British Speedway Forum

Amalgamation:- Premier/ Championship Leagues 2025 & Onwards

I personally think now is the time for the one league. What with riders doubling up in both leagues and a shortage of riders with clubs I can only see this being the way forward, and  then we all experience seeing different clubs throughout the season. Hopefully then getting to watch speedway on a weekly basis like the 70’s / 80’s. 
Your thought please ?

Edited by rearingtogo

• rearingtogo changed the title to Amalgamation:- Premier/ Championship Leagues 2025 & Onwards
23 minutes ago, rearingtogo said:

I personally think now is the time for the one league. What with riders doubling up in both leagues and a shortage of riders with clubs I can only see this being the way forward, and we all witness seeing different clubs throughout the season. Hopefully then getting to watch speedway on a weekly basis like the 70’s / 80’s. 
Your thought please ?

Would need to go to 6 or 5 rider teams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ch958 said:

works in other places. One league is a no brainer (2 if you include NL)

Totally agree. It is a farcical situation in this country and the diehard club owners who fail to think outside the box and consider changes for the good of the sport are responsible for the current debacle having capitulated to Polish speedway, restrict changes where a club has a number of injured team members so can no longer put out a competitive team and it leaves affected teams no option but to find replacements from a dwindling pool of guests and those in the BSPL still think everything is rosey in the speedway garden. What is the matter with those in charge? Even Chris Louis seems to have his head in the clouds and he was one that use to command some respect. BSPL have sold the punters and the sport down the line and it is any wonder it is a sport languishing in the nadir of sport in this country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rearingtogo said:

I personally think now is the time for the one league. What with riders doubling up in both leagues and a shortage of riders with clubs I can only see this being the way forward, and we all witness seeing different clubs throughout the season. Hopefully then getting to watch speedway on a weekly basis like the 70’s / 80’s. 
Your thought please ?

Won’t happen. The current number of clubs would mean only 16 clubs ( if they all survive this season ) and therefore around 30 plus fixtures. Doubling up riders currently get around 70-80 fixtures ( thats wage packets ) with league , cup, BSN matches etc plus guest bookings ( currently a lot of those opportunity's about ) so rider power will win again and double , and even trebling up , will still go on.

Besides the fact that clubs struggle to get the current sporadic fixture list completed !

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Won’t happen. The current number of clubs would mean only 16 clubs ( if they all survive this season ) and therefore around 30 plus fixtures. Doubling up riders currently get around 70-80 fixtures ( thats wage packets ) with league , cup, BSN matches etc plus guest bookings ( currently a lot of those opportunity's about ) so rider power will win again and double , and even trebling up , will still go on.

Besides the fact that clubs struggle to get the current sporadic fixture list completed !

Do away with all other fixtures and concentrate on league only and running weekly fixtures would be completed in time. It will work and needs to be done in the interest of the sport. Fans get fed up seeing the same teams too often.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rearingtogo said:

I personally think now is the time for the one league. What with riders doubling up in both leagues and a shortage of riders with clubs I can only see this being the way forward, and  then we all experience seeing different clubs throughout the season. Hopefully then getting to watch speedway on a weekly basis like the 70’s / 80’s. 
Your thought please ?

If that were to happen, would the likes of Holder(s), Woffinden, Doyle, Lindgren, Sayfutdinov etc., etc., still be in the league?  If so, how many of the current CL clubs would be able to afford a "top-liner" rider (or two?).

They did it in 1995 & 1996 and Newcastle withdrew altogether and Middlesbrough had Shane Parker as their number one (before he became a top heat leader in the 2nd-tier).

I presume (but I'm guessing here, obviously) it would be "pitched" between the current PL and CL levels. The first thing that would probably happen is fans shouting "It's a watered down product, but we're still paying top dollar for it". 

It's a difficult one, as there are obvious positives from it, but it would have negatives too.  But, I think, the bigger question is "what is best for the sport," but that seems to be kept being overlooked by those "in charge".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

If that were to happen, would the likes of Holder(s), Woffinden, Doyle, Lindgren, Sayfutdinov etc., etc., still be in the league?  If so, how many of the current CL clubs would be able to afford a "top-liner" rider (or two?).

They did it in 1995 & 1996 and Newcastle withdrew altogether and Middlesbrough had Shane Parker as their number one (before he became a top heat leader in the 2nd-tier).

I presume (but I'm guessing here, obviously) it would be "pitched" between the current PL and CL levels. The first thing that would probably happen is fans shouting "It's a watered down product, but we're still paying top dollar for it". 

It's a difficult one, as there are obvious positives from it, but it would have negatives too.  But, I think, the bigger question is "what is best for the sport," but that seems to be kept being overlooked by those "in charge".

Yes that’s another issue being the plonkers that are in charge are incapable of doing anything positive for the sport. Needs fresh blood and new ideas injecting into it. 

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

Also the TV money (assuming Eurosport contract would continue?) would be watered down amongst more clubs - and would they still only broadcast 19 fixtures?

59 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Also the TV money (assuming Eurosport contract would continue?) would be watered down amongst more clubs - and would they still only broadcast 19 fixtures?

The TV contract is only for the Premiership as it stands and then only for a set number of matches. The TV money to the clubs is minute these days in the scope of things.

When one league was last discussed at the top table , 2017/18 , some existing clubs declined to be involved due to the increased costs ,I wonder if the same issues would still apply? Race nights being a large one with so many clashes and the ‘Monday-Thursday’ agreement with Poland.

1 hour ago, KK62 said:

The TV contract is only for the Premiership as it stands and then only for a set number of matches. The TV money to the clubs is minute these days in the scope of things.

When one league was last discussed at the top table , 2017/18 , some existing clubs declined to be involved due to the increased costs ,I wonder if the same issues would still apply? Race nights being a large one with so many clashes and the ‘Monday-Thursday’ agreement with Poland.

Thursday is available to Poland clubs for rearranged matches. If that happens Poles get priority. Our night is Monday.

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Crikey! You think Eurosport pay them for the rights to show it? At best they'll do it for free.

3 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

Thursday is available to Poland clubs for rearranged matches. If that happens Poles get priority. Our night is Monday.

And with clubs racing on different nights, we would loose our 'protected night'

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, M.D said:

And with clubs racing on different nights, we would loose our 'protected night'

If Poland always rule, the sport in this country is well and truly shafted. Whatever it takes we have to be able to run totally independent. Speedway racing can still be entertaining without top riders.

Edited by rearingtogo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rearingtogo said:

If Poland always rule, the sport in this country is well and truly shafted. Whatever it takes we have to be able to run totally independent. Speedway racing can still be entertaining without top riders.

I agree, many don't. We're right, they're wrong

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I agree, many don't. We're right, they're wrong

Got to make a firm stand and move on. It’s going to be best for British Speedway im personally fed up with all this messing the promoters and supporters about.

Too many barriers...

For the riders, to make it all pay, you will need to run 16 teams home and away twice..

That's 30 home meetings to fit in, (not a chance given they struggle now to end a season on time)..

You would also need to run Mon to Sat so guestfest after guestfest would happen (even more than now!), as riders race in Poland, Sweden, Denmark and Germany...

And trying to get promoters to "even up" teans fairly would be a huge task...

The best I think you could manage is an 8 team "Elite" league which all the top riders race in, (one home snd away plus 4 team play offs),, and then a 16 team division where the eight elite teams run a second team, (home and away once with 8 team play offs), without riders who race in Poland, meaning an almost "semi pro" division similar to the NNL set up in the 80's, with a few "experienced" fully pro No1's..

With the bottom end of the team very much at development level, with two, 2 pointers at six and seven...

(Or five and six if six rider teams are needed)

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mikebv said:

The best I think you could manage is an 8 team "Elite" league which all the top riders race in, (one home and away plus 4 team play offs),, and then a 16 team second division where they race home and away once with 8 team play offs), without riders who race in Poland, meaning an almost "semi pro" division similar to the NNL set up in the 80's, with a few "experienced" fully pro No1's..

With the bottom end of the team very much at development level, with two, 2 pointers at six and seven...

(Or five and six if six rider teams are needed)

This is Worth some consideration.

Edited by rearingtogo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2024 at 8:19 AM, rearingtogo said:

Do away with all other fixtures and concentrate on league only and running weekly fixtures would be completed in time. It will work and needs to be done in the interest of the sport. Fans get fed up seeing the same teams too often.

But can that be accomplished with clashes of race nights, unavailability of stadiums and riders ?

The current top table don't appear to want to change anything other than a draw not being a draw .