British Speedway Forum

Pole Vote on rider injury issues

With riders receiving injuries, and some riders are choosing to ride abroad  but are withholding services for their uk clubs what’s your opinion on the 28 day ban? I propose a strict sentence of a total U.K. ban to stop this from reoccurring. Your opinion on this issue would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

I think with the sporadic nature of UK fixtures, some teams going weeks without a match and riders riding almost nightly around Europe it's more than likely (as has been proven) that riders will be riding elsewhere and aggravating existing injuries during the season. Because British Speedway chooses to work in its own little bubble where it likes to pretend that no other Speedway exists anywhere else in the world 28 day bans are handed out like confetti. Add to this The Weasel acting as judge, jury and executioner and you get the rules being applied differently to different riders.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 8:50 AM, rearingtogo said:

With riders receiving injuries, and some riders are choosing to ride abroad  but are withholding services for their uk clubs what’s your opinion on the 28 day ban? I propose a strict sentence of a total U.K. ban to stop this from reoccurring. Your opinion on this issue would be much appreciated.

Agreed.  It might be tough to start with but British speedway would survive.

• Like 1

The only real answer would be a binding contract which riders should sign to confirm that they will be available for all British fixtures which should be enforceable in law, and with financial penalties for non-compliance, but even then, it would be virtually impossible for clubs to successfully challenge the fact the a medical certificate is inaccurate. Any rider could always say that even though he has been declared unfit, it is still his personal choice of whether he rides or not.

In other words, I am saying that there is no foolproof way of dealing with this problem, other than a total ban on foreign nationals riding for British Clubs. Again, technically illegal and unenforceable if individual clubs challenged it.

So we are back to square one - I don't know of an answer to this!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

The only real answer would be a binding contract which riders should sign to confirm that they will be available for all British fixtures which should be enforceable in law, and with financial penalties for non-compliance, but even then, it would be virtually impossible for clubs to successfully challenge the fact the a medical certificate is inaccurate. Any rider could always say that even though he has been declared unfit, it is still his personal choice of whether he rides or not.

In other words, I am saying that there is no foolproof way of dealing with this problem, other than a total ban on foreign nationals riding for British Clubs. Again, technically illegal and unenforceable if individual clubs challenged it.

Not just foreign riders though is it that pick and choose their meetings, there have been some mystery illnesses with British (based) riders this season, some who you'd think better of... then of course there's always the "van (plane) broke down on the way" excuse.

Edited by iainb

Some riders can score just 3 points in Poland, (maybe even less?), and pick up the same as a max over here...

They know who they need to listen to, and they do as they get asked/told...

He who pays the piper etc, etc ..

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 7:16 PM, mikebv said:

Some riders can score just 3 points in Poland, (maybe even less?), and pick up the same as a max over here...

They know who they need to listen to, and they do as they get asked/told...

He who pays the piper etc, etc ..

Jason Doyle recently said a single point for him in Poland is equal to a 15 point maximum in the uk. !!!!

On 8/16/2024 at 4:36 PM, brianbuck said:

Would it be Illegal as we are not in the EU.

It would be upto the rider to legally challenge, would they really want to burn bridges with the BSPA and the fans?

Poland and England have always set legally dodgy rules(insisting on clubs employing so many national riders).

On 8/18/2024 at 9:49 PM, Racin Jason 72 said:

Jason Doyle recently said a single point for him in Poland is equal to a 15 point maximum in the uk. !!!!

If that really is the case, then it is time to cut professional speedway in the UK down to a small handful of venues on a semi-pro basis. 

5 hours ago, TINYS said:

Would it be Illegal as we are not in the EU.

Any employment contract  stipulates which countries law is used as the basis of the contract. By agreeing to sign the contract all parties are bound by the aforementioned law. Further, it is usual that the specified law is that of where the organisation issuing the contract is based especially if the service is to be carried out in that country. Example. UK speedway club issues contract to Australian rider then UK law would be applicable. 

Edited by 1 valve

11 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Any employment contract  stipulates which countries law is used as the basis of the contract. By agreeing to sign the contract all parties are bound by the aforementioned law. Further, it is usual that the specified law is that of where the organisation issuing the contract is based especially if the service is to be carried out in that country. Example. UK speedway club issues contract to Australian rider then UK law would be applicable. 

Understood thanks.

The contracts signed by riders are enforceable in law, but rather than courts deciding on every case over many months/years the recognised governing body have the right to set out penalties which the courts would recognise & accept ( i.e. 28 day ban and drug abuse as examples).

It would be perfectly legal for the governing body to impart a total ban on foreign riders competing in the UK which would lead to the end of professional competitive speedway in the UK simply because the ban would be applicable to all riders from Australasia, The Americas, Europe, South America and Asia. In other words all countries, all continents, leaving only  UK nationals available to ride in the UK and thus in such a scenario, any competent British rider will more than likely ride abroad full time in order to make a living. 

Edited by 1 valve