British Speedway Forum

BIRMINGHAM v KING'S LYNN Mon 19th August PL

After defending Pawlicki this season & expecting him to come good, that was just terrible. He should be ashamed of himself, really letting the Birmingham fans down. Shame they can't from him & are stuck with him for the rest of the season.

Looks like the usual suspects, Flint and Pawlicki who've let them down again. Shame for the Brummies fans. 

Hard to agree with the feel sorry for Tolley bit. He signed the team, he has asked them to race against teams with a combined average advantage of over 7 points and today v Kings Lynn 3 points, and no surprise they lost by 3. The riders face every meeting at a -7 (belle vue was -10. Pawlicki should have gone when Freddie came, the guess who for the sack lasting 2 weeks was poor. Riders are beat before they arrive and the track prep is crap, but keep it consistently crap to give the team a chance. Trying something different each week makes it worse and helps the away team.

Nigel needs to set a budget, step back and let Peter / Chris Adam’s pick, sign, and run the team next year and Nigel enjoy himself as owner and watcher. Drop Sam and Lawrence, no blame but not needed.

A fresh start required 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I've not seen Pawlicki ride at all this year... but what's going on with him? He's a world class rider, is it his equipment? He's not used to the tracks?

Sensible answers only please... 🤣

I think those questions are now well past being relevant. Signing both of Milik and Pawlicki was probably a last resort option.

For all of the preseason  trumpet-blowing by BSPL etc about the return of "world class" riders to the league, a combination of a savage injury toll, Polish control, and poor performances have resulted in the actual product being poor and Birmingham has unfortunately been the worst victim along with Kings Lynn and Ipswich.

Despite all of the fanfare, this league is only capable of running competitively with 6 teams, reducing and hopefully eliminating the need for charlatans like Pawlicki to be hired.

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Birmingham CEO Nigel Tolley said: “Everybody tried their hardest, apart from one rider, mentioning no names, but we’ve just got to look to the future now.”

I wonder who that could be? 🙂

He should call it out for what it is, why shield these riders all the time?

If Tolley is coming back for more next season then you need 3 new riders.

Keep Lindgren, Brennan, Z. Cook and Lampart because the Pole is getting better.

Need a proper No.4 & No.5 with a RS who's actually capable of doing a job on his Home track.

5 hours ago, mc131 said:

I don't no how he keeps getting picked for other events over the season I wouldn't have him as a rs next season.

Too much of this sort of thing going on. Riders doing the TeamGB/Union Jack thing before they've done enough to prove their ability at club level. For example, how come Dan Thompson wasn't one of the GP reserves at Cardiff? 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

Pawlicki waste of good money ..doesnt want to know...Flint only whats to retain his R/S status for next year .

Can't Brum give Pawlicki a 28 day ban for "withholding his services".?..🫡😁

Edited by mikebv

6 hours ago, TTT said:

If Tolley is coming back for more next season then you need 3 new riders.

Keep Lindgren, Brennan, Z. Cook and Lampart because the Pole is getting better.

Need a proper No.4 & No.5 with a RS who's actually capable of doing a job on his Home track.

Flint is poor at P.B...And most away tracks but there isnt any better out there.

There's no doubt Flint has been a very disappointing RS for Birmingham this year. But he's still the third best in the league & when Dan T & Rowe are no longer "riding stars" next year, he'll be the highest averaged (in both leagues) RS available. Why wouldn't you want him back?

Just because he's been disappointing / not got to grips with his home track, doesn't mean there's anyone better out there.

Look at Leicester dropping Joe T for Hagon looked a sensible move, but now look to have ended up with possibly the weakest RS in the league.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2024 at 10:24 AM, Hamish McRaker said:

I think those questions are now well past being relevant. Signing both of Milik and Pawlicki was probably a last resort option.

For all of the preseason  trumpet-blowing by BSPL etc about the return of "world class" riders to the league, a combination of a savage injury toll, Polish control, and poor performances have resulted in the actual product being poor and Birmingham has unfortunately been the worst victim along with Kings Lynn and Ipswich.

Despite all of the fanfare, this league is only capable of running competitively with 6 teams, reducing and hopefully eliminating the need for charlatans like Pawlicki to be hired.

Personally I think there are enough riders for 7 teams, as long as the top riders are shared out. The likes of Sheffield won't like it, but then having 3 top riders, when Birmingham & Lynn were struggling to find one, doesn't do any good for the league.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Personally I think there are enough riders for 7 teams, as long as the top riders are shared out. The likes of Sheffield won't like it, but then having 3 top riders, when Birmingham & Lynn were struggling to find one, doesn't do any good for the league.

But do the Polish clubs have a problem with their best riders being at Kings Lynn because they are concerned about them getting injured there?

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

100%..

In a sport that the "ultimate prize" delivers big financial rewards and publicity, I would expect minimal, (but still some), "controls" in place to keel things competitive..

With UK Speedway delivering neither of the above then there really is no point in having teams so unevenly matched from the onset, especially given the, (in reality for a professional sport), very low attendance levels that exist across the whole of the sport, even for "successful" teams..

Just a couple of hundred missing can have a huge impact given the low starting point, so maintaining competitive teams has to be the No1 priority of the sport, not who wins any title...

NB:

(But not maintaining competitive teams by all sharing each others riders in virtually every match, like is done currently, as that just ultimately adds to the missing crowd numbers)...

Edited by mikebv