British Speedway Forum

Defunct tracks and what’s now built on their sites?

rearingtogo

10 minutes ago, CHR2 said:

How big is the track and is it shale or tarmac?. I assume noise is not a problem if they hold car meetings. Has anyone ever considered reintroducing speedway there?. 

It is a 327 yard tarmac track run by Spedeworth.

• Thanks 1

High Beech is now part of the Epping Forest Conservation Centre and has been swallowed up by forest, though you can still see much of the outline of the track - unless that's become overgrown since I last visited.

Edited by norbold

5 hours ago, rearingtogo said:

Seems to me by all the postings that most tracks are lost to supermarkets. Such a shame that speedway seems to be the loser because of it.

And ice rinks too!

Edited by Beirao

On 8/13/2024 at 2:31 AM, BOBBATH said:

Wot about Cleveland Park, home of the Bears and Long Eaton Stadium-let alone Somerton Park home of the Wasps. Don't get me started on the long lost Hackney Stadium. Is Pennycross in Plymouth still a possibility for speedway

Pennycross stadium was demolished. Now a housing estate.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CHR2 said:

What’s happening or not happening re Bradford. Shale track laid and motor sport being held. As a former WF venue is it feasible as a GP venue post Cardiff?. 

Apparently not wide enough when the air fence is added. Previously they lifted the rugby pitch corners and it made the track wider, but now the rugby pitch I believe is untouched and as such is too narrow for FIM rules.

32 minutes ago, Shockster said:

Apparently not wide enough when the air fence is added. Previously they lifted the rugby pitch corners and it made the track wider, but now the rugby pitch I believe is untouched and as such is too narrow for FIM rules.

Pity. Would be a good replacement for Cardiff but for the fence issue.

1 hour ago, Youhave2minutes said:

Anyone know what is on the former Crewe track?

Looking on Google maps for Earle St, suggests the area is now the 'Grand Junction Retail Park'. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 2:31 AM, BOBBATH said:

Wot about Cleveland Park, home of the Bears and Long Eaton Stadium-let alone Somerton Park home of the Wasps. Don't get me started on the long lost Hackney Stadium. Is Pennycross in Plymouth still a possibility for speedway

I passed Cleveland Park on Sunday via the flyover. It's now a school/academy and five aside football pitches by the looks of it.

Swindon has a some houses,  speedway and greyhound tracks, but no pits, sound barrier, amenitues in the new 'stand' or referee's box!