British Speedway Forum

Top 4 finishing order

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't get what all the fuss is about.

At the point the decision was made, in order to win the title Leicester would have had to defeat either Ipswich or Belle Vue in the semis, then either Sheffield or the other of Ipswich and Belle Vue in the final. Now they have to beat Ipswich in the semis, then Sheffield or Belle Vue in the final. What is so different ?

The reasons for the decision have been explained and all the teams agreed, so why is it a farce, a fix, or anything else ?

Oh, please keep missing a letter out and referring to it as the pay offs, because that is so hilarious !!

1 hour ago, DaveWayne said:

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't get what all the fuss is about.

At the point the decision was made, in order to win the title Leicester would have had to defeat either Ipswich or Belle Vue in the semis, then either Sheffield or the other of Ipswich and Belle Vue in the final. Now they have to beat Ipswich in the semis, then Sheffield or Belle Vue in the final. What is so different ?

The reasons for the decision have been explained and all the teams agreed, so why is it a farce, a fix, or anything else ?

Oh, please keep missing a letter out and referring to it as the pay offs, because that is so hilarious !!

You know all that time you took off work, all that traveling, all those traffic jams, all those motorway closure detours on the way home, all the money you spent on travel, accommodation, food, stadium admission, programmes, following your team up and down the country since your team had secured a top 4 spot (July in Ippo's case?) because you knew that in the rules at the start of the season it said that 1st played 4th and 2nd played 3rd in the PAY OFFS. Guess what? All completely pointless!

Why change it? The cut off was 31/8, you call the 1,2,3 & 4 on that date, not start making your own up. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

You know all that time you took off work, all that traveling, all those traffic jams, all those motorway closure detours on the way home, all the money you spent on travel, accommodation, food, stadium admission, programmes,  following your team up and down the country since your team had secured a top 4 spot (July in Ippo's case?) because you knew that in the rules at the start of the season said that 1st played 4th and 2nd played 3rd in the PAY OFFS. Guess what? All completely pointless!

Why change it? The cut off was 31/8, you call the 1,2,3 & 4 on that date, not start making your own up. 

Why was it pointless ? It's what got your team the top 4 place. Why does it matter so much who you face in the semis ? You still have to beat 2 of the 3 other teams in the top 4 to win the trophy. Would you have been happy if the top 4 had been called at that date and Leicester were 5th, but the 2 matches against Kings Lynn would have got you in the top 4 ?

You just come across as a child stamping his feet when his parents won't give him what he wants.

41 minutes ago, iainb said:

You know all that time you took off work, all that traveling, all those traffic jams, all those motorway closure detours on the way home, all the money you spent on travel, accommodation, food, stadium admission, programmes, following your team up and down the country since your team had secured a top 4 spot (July in Ippo's case?) because you knew that in the rules at the start of the season it said that 1st played 4th and 2nd played 3rd in the PAY OFFS. Guess what? All completely pointless!

To be pedantic, there is no stated cut off date in the regs. That doesn't change your point, but it is something that needs tightening up 

• Like 1

It's always made up bollox so the end of the season (every end of season it appears), having some more made up bollox has a certain wonderful synergy...

Hope Ipswich get through with 5 cherry picked  guests, 5 in one match, and 5 different ones in the other. (If ten riders are still available), and that Emil rides in Poland this weekend but doesn't ride over here at all...

The smell of boilt pee on here would be hilarious.....:D

And then watch him get a 28 day ban that he serves in December.  :D

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

Why was it pointless ? It's what got your team the top 4 place. Why does it matter so much who you face in the semis ? You still have to beat 2 of the 3 other teams in the top 4 to win the trophy. Would you have been happy if the top 4 had been called at that date and Leicester were 5th, but the 2 matches against Kings Lynn would have got you in the top 4 ?

You just come across as a child stamping his feet when his parents won't give him what he wants.

Okay, if you're going to start to get abusive I'm not going to engage with your on this topic anymore, I hope you enjoy the pay offs, they're not for me this season. :t:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

To be pedantic, there is no stated cut off date in the regs. That doesn't change your point, but it is something that needs tightening up 

I thought the league season date was extended by 7 days to get the 2 Lions v Lynn matches in even though they counted for nothing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

I thought the league season date was extended by 7 days to get the 2 Lions v Lynn matches in even though they counted for nothing. 

All it says in the regs is

010.1.4 Competition Cut Off Dates

The BSP Ltd shall have sole responsibility for setting any completion and/ or cut off dates.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

All it says in the regs is

010.1.4 Competition Cut Off Dates

The BSP Ltd shall have sole responsibility for setting any completion and/ or cut off dates.

The SCB issued a press release:

https://www.scbgb.co.uk/news.php?extend.200

So I assume that the completion/ cut off dates must have been set in the rules as the SCB needed to agree to extend the completion date and ignore the cut off date altogether. 

Do the rules make provision for the making up of pay off fixtures :D

You're right though, this is a side issue and the SCB just agreed to the rigging of the fixtures because all the clubs agreed between themselves!

You couldn't make it up!

22 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It's always made up bollox so the end of the season (every end of season it appears), having some more made up bollox has a certain wonderful synergy...

Hope Ipswich get through with 5 cherry picked  guests, 5 in one match, and 5 different ones in the other. (If ten riders are still available), and that Emil rides in Poland this weekend but doesn't ride over here at all...

The smell of boilt pee on here would be hilarious.....:D

And then watch him get a 28 day ban that he serves in December.  :D

Would be funny if it weren't true! There's a lot of stuff I can put up with as far as Speedway is concerned, guests and all that but when you start to get into fixture rigging at the end of a 5 month season, I personally draw a line there. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, iainb said:

Okay, if you're going to start to get abusive I'm not going to engage with your on this topic anymore, I hope you enjoy the pay offs, they're not for me this season. :t:

Convenient side stepping of the question about if your team had been in 5th on 31/8 with 2 matches remaining and a chance of 4th ?

5 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

Convenient side stepping of the question about if your team had been in 5th on 31/8 with 2 matches remaining and a chance of 4th ?

If thems the rules, then they should be out, that's why we have cut off dates... now show me the rules that say they just make the pay off fixtures up as they see fit. You don't seem to understand the concept of a rule book in professional sports. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

The SCB issued a press release:

https://www.scbgb.co.uk/news.php?extend.200

So I assume that the completion/ cut off dates must have been set in the rules as the SCB needed to agree to extend the completion date and ignore the cut off date altogether. 

Do the rules make provision for the making up of pay off fixtures :D

You're right though, this is a side issue and the SCB just agreed to the rigging of the fixtures because all the clubs agreed between themselves!

You couldn't make it up!

No pay offs provided for. They are just in Old Bob's imagination.

It doesn't take much to find anomalies in the Regulations if you look for them. 

• Like 1

I think any Ipswich fan isn’t bothered anymore about this.

1. They are just waiting for the season to finish.

2. They (or maybe just me) are fed up of racing Sheffield all the time :D I’m glad we got Leicester.

Although I totally agree that rules shouldn’t be broken so I am contradicting myself! The sport is broken in Britain full stop. Until we get a massive investment of money into the sport we will just be ‘lucky’ to have speedway.

Thats how I see it anyway. Happy for people to disagree… that’s what a forum is for :D

It seems the Championship have no such commercial reasons to make a similar decision

Poole go into their semi final in 4 days with opponents TBC

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It seems the Championship have no such commercial reasons to make a similar decision

Poole go into their semi final in 4 days with opponents TBC

They know Poole fans will watch any old 5h1t :D

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Bit nasty, I am sure you do not speak for most Leicester fans who will be there in their droves for the play offs to watch a good meeting with all the riders going at it full throttle

I doubt you'll see many Leicester fans at the Poole pay offs :D