British Speedway Forum

Ipswich vs Sheffield 19/8/24

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

You don’t build a team with that kind of attitude though do you? You don’t pass up the opportunity of signing Jason Doyle and Emil Sayfutdinov on the remote chance they suffer season ending injuries. If every promotion took that view we would never have gone with Rickardsson Gollob and Louis in our treble winning year of 98, Cradley would never have gone with their all star side back in the early 80’s, Poole would never “gamble” on a top two of Holder and Darcy Ward during their trophy laden years. I’ve no doubt if every club had the budget to do so and the riders were available, every single one would build the same way. Injuries happen in this sport we all know that, but to lose not one but both of your world class top two is more than unlucky. There won’t be a single Ipswich fan though that won’t want the promotion to sign them up again next year just incase this happens again, that’s a cast iron certainty. We’ll take that risk ta. 

For all the stick King is getting by the way, he still isn’t fully fit either. He has metal work in his hand that is restricting his movement. But it’s his living, if he doesn’t ride he doesn’t earn but you won’t see the best of him for the remainder of this year either. It’s a season that promised everything, and has all gone wrong. The others won’t care of course and I don’t blame them one bit. Dog eat dog and down to the other three to take advantage. 

One final point the team this year was stronger than last years and comfortably so even though we missed out on the double in the final heat of the season. Rew and Thompson have improved on last year, and we carried an ill rider all year who shouldn’t have been riding last season which isn’t the case this year. Ellis has been a huge upgrade on Riss. 

I'm pretty sure we are in agreement as your reply mirrors a lot of what I said. Yes, the promoters need to gamble. The fans want to see the world class riders and a league match containing Doyle, Sayfutdinov, Woffinden, and the Holder brothers is something we could have only dreamed of a few years ago.

Sadly, it hasn't worked out for either team this season due to injuries, although so far we haven't suffered quite as badly as last season.

As you say, when the gamble fails there is no sympathy from others as everyone wants to see their team win, irrespective of the circumstances.

• Like 1

As for Discovery, totally useless  I had an online chat with them on Sunday and again Monday telling them they were advertising the wrong meeting and today I thought I'd look at the highlights, what highlights you ask, anyway I wanted to listen to the interview with JD and guess what it was still advertised as Leicester v Oxford if  Phil Morris is trying his best to promote the sport he needs to have an urgent meeting with Discovery and sort them out first.

16 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

As for Discovery, totally useless  I had an online chat with them on Sunday and again Monday telling them they were advertising the wrong meeting and today I thought I'd look at the highlights, what highlights you ask, anyway I wanted to listen to the interview with JD and guess what it was still advertised as Leicester v Oxford if  Phil Morris is trying his best to promote the sport he needs to have an urgent meeting with Discovery and sort them out first.

Not much better if you tried to record it in Eurosport on Virgin as the scheduled programme changed to Olympics at 8pm so mine stopped recording. 

Luckily I had only started watching a few minutes behind actual time and this bit coincided with Picko arguing about the red flag so I didn't miss any races !!

The Foxhall track has never been the best for entertaining racing,, although in my opinion it's now worse since the track alterations years ago. When the track is bad it's really bad for entertaining racing,, and when it's good, it's slightly better. Having riders like Doyle and Emil have certainly papered over the cracks the last few years.  They have certainly added a bit of polish to what is one of the worst turds in all the league racing wise. Strangely though some think it's fantastic when you read comments on various club social media. 

29 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

The Foxhall track has never been the best for entertaining racing,, although in my opinion it's now worse since the track alterations years ago. When the track is bad it's really bad for entertaining racing,, and when it's good, it's slightly better. Having riders like Doyle and Emil have certainly papered over the cracks the last few years.  They have certainly added a bit of polish to what is one of the worst turds in all the league racing wise. Strangely though some think it's fantastic when you read comments on various club social media. 

It’s a tough one. Foxhall is very limited by its size and the external stock car track I’m not really sure how or If you can ever make it a better race track. However, as you say I can recall a lot better meetings with the old track shape. Although you can potentially put that down to the quality and racing attitude of the riders of the past that used to be in league Crump, Gollob, Adam’s, Rickardsson, Loram, Ward etc along with very different machinery. Having Doyle and Emil is key for Ipswich because even in defeat they make the meeting worth watching alone. Without them there is little to attract fans. As someone mentioned above we need someone like a Pickering outside those top 2 who is an old school racer and will always give 110%. Rew is probably our closest rider to that.

• Like 1

With both Jason & Emil missing the heart has been ripped out of the side, King’s interview after the match pretty much confirmed that.

we can only hope that Emil can make it back this season & that both Emil & Jason can return next year. Those two have been a breath of fresh air & brought so much to the club.

The reason King gets so much stick is because when you really need him be that a pivotal heat or like last night a whole meeting he seems to go missing.

He has been on the wrong end of far to many 1-5s at Ipswich in recent seasons when the chips are down against riders he should be more that capable of beating at home.

As for the track it was clearly set up to unsettle the Holders I’d expect more of the same for the cup final & play offs.

Just need to get Belle Vue out of the way now & regroup for the cup final & play offs.

15 minutes ago, ThinBlueWitch said:

It’s a tough one. Foxhall is very limited by its size and the external stock car track I’m not really sure how or If you can ever make it a better race track. However, as you say I can recall a lot better meetings with the old track shape. Although you can potentially put that down to the quality and racing attitude of the riders of the past that used to be in league Crump, Gollob, Adam’s, Rickardsson, Loram, Ward etc along with very different machinery. Having Doyle and Emil is key for Ipswich because even in defeat they make the meeting worth watching alone. Without them there is little to attract fans. As someone mentioned above we need someone like a Pickering outside those top 2 who is an old school racer and will always give 110%. Rew is probably our closest rider to that.

I can’t see Pickering coming to Ipswich but would certainly take him or Kvach over King next year both have attacked Foxhall in recent weeks.

15 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Could finish 2nd & meet Leicester?

I cant see Ipswich beating anyone in the play-offs unless they get top guests in.

Last night they made riders who hate Foxhall look like World beaters, Chris Holder's score basically summed up the lack of belief in the Ipswich camp imo.

Ipswich need Lindgren and the in form Janowski to guest to stand any chance imo because Nicholls will be on TV duty for the play-offs.

In the KOC Final they need Lindgren and Nicholls for the Home leg with Lindgren and Janowski for the away leg at Sheffield.

King has been a loyal servant for Ipswich  over the years but I think it is time he moved on. For someone of his experience around Foxhall he rides the wrong lines like last night, kept going to the fence on bend 2 and getting passed up the inside. Time for new blood like Tom Brennan or like others have said Jan Kvech.

Edited by Bash

30 minutes ago, Bash said:

King has been a loyal servant for Ipswich  over the years but I think it is time he moved on. For someone of his experience around Foxhall he rides the wrong lines like last night, kept going to the fence on bend 2 and getting passed up the inside. Time for new blood like Tom Brennan or like others have said Jan Kvech.

King has been a loyal servant and time he moved on has been said for atleast the last 5 seasons,, but he's still here😂

He's been leaving the same hole up the inside for decades,, he still does that aswell🤷

Edited by Baldyman

1 hour ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

With both Jason & Emil missing the heart has been ripped out of the side, King’s interview after the match pretty much confirmed that.

we can only hope that Emil can make it back this season & that both Emil & Jason can return next year. Those two have been a breath of fresh air & brought so much to the club.

The reason King gets so much stick is because when you really need him be that a pivotal heat or like last night a whole meeting he seems to go missing.

He has been on the wrong end of far to many 1-5s at Ipswich in recent seasons when the chips are down against riders he should be more that capable of beating at home.

As for the track it was clearly set up to unsettle the Holders I’d expect more of the same for the cup final & play offs.

Just need to get Belle Vue out of the way now & regroup for the cup final & play offs.

I’m not convinced Emil will want to return next year. I would think for Poland and Sweden contracted riders, England is a lot of extra effort for not a great reward.

8 minutes ago, customhouseregularisback said:

I’m not convinced Emil will want to return next year. I would think for Poland and Sweden contracted riders, England is a lot of extra effort for not a great reward.

Emil will be back I don't have any doubts about that. He doesn't ride in Sweden and he loves it at Ipswich. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't sign again for next year.

50 minutes ago, TTT said:

I cant see Ipswich beating anyone in the play-offs unless they get top guests in.

Last night they made riders who hate Foxhall look like World beaters, Chris Holder's score basically summed up the lack of belief in the Ipswich camp imo.

Ipswich need Lindgren and the in form Janowski to guest to stand any chance imo because Nicholls will be on TV duty for the play-offs.

In the KOC Final they need Lindgren and Nicholls for the Home leg with Lindgren and Janowski for the away leg at Sheffield.

The irony of that first sentence bearing in mind the grief your fans dished out to Sheffield for their use of guests in last years playoffs when both their 1 and 5 were injured.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveWayne said:

The irony of that first sentence bearing in mind the grief your fans dished out to Sheffield for their use of guests in last years playoffs when both their 1 and 5 were injured.

What about missing Vissing? Paid double figures from his convenient guest replacement wasn’t it?

14 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

What about missing Vissing? Paid double figures from his convenient guest replacement wasn’t it?

How was it convenient, he didn't ride again all season, do you think Sheffield paid him and Glasgow not to ride so we could have a guest?

10 hours ago, Steve Irving said:

I wouldn’t call the racing at Sheffield entertaining either. Your lot were embarrassing on here yesterday. “We’re never winning this, you’ll see” “easy 10 point Witches win” “50-40 Ipswich or more”. You were facing a team that has literally had the stuffing ripped out of them, a team missing their 1st, 2nd and 3rd heaviest scorers at home and replaced them with rider replacement, Batchelor and a quality rider who has proven can’t get to grips with the place. Your pretence that you were never winning it was pathetic. 

In answer to you quote about us predicting 10 point Witches win (I did).

My reasons were

(1) Sheffield away form has been poor.

(2) Our form at Foxhall has been poor.

(3) Holder brothers allegedly hate Foxhall.

(4) Our reserves are far weaker than Ipswich.

(5) Yes Ipswich were without Emil and Doyley, but they did bring in Dan Bewley fresh off a Grand Prix win.

(6) Looking at the Ipswich team (Emil and Doyley been the exception), there is a big difference between the riders home and away average, which suggests that they have a team that is particularly good home form.

Yes on paper we should have won, but speedway meetings are not won on paper, if they were we would have won at Oxford (1st meeting) and Kings Lynn. 

But I am more than happy that we won the meeting, but not daft enough to know that we would have lost if Emil and Doyley had been in the Ipswich team.

Ipswich have been really unlucky this season, to lose 2 quality riders in Emil and Doyley has killed their season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

I'm only cheering for Ipswich on a temporary basis until Peterborough return.

Peterborough is my team but I've gone to Foxhall a few times this season to see some live Speedway as it's my choice of track to visit while the Panthers are out of action so it's only natural to cheer them on in the process considering I'm paying to watch them.

A bit like Wolves fans at Brum or Swindon fans at Oxford.

Edited by TTT
  • Like 1