doesn’t mean they’re immune to any criticism though. Doyle has been out since the end of May, there surely has been options to re-giggle the team. If a like for like replacement for Doyle wasn’t available, then the option was there to release a rider lower down the order and make two changes. Lose some top end strength, but strengthen down the lower order. Jenkins to his credit has now publicly stated he was lucky to remain a Witches rider because of his poor form especially early on. We know they don’t like dropping any rider, we saw that with a clearly unfit Riss last year which cost us in the end. Some will back them with not wanting to drop anyone, others who crave success and want them to finally win a title after 26 years, not so much. 

All well and good being loyal to your riders and getting pats on the back for doing so, but the problem is Ipswich will always be a step behind the other clubs who are never slow to strengthen when the opportunity is there. 

They seem to take pride in sticking with what they build over the winter and going with it until the end. It was Louis who made the pick and mix jibes against Sheffield last year, and before the Sheffield lot come on and say it was injuries and wasn’t their fault, they did sack a couple of British riders at the death. I always flip flop on the way we do things here. On one hand I’m a fan and want to see success, but on the other I find it difficult to criticise the way they stand by their riders when they need backing because they’re struggling. Others change their riders more often than they change their underwear, Leicester a prime example. Any neutral who doesn’t have a horse in the race should be backing Ipswich really for the way they do things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I like a happy team :wink:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Was Lawson available? Two questions around him firstly would Leicester want him to ride & help Ipswich win as they are going for 2nd place & an Ipswich loss could see us finish 4th meaning that Leicester would avoid us in the play off semi final given our record at their place I can’t blame them.

secondly is Lawson able to ride as he was at Foxhall last week & with Nicholls guesting for Doyle does the 8 day rule apply to Lawson as he rode at Foxhall last week?

Lawson guesting for Klindt at Kings Lynn - assuming thats on!?

5 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

There is an 8 day rule but I think it has changed slightly from back in the day.

5 hours ago, Aries said:

They seem to take pride in sticking with what they build over the winter and going with it until the end. It was Louis who made the pick and mix jibes against Sheffield last year, and before the Sheffield lot come on and say it was injuries and wasn’t their fault, they did sack a couple of British riders at the death. I always flip flop on the way we do things here. On one hand I’m a fan and want to see success, but on the other I find it difficult to criticise the way they stand by their riders when they need backing because they’re struggling. Others change their riders more often than they change their underwear, Leicester a prime example. Any neutral who doesn’t have a horse in the race should be backing Ipswich really for the way they do things.

or Belle Vue. 2 changes in the last six years that weren’t due to injury. We’d have kept many riders over the winter to if it wasn’t for the dreaded rider control/averages hitting us hard. 

45 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

I didn't realise it was against the rules to change teams during the season, thought that was a transfer window was all about

No, you are supposed to keep all your named riders from the first match....

Even if you are getting hammered every week and your crowd levels drop...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The transfer window or the Tai rule was put in place to stop promotions like Wolves bringing in riders for the play offs. The ridiculous knock on is you now cannot sign riders to cover injuries, even if all 7 are out injured. You have to take guests from the lower clubs who failed to make the play offs and these guests total devalue the sport at a time when the media are taking a greater interest. As a grim piece of icing, the folk that started all this are no longer involved in the sport. Grrrrr. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ouch said:

The transfer window or the Tai rule was put in place to stop promotions like Wolves bringing in riders for the play offs. The ridiculous knock on is you now cannot sign riders to cover injuries, even if all 7 are out injured. You have to take guests from the lower clubs who failed to make the play offs and these guests total devalue the sport at a time when the media are taking a greater interest. As a grim piece of icing, the folk that started all this are no longer involved in the sport. Grrrrr. 

Woffinden rode 6 league matches before the play offs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Sadly looking at the injury list of the top clubs, Leicester must be favourites for the P. Offs. 
Lucky Leicester… must be their horseshoe emblem bringing in the luck.

Always assuming that Leicester can run their meetings as their track is known for flooding in the wet months of the P.offs

can you please tell me who is injured from b/vue ???? because there isn't 🤣