British Speedway Forum

Ipswich vs Sheffield 19/8/24

9 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

The only reason you miss Emil and Doyle is that they can trap,our top four riders were trapping all night and the races as a whole were done after the second bend but being brutally honest I couldn't part with my hard earned every week to witness that,yes it was a very comfortable win for us in the end but come on you can't call that which was served up entertaining..far from it.

Trapping is Emil’s biggest weakness! Doyle can trap with the best, but on the occasions he does miss the gate it normally doesn’t take him long to hit the front. He’s box office at Foxhall. 

Your top four had little resistance and were never likely to. The Ipswich team is beaten, easy pickings with little fight left in them. 

22 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

The only reason you miss Emil and Doyle is that they can trap,our top four riders were trapping all night and the races as a whole were done after the second bend but being brutally honest I couldn't part with my hard earned every week to witness that,yes it was a very comfortable win for us in the end but come on you can't call that which was served up entertaining..far from it.

I wouldn’t call the racing at Sheffield entertaining either. Your lot were embarrassing on here yesterday. “We’re never winning this, you’ll see” “easy 10 point Witches win” “50-40 Ipswich or more”. You were facing a team that has literally had the stuffing ripped out of them, a team missing their 1st, 2nd and 3rd heaviest scorers at home and replaced them with rider replacement, Batchelor and a quality rider who has proven can’t get to grips with the place. Your pretence that you were never winning it was pathetic. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OldtimerRay said:

What a poor meeting, gate and go bore fest, no wonder speedway is going down the pan

With the exception of Belle Vue the best race tracks such as Workington, Glasgow, Redcar and Scunthorpe are in the Championship. Speedway needs to be entertaining, this was sadly lacking last night . I appreciate losing Emil, Doyley and Ellis were a  factor.

20 minutes ago, Aries said:

Hasn’t been the same since Doyle was out let alone Emil. Doyle has by far the best home average of any rider in the league the last couple of seasons. Foxhall is his fortress and he’s a joy to watch especially when he misses the gate. Nicholls has done ok covering, but you’re replacing Doyle’s 13’s/14’s/15’s at Ipswich with Nicholls’ 8’s 9’s and 10’s. That change alone is a 10 point swing in team scores on occasions. I’d argue the title aspirations ended back in May! When you build like Ipswich have you just can’t lose either let alone both of your top two because they’re irreplaceable. 

Isn't that just a case of a gamble taken by the management though ?  Your last line sums it up, that your team 100% relied on the top 2 firing on all cylinders. It was the same last year, especially away from home, where the bulk of the points always came from Doyle and Emil. Bringing in Ellis strengthened the 1-5 this season, as has Thompson's performance, but it was a huge gamble to put all your eggs in 2 baskets so to speak.

Sheffield in a similar situation in that they chose to run with 2 rising stars this season in order to have a stronger 1-5. Losing Tai has had a massive impact due to the way the team was built and running R/R away from home has been a struggle at times, but what can you do when 6 out of 7 are riding on the same night ?

Both managers took a chance with their team structures this season, and both have suffered for it, but without the injuries they would have been way ahead of everyone else.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gavan said:

You are on a wind up surely 

It’s not just Ipswich top 2 missing it’s the best 2 riders in the whole league totally irreplaceable 

R/R for Ipswich scored 5 and Bewley for Emil scored 10 from 6 and Troy got 6 from 5 replacing Ellis….. that’s 21 points when you would expect Doyle Emil and Ellis to get a minimum of 3 and a win for Ipswich 

Also why did we do what the holder brothers wanted and bladed the track …. They can’t ride tricky tracks and we slickened it off for them 

Must give credit to Simon stead as after the meeting we stood by the pits and my daughter was holding my 6 week old granddaughter and he came up talked to the baby asked lots of questions and chatted for 5 minutes when he clearly knew we was Ipswich fans … much respect to him 

You must be deluded if you think the track was bladed at the request of a visiting rider. Its more likely it was bladed because everybody was complaining about it and it was on Eurosport for everybody to see.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

Isn't that just a case of a gamble taken by the management though ?  Your last line sums it up, that your team 100% relied on the top 2 firing on all cylinders. It was the same last year, especially away from home, where the bulk of the points always came from Doyle and Emil. Bringing in Ellis strengthened the 1-5 this season, as has Thompson's performance, but it was a huge gamble to put all your eggs in 2 baskets so to speak.

Sheffield in a similar situation in that they chose to run with 2 rising stars this season in order to have a stronger 1-5. Losing Tai has had a massive impact due to the way the team was built and running R/R away from home has been a struggle at times, but what can you do when 6 out of 7 are riding on the same night ?

Both managers took a chance with their team structures this season, and both have suffered for it, but without the injuries they would have been way ahead of everyone else.

You don’t build a team with that kind of attitude though do you? You don’t pass up the opportunity of signing Jason Doyle and Emil Sayfutdinov on the remote chance they suffer season ending injuries. If every promotion took that view we would never have gone with Rickardsson Gollob and Louis in our treble winning year of 98, Cradley would never have gone with their all star side back in the early 80’s, Poole would never “gamble” on a top two of Holder and Darcy Ward during their trophy laden years. I’ve no doubt if every club had the budget to do so and the riders were available, every single one would build the same way. Injuries happen in this sport we all know that, but to lose not one but both of your world class top two is more than unlucky. There won’t be a single Ipswich fan though that won’t want the promotion to sign them up again next year just incase this happens again, that’s a cast iron certainty. We’ll take that risk ta. 

For all the stick King is getting by the way, he still isn’t fully fit either. He has metal work in his hand that is restricting his movement. But it’s his living, if he doesn’t ride he doesn’t earn but you won’t see the best of him for the remainder of this year either. It’s a season that promised everything, and has all gone wrong. The others won’t care of course and I don’t blame them one bit. Dog eat dog and down to the other three to take advantage. 

One final point the team this year was stronger than last years and comfortably so even though we missed out on the double in the final heat of the season. Rew and Thompson have improved on last year, and we carried an ill rider all year who shouldn’t have been riding last season which isn’t the case this year. Ellis has been a huge upgrade on Riss. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Waspman said:

When it was 34/44 how could u have a super heat with 2 races left 4 engine failures even the aggregate score was well off

Its the second televised meeting in a row where Tatum thinks that two 5 - 1s are needed to get a draw when a team is 10 points behind

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Its the second televised meeting in a row where Tatum thinks that two 5 - 1s are needed to get a draw when a team is 10 points behind

He's a little lost without Nigel beside him, and Allen brings nothing to the party imo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Odds On said:

as expected a easy win for Tigers. Any team losing their top three will more often than not get beat, no matter who your guests are, Batchelor was a poor choice of guest from the get go.

Thought the presentation on Eurosport was very poor, in general i enjoy their coverage of it, still don't see what Abbie brings to the show, having someone in the pits interviewing riders needs someone with a rapport with them, ideally a rider or retired rider, currently with Abbie there is no banter, there is no meaningful interviews, no real insight as to what goes on in the pits, Scott Nicholls should be doing what she does.

Eurosports presentation does speedway no favours in my opinion.I know they have little to work with,with poor crowds,and often gate and go races,but it all seems very amateur,especially when you compare it to their presentation of cycling.Kelvin might be a nice bloke,but as the face of speedway,he does not cut it for me.Only my opinion of course,I am sure some will have a different take on it.

2 hours ago, Manifesto said:

After all the pile on over the Sheffield track are we going to discuss the joke that was served up last night? Or is Sheffield only track that’s allowed to be deemed dangerous? Both home and away riders couldn’t turn bike, riders falling through bends. Nicholls almost embarrassed to have to explain what was happening with the track on Eurosport 

Nicholls explained clearly that the  track in the first few heats needed a bit of old-style nous and skill with the bike. The Holders, as usual, weren't interested. As soon as it slackened off they were happy.  Ipswich should have put water on it - I wonder if Morris had an influence on what was/wasn't done with the track ...

• Like 1

I'm not usually too critical of the TV coverage but last night, those first few heats especially, tipped me over the edge. It was horrendous and an embarrassment to the sport, you can only hope that nobody was watching for the first time. 

Track was a farce at the start, it soon became rideable but the entertainment on show was non-existent. Music sounded like it hasn't been changed since the Victorian era. Mechanic in the pits wearing a Redcar Bears shirt, branded attire is a great idea but to be wearing another club's shirt just looks so tinpot. Stuff like that may not be a massive issue alone but it all adds up to make the product seem amateurish. 

And then the coverage itself from Eurosport. Aside from the usual poor camerawork and wrong graphics, we now have them making a complete mess of the scores. Commentary.. I like Kelvin and the circumstance of him becoming lead commentator was obviously very sad but he's hopeless at that role. He must have been doing this job for over 20 years now and still spends half the time going "umm, er". He must know the rules but seems to forget them, consistently has trouble keeping up with the score and getting that wrong. Same old comments like for Chris Holder it's always "great to see him back in British speedway". Mix it up! Mention he's a Poole legend, started his career at the Isle of Wight or something like that. I also thought it was poor and almost disrespectful that he said he knew little of Luke Harrison. He was known to be riding a few hours before, if that's the case then maybe research a little about him? It's your job to do things like that. 

• Like 7

I agree, TV Coverage was abysmal. The amount of times the graphics were incorrect and Kelv and his 'normal fluffs'. 

Track was terrible, you can have good meetings there, even with Doyle and Emil, I don't think it would have made the racing much better, result would have been tighter and a few good heats, but not enough to counteract the track/coverage. 

ANY newbies who decided to take a watch yesterday will be thinking twice going forward. I was glad I was at home and could do some chores instead (what a sad state of affairs :D)

1 hour ago, Derrickn said:

Eurosports presentation does speedway no favours in my opinion.I know they have little to work with,with poor crowds,and often gate and go races,but it all seems very amateur,especially when you compare it to their presentation of cycling.Kelvin might be a nice bloke,but as the face of speedway,he does not cut it for me.Only my opinion of course,I am sure some will have a different take on it.

I like Kelvin but works best when he can "bounce" off of someone on the commentary, think he works better with Chris Louis than Ollie Allen, maybe use Allen in the pits instead of Abbie.

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Nicholls explained clearly that the  track in the first few heats needed a bit of old-style nous and skill with the bike. The Holders, as usual, weren't interested. As soon as it slackened off they were happy.  Ipswich should have put water on it - I wonder if Morris had an influence on what was/wasn't done with the track ...

Let's just ignore the fact that your own riders were struggling most with the conditions. It's all someone else fault as per usual.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Manifesto said:

After all the pile on over the Sheffield track are we going to discuss the joke that was served up last night? Or is Sheffield only track that’s allowed to be deemed dangerous? Both home and away riders couldn’t turn bike, riders falling through bends. Nicholls almost embarrassed to have to explain what was happening with the track on Eurosport 

I think the track was in a perfect condition until someone walked around it sticking a bloody screwdriver in it...!!!:D

Speedway in the UK is really poorly presented isn't it? 

Both the on track action and the off track commentary and atmosphere in the stadia.....

Certainly no "FOMO" for anyone watching UK domestic league speedway on Eurosport is there?

Someone, or something, needs to grab it by the throat and shake the hell out of it...

And quickly...

42 minutes ago, Panthers99 said:

I agree, TV Coverage was abysmal. The amount of times the graphics were incorrect and Kelv and his 'normal fluffs'. 

Track was terrible, you can have good meetings there, even with Doyle and Emil, I don't think it would have made the racing much better, result would have been tighter and a few good heats, but not enough to counteract the track/coverage. 

ANY newbies who decided to take a watch yesterday will be thinking twice going forward. I was glad I was at home and could do some chores instead (what a sad state of affairs :D)

His lack of research on speedway flabbergasts me every week. However, he will not hesitate to mention Riss or Harris' exploits on the weekend in the longtrack. 

I say it every week but how after all this time are they still not showing the riders scores throughout the meeting, bar at the start line?

For all Phil's rallying cries to promote the sport, they need to look within first. All the good stuff he's brought in is dragged kicking and screaming back to where it was by the amateur production package.

After the first few it wasn't the worst meeting I've seen, Pickering is the kind of rider Ipswich need next year to push on, King and Ellis are too conservative

5 minutes ago, DJC said:

His lack of research on speedway flabbergasts me every week. However, he will not hesitate to mention Riss or Harris' exploits on the weekend in the longtrack. 

I say it every week but how after all this time are they still not showing the riders scores throughout the meeting, bar at the start line?

They cannot even get the start line riders correct...

"Tactical Rides" seem to be Rider Replacement and any rider could be a "Rising Star" at any time...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DJC said:

For all Phil's rallying cries to promote the sport, they need to look within first. All the good stuff he's brought in is dragged kicking and screaming back to where it was by the amateur production package.

After the first few it wasn't the worst meeting I've seen, Pickering is the kind of rider Ipswich need next year to push on, King and Ellis are too conservative

I thought it was dreadful even after the track slickened off to be honest. Instantly forgettable from a racing point of view. 

18 minutes ago, mikebv said:

They cannot even get the start line riders correct...

"Tactical Rides" seem to be Rider Replacement and any rider could be a "Rising Star" at any time...

haha that did cross my mind, but even when they do get it right they can't do it!

19 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I thought it was dreadful even after the track slickened off to be honest. Instantly forgettable from a racing point of view. 

Which is perfectly fair, I enjoyed watching Pickering and it felt like he was in every race after it slickened off.