British Speedway Forum

Top 4 finishing order

15 minutes ago, ouch said:

Nobody stands to gain from riding against Ipswich? Are you mad? They stand to gain a qualification to the grand final. That brings in the best crowd of the year domestically.
I’m a Belle Vue fan and even I know we’re not going past the semis. We will gain nothing but had we ridden against Ipswich and Leicester we would have stood a better chance of making the final. If you think 1 semi v Sheffield is financially better than a semi and a final then you’d be well placed to join the current think tank that’s handling the financial affairs of UK speedway. 
Bates however is benefiting greatly for this is where this came from. 

Please read what I said, I said commercially. It's highly unlikely that Ippo will qualify for the final with the guests that are available to them, so 2 Leicester/Ippo matches will not attract the same crowd numbers as 2 BV/Sheffield matches, just down to distances as much as anything. Crowds will attend the finals no matter who is in them

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Please read what I said, I said commercially. It's highly unlikely that Ippo will qualify for the final with the guests that are available to them, so 2 Leicester/Ippo matches will not attract the same crowd numbers as 2 BV/Sheffield matches, just down to distances as much as anything. Crowds will attend the finals no matter who is in them

Sheffield dumped us out of the cup. They have comfortably twice beaten us to the bonus point this year. Last year we only dropped 2 bonus and one of those was to Sheffield. 

With Leicester, honours are even with regards the bonus and we have put up a much better display against the Lions this year compared to the tigers. Everyone knows the issues Ipswich currently face.
Commercially anyone saying Belle Vue would actively choose Sheffield is having a daft laugh. 

Given the information above Sheffield would pick The Aces commercially as the semi crowd will match that of the final against Leicester and that’s what they did. 

1 minute ago, ouch said:

Sheffield dumped us out of the cup. They have comfortably twice beaten us to the bonus point this year. Last year we only dropped 2 bonus and one of those was to Sheffield. 

With Leicester, honours are even with regards the bonus and we have put up a much better display against the Lions this year compared to the tigers. Everyone knows the issues Ipswich currently face.
Commercially anyone saying Belle Vue would actively choose Sheffield is having a daft laugh. 

Given the information above Sheffield would pick The Aces commercially as the semi crowd will match that of the final against Leicester and that’s what they did. 

I agree, it doesn't really matter anyway, somebody dreamt this outcome up and suggested it and I want to know who... because they should be stripped of their promoters licence! Why would Ippo agree to it? Why would anybody agree to it?

It's like a game of Cluedo... it was Bates, in the Panarama Room, with a Brown Envelope. 

• Haha 2

Proper speedway fans wouldn't turn up to any of these made up meetings,, unfortunately most proper speedway fans have already stopped going. Anyone who pays to watch this made up stuff deserve what they get.  

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 5

Cannot be arsed working it out...

But...

Head to Head, I wonder what it would have looked like as a mini league of four?

Maybe using that system would have added a modicum of integrity based on actual results? 

Rather than the total contrived bollox we have ended up with... 

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

Cannot be arsed working it out...

But...

Head to Head, I wonder what it would have looked like as a mini league of four?

Maybe using that system would have added a modicum of integrity based on actual results? 

Rather than the total contrived bollox we have ended up with... 

Doesn't really matter... there was not one reason on this planet to alter what had been in the rule book since it was published at the beginning of the season. They should not have gone anywhere near this. 

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Doesn't really matter... there was not one reason on this planet to alter what had been in the rule book since it was published at the beginning of the season. They should not have gone anywhere near this. 

It does pretty much render the whole season a nonsense doesn't it...?

As soon as four teams are so far in front, then simply have the play offs...

To be fair though, most matches have some kind of contrived bollox to get us to the end of the season don't they? 

Therefore, the ending just reflects what has gone before..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

I agree, it doesn't really matter anyway, somebody dreamt this outcome up and suggested it and I want to know who... because they should be stripped of their promoters licence! Why would Ippo agree to it? Why would anybody agree to it?

It's like a game of Cluedo... it was Bates, in the Panarama Room, with a Brown Envelope. 

….with a carvery. 

This has Bates written all over it. Quite why Mark continually goes along with this kind of thing, with any promoter is beyond me. 

2 minutes ago, ouch said:

….with a carvery. 

This has Bates written all over it. Quite why Mark continually goes along with this kind of thing, with any promoter is beyond me. 

... and mushy peas :D

Just throwing it out there but Belle Vue do have to make some money back from the SoN

24 minutes ago, iainb said:

... and mushy peas :D

Just throwing it out there but Belle Vue do have to make some money back from the SoN

Yep, a semi against Ipswich and a final  against whoever would have helped greatly but it wasn’t to be and we can’t be arsed getting lawyer involved any more. Apathy rules. 

1 hour ago, ouch said:

Nobody stands to gain from riding against Ipswich? Are you mad? They stand to gain a qualification to the grand final. That brings in the best crowd of the year domestically.
I’m a Belle Vue fan and even I know we’re not going past the semis. We will gain nothing but had we ridden against Ipswich and Leicester we would have stood a better chance of making the final. If you think 1 semi v Sheffield is financially better than a semi and a final then you’d be well placed to join the current think tank that’s handling the financial affairs of UK speedway. 
Bates however is benefiting greatly for this is where this came from. 

Any evidence at all to support that last sentence ? Or just more of your twisted hatred of everything Sheffield ?

21 minutes ago, ouch said:

Yep, a semi against Ipswich and a final  against whoever would have helped greatly but it wasn’t to be and we can’t be arsed getting lawyer involved any more. Apathy rules. 

Well maybe you needed to not finish 3rd then. Once Ipswich fell apart the only way to get them was to finish top and your team threw that away by having the worst away record in the top 4. Your only options for the semis were Leicester or Sheffield. No matter how many lawyers you got involved, Ipswich were not a possible opponent.

2 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

Well maybe you needed to not finish 3rd then. Once Ipswich fell apart the only way to get them was to finish top and your team threw that away by having the worst away record in the top 4. Your only options for the semis were Leicester or Sheffield. No matter how many lawyers you got involved, Ipswich were not a possible opponent.

I don't think Leicester or Ippo would have suggested the solution to a non existent problem that has been implemented

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ouch said:

There's absolutely no doubt this is commercial.  The semi final Aces v Tigers will see big crowds at both, 1 has to go out but still benefits from a big crowd.  Commercial there are no losers in this tie.  The Aces will not be favourite against either Sheffield or the in form team Leicester (my favourites to win the title), but that said on any given night around the NSS we are more than capable of beating both by a big enough score to win on aggregate.  If Ipswich have no Emil then they are cannon fodder in the play offs so there is noway Sheffield would give up riding them unless they felt it was commercial beneficial.  Also I suspect Eurosport/Discovery want Aces v Sheffield at some stage in the playoffs as it's the biggest tie, the only way to guarantee that is they meet in the Semi. 

13 hours ago, iainb said:

I don't think Leicester or Ippo would have suggested the solution to a non existent problem that has been implemented

I think Leicester will be delighted to get Ipswich.  I'm sure they pushed to be given top spot in the discussions. 

15 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

Isn't that what they have done ? 😉

It looks like that is effectively what has happened, so why not make it official in the future (if there is one)?

17 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

There's absolutely no doubt this is commercial.  The semi final Aces v Tigers will see big crowds at both, 1 has to go out but still benefits from a big crowd.  Commercial there are no losers in this tie.

Maybe not in the short term but as usual British Speedway is so shortsighted they fail to see the bigger longer term detrimental effect this has on our sport! Reading some of the posts on here, it's already been the final straw for some and I'm having my faith put to the test at the moment... I'm a bloody mug though and the powers that be know that and we'll continue to limp along like this forever. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

Maybe not in the short term but as usual British Speedway is so shortsighted they fail to see the bigger longer term detrimental effect this has on our sport! Reading some of the posts on here, it's already been the final straw for some and I'm having my faith put to the test at the moment... I'm a bloody mug though and the powers that be know that and we'll continue to limp along like this forever. 

Absolutely, I meant in short term as that's the way Speedway promotions think.  I fully agree this will drive some away, it stinks and makes a mockery of the whole league structure.  I will ask this question, Leicester are 5th, Sheffield 4th with the lions having 2 matches left v Lynn to get above the Tigers, do Sheffield agree to drop out?

• Like 4

16 hours ago, iainb said:

When the kings Lynn v Leicester matches were getting postponed earlier in the season most people would be thinking that the teams would be in a fight to finish 4th.

The SCB (or who made the decision) wouldn't have been thinking the top 3 would drop that many points that Leicester would have a possibility of finishing top.