British Speedway Forum

Top 4 finishing order

With the top 4 teams pretty much decided but with 4 meetings left the finishing order isn’t. 
What order do people predict they will finish with the current injury situations. 

Ipswich have three home meetings and one away and with decent guests they could expect to pick up at least two wins so maybe fourth is a little pessimistic. Notwithstanding it is going to be close this year and hopefully we get to see some of the best racing without further injuries. Whether another campaign in 2025 is feasible with seven man teams is debatable. Given the Polish scene and the pressure on riders to compete or suffer substantial financial penalties which in itself is detrimental to other European leagues it might well be time to start all over in the UK and try something different. Too few riders chasing too many empty spots is not going to work long term when Poland are calling the tune. 

5 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I'm going for 

1 Sheffield
2 Ipswich
3 Leicester
4 Belle Vue

But only 2 points separating 1st to 4th so anything could happen depending on guests available etc

Sheffield of late have only been winning home meetings close. So would have to up there game away to take the title.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rearingtogo said:

Sheffield of late have only been winning home meetings close. So would have to up there game away to take the title.

I put them down as getting nothing at Ipswich but winning at King's Lynn. If they didn't win there they could be 3rd or 4th. 

10 hours ago, Rob B said:

I put them down as getting nothing at Ipswich 

Sheffield HAVE to be winning at Ipswich on Monday. They’re running R/R for Woffinden which negates their advantage to a degree, but they’re facing a team who are missing their three heaviest hitters at home. People are underestimating just how good Ellis has been at Foxhall this year. Looking at the 2024 stats, he’s averaged 9.42 at Foxhall. In fact the three missing have home averages of 11.27, 9.65 and 9.42. You’re replacing that with R/R, Troy bloody Batchelor and Bewley who can’t ride the place! Bewley posted his best Foxhall score of 9 for Belle Vue earlier in the season, winning his first two rides before reverting to type. 

I’ve already said I think we’ll finish fourth and some have said I was pessimistic. Do people not realise the absolute state we’re currently in? The guts have been ripped out of the side. We’ve had youngsters at the bottom end of the team that have all improved, they’ve been a big reason why we’ve topped the table all season long despite the injury problems further up. But it’s a different kettle of fish riding without any pressure when the top boys are scoring maximums, to suddenly being the important riders who HAVE to score points. You also lose that inspiration that having Doyle and Emil in the pits brings to the younger members of the side. They almost certainly pull them along. The whole atmosphere at Ipswich has changed in recent weeks even before Emil’s crash and when Ellis crashed out early against Leicester it killed the meeting stone dead. People were leaving before heat 8 which never happens. We have four meetings left, Sheffield Belle Vue and Birmingham at home and Birmingham away. I think we’ll win one of those, Birmingham at home on the final fixture. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

I’ve already said I think we’ll finish fourth and some have said I was pessimistic. Do people not realise the absolute state we’re currently in? The guts have been ripped out of the side. We’ve had youngsters at the bottom end of the team that have all improved, they’ve been a big reason why we’ve topped the table all season long despite the injury problems further up. But it’s a different kettle of fish riding without any pressure when the top boys are scoring maximums, to suddenly being the important riders who HAVE to score points. You also lose that inspiration that having Doyle and Emil in the pits brings to the younger members of the side. They almost certainly pull them along. The whole atmosphere at Ipswich has changed in recent weeks even before Emil’s crash and when Ellis crashed out early against Leicester it killed the meeting stone dead. People were leaving before heat 8 which never happens. We have four meetings left, Sheffield Belle Vue and Birmingham at home and Birmingham away. I think we’ll win one of those, Birmingham at home on the final fixture. 

People leaving before heat 8 ? I wouldn't call them supporters.

Is Doyle not turning up to matches then to help inspire the team ? Isn't he still a registered rider ? Surely that is part of his duties ? Tai was at all the Sheffield matches when injured last year, helping, supporting, and advising his team mates.

19 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

People leaving before heat 8 ? I wouldn't call them supporters.

Is Doyle not turning up to matches then to help inspire the team ? Isn't he still a registered rider ? Surely that is part of his duties ? Tai was at all the Sheffield matches when injured last year, helping, supporting, and advising his team mates.

He was at the King’s Lynn meeting a few weeks ago. He’s been having a lot of physio and treatment in Poland since his injury. On you saying people are “not supporters” for leaving early, I can understand them personally. When Ellis crashed out it was one kick in the nuts too many for some people. The meeting was dead from a result point of view, the track was slick and the racing dreadful. Everything stacks up sometimes and I personally don’t blame people for getting off early. It wasn’t a mass exodus by any means, but a few had seen enough. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

7 hours ago, Aries said:

Sheffield HAVE to be winning at Ipswich on Monday. They’re running R/R for Woffinden which negates their advantage to a degree, but they’re facing a team who are missing their three heaviest hitters at home. People are underestimating just how good Ellis has been at Foxhall this year. Looking at the 2024 stats, he’s averaged 9.42 at Foxhall. In fact the three missing have home averages of 11.27, 9.65 and 9.42. You’re replacing that with R/R, Troy bloody Batchelor and Bewley who can’t ride the place! Bewley posted his best Foxhall score of 9 for Belle Vue earlier in the season, winning his first two rides before reverting to type. 

Bewley getting some practise in for Thursday 

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

He was at the King’s Lynn meeting a few weeks ago. He’s been having a lot of physio and treatment in Poland since his injury. On you saying people are “not supporters” for leaving early, I can understand them personally. When Ellis crashed out it was one kick in the nuts too many for some people. The meeting was dead from a result point of view, the track was slick and the racing dreadful. Everything stacks up sometimes and I personally don’t blame people for getting off early. It wasn’t a mass exodus by any means, but a few had seen enough. 

As a lower league football fan I have plenty of experience of being at matches where the result was sorted way before the end of the match. A true supporter stays there and gets behind the team, not walk out in a huff because their team are losing.

4 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

As a lower league football fan I have plenty of experience of being at matches where the result was sorted way before the end of the match. A true supporter stays there and gets behind the team, not walk out in a huff because their team are losing.

Ahh the old soooperfan stuff! Good for you. 

Just now, DaveWayne said:

No superfan stuff at all. Just don't see the point in walking out on your team when they need you most.

It happens all the time. How often do you see stands empty in football grounds when their team has conceded a third or fourth goal? Happens in every sport including Speedway. It doesn’t make those people more or less a fan than those that stay so we’ll agree to disagree. You could argue that those that leave care more than those that stay. Some people love their teams in whichever sport so much, that they can’t bear to sit and watch them get tore a new one. Everyone is different.