British Speedway Forum

Amalgamation:- Premier/ Championship Leagues 2025 & Onwards

32 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Do enough people have the disposable income to attend weekly speedway meetings these days?

There must be a huge question over that especially at the current admission fees

Clubs streaming is probably affecting Crowd levels,why pay £20 when you can watch it £12.Does the streaming money outweigh the money taken at the turnstiles.They also have to take food and drink sales into account if the Club run their own outlets.Who Knows.!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

why pay £20 when you can watch it £12.

Because watching it on TV doesn't come close to watching it live. 

Packages like the ones BSN offer are great value, but personally there's no way I'd pay more than a fiver to watch a streamed meeting. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Bottom line is...

If you were in a committee to start the sport up, and suggested the current operating model, entertainment package, and price point .....

You would be laughed out of the room...

And no one in any sane mind would think it could work...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Clubs streaming is probably affecting Crowd levels,why pay £20 when you can watch it £12.Does the streaming money outweigh the money taken at the turnstiles.They also have to take food and drink sales into account if the Club run their own outlets.Who Knows.!

I dont think that streaming is a direct replacement for attending a meeting. Its helpful when the weather is poor as people will have made the decision not to attend but still contribute revenue. Also based on the figures Ive seen less than 1 in 2 streamers are in the same postcode stem as the venue so obviously appeals much more to away fans.

1 hour ago, W9 Lion said:

I dont think that streaming is a direct replacement for attending a meeting. Its helpful when the weather is poor as people will have made the decision not to attend but still contribute revenue. Also based on the figures Ive seen less than 1 in 2 streamers are in the same postcode stem as the venue so obviously appeals much more to away fans.

I appreciate it was probably set to attract away support online.It won’t increase the home support .I know a few fans who travel a fair distance that just watch online nowadays saving on admissions and travel and food costs.Catch 22 IMO.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Because watching it on TV doesn't come close to watching it live. 

Packages like the ones BSN offer are great value, but personally there's no way I'd pay more than a fiver to watch a streamed meeting. 

Not many sports are better watched on TV as opposed to live.That is not the point I was making.

34 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Not many sports are better watched on TV as opposed to live.That is not the point I was making.

Arena sports certainly

Without that fundamental "emotional personal investment" into your team then any team sport is knackered..

No actual point in running it without that...

"Injured riders? Don't sign anyone, use guests from your competition"......

Where are those nails? 

On 8/19/2024 at 9:54 PM, enotian said:

Cricket is a canny analogy. They've basically dumbed it down for a dumbed down society. Nobody is interested in strategy or technique or any of the other 'interesting' facets of the long form.

The people just want wickets and boundaries which signal pyro and catchy chorus', the chance to drink and sing Neil Diamond.

Just like they get when two blokes chuck arrows at a board.

The problem is, if that's what you want, how do you give them it? It's not 15 minutes action over 2 plus hours that's for sure.

How much action do you think you get in The Hundred? If each ball lasts for say 5 seconds, that works out at well….just over 15 minutes. It’s what they do between balls that stands it apart and what speedway can learn a lot from. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

How much action do you think you get in The Hundred? If each ball lasts for say 5 seconds, that works out at well….just over 15 minutes. It’s what they do between balls that stands it apart and what speedway can learn a lot from. 

That's my point.  Whilst I don't think it's possible to deliver 200 balls in 15 minutes what natural gaps they have are minimised to the extent that there's mostly always something going on.  

For a sport which has speed in its name the pace of meetings certainly doesn't live up to the title. Always bemused me when a meeting starts to get some momentum there'll be an interval. For what purpose exactly?  If a meeting can be run in 75 minutes dont stretch it out to 150 minutes. Unless you have some other content to fill the gaps...  other than track grading.

• Like 1