British Speedway Forum

Defunct tracks and what’s now built on their sites?

rearingtogo

Just as a matter of interest it would be great to know what has been built on the site of former tracks. 

Edited by rearingtogo

Posted (edited)

Milton Keynes. Formerly raced at the Groveway now has flats built on that ground.

Boston. Formerly raced at New Hammond beck road now occupied by part Tesco & B&Q

Crayford formerly raced at The Ladbrook Stadium now Sainsbury’s occupy that site.

Edited by rearingtogo

• rearingtogo changed the title to Defunct tracks and what’s now built on their sites?

Sunderland.

Perfect for Speedway. Nothing, as far  as I know, to prevent Speedway returning as the Greyhound Stadium is still there and much improved to what it was in the '60s and '70s.

I would very much doubt whether any Promoters would be interested - but - the Stadium is there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Housing on Cradley I think, West Ham housing too.

The West Ham housing has roads named after riders ridden in their team

Posted (edited)

Bristol speedway track at Eastville has ikea store on its former site

Newport Hayley stadium is now a haulage yard.

Exeter speedway county ground  is now a housing site.

Edited by rearingtogo

Wot about Cleveland Park, home of the Bears and Long Eaton Stadium-let alone Somerton Park home of the Wasps. Don't get me started on the long lost Hackney Stadium. Is Pennycross in Plymouth still a possibility for speedway

11 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Glasgow White City now has a motorway running thru it?

And a police station. 

Motherwell  a school and a park. Blantyre 1 an expressway and Lidls and Farmfoods in a small shopping mall. Not sure about Blantyre 2.

Paisley a supermarket 

Edited by Beirao

19 hours ago, rearingtogo said:

Milton Keynes. Formerly raced at the Groveway now has flats built on that ground.

Boston. Formerly raced at New Hammond beck road now occupied by part Tesco & B&Q

Crayford formerly raced at The Ladbrook Stadium now Sainsbury’s occupy that site.

Sorry for being a bit of a pedant here, Crayford Stadium was replaced by a much smaller Greyhound Only stadium, with about 75% of the land being sold to Sainsbury's. Absolutely no way of shoe-horning a track in there, in fact many of the dog owners complain the track is too small

• Thanks 1

Arlington Stadium, Eastbourne, is still a fully operational stadium with a speedway track still in situ that the owners will not let anybody use..

That's really sad..

• Sad 1

Wimbledon is part houses, part football ground. Hackney became the media centre for the Olympics, which I believe has now been converted to residential use. London White City is now BBC offices. Harringay is a supermarket, New Cross housing and a park and Walthamstow is housing. Wembley is still Wembley, just a very different Wembley.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Seems to me by all the postings that most tracks are lost to supermarkets. Such a shame that speedway seems to be the loser because of it.

Edited by rearingtogo

On 8/13/2024 at 6:28 PM, norbold said:

Yarmouth stadium still holds greyhound racing and stock cars.

How big is the track and is it shale or tarmac?. I assume noise is not a problem if they hold car meetings. Has anyone ever considered reintroducing speedway there?. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CHR2 said:

How big is the track and is it shale or tarmac?. I assume noise is not a problem if they hold car meetings. Has anyone ever considered reintroducing speedway there?. 

Tarmac. Track is a decent size and have decent crowds for the stockcars.

Edited by rearingtogo