British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates Vs Oxford Cheetahs 14/8/24

Well done to Oxford and a special well done to Luke Killeen who had the meeting of his career. Only dropped one point all night and was the real match winner. In comparison the Poole reserves failed to score other than the point gifted. 

The writing was on the wall last week with a poor performance at Scunthorpe which showed our current vulnerabilities. We are carrying three riders and to expect the remaining 4 to be on peak form to salvage results is a step too far. With Oxford the one team to have two heat leaders capable of beating our top boys, it didn’t take much extra for the result to swing in Oxfords favour.

The rain had made the track heavy for the first few heats but once settled down Oxford were far quicker out of the starts. Killeen, who has improved quite rapidly this season revelled in the conditions. We had nothing to offer at reserve with Thomsen a shadow of the rider he had been earlier this season before his falls. It looks like he has come back far too early and has lost confidence. Hook was next to useless, his only point in a three rider race. Hagon was poor again and all those exciting races are a thing of the past currently and his u21 championship a distant memory. Interesting that his form dipped when he joined Leicester.

Cook was a shining beacon and would have had a paid 18 max but for a rerun, which gave=ve Masters a second bite of the cherry. Lawson didn’t have a great night and was beaten fair and square in some tough racing. And Brennan although riding well looks to be riding every day. Sunday Poland, Monday Brum, Tuesday Sweden, Wednesday Poole, Thursday Brum, Friday Cardiff practice, Saturday Cardiff, Sunday Poland and repeat…

Don’t think this was a wake up call. I think we are quite weak at the moment with no reserve and number two punch lacking to challenge. it is what it is.

Well done Oxford. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Pooles team was built top heavy relying on them to do the baulk of the scoring and when they don’t like Lawson and Z Cook last night they will struggle 

Hagon was signed as a 2 pointer for gods sake and is way above his average yet some of you are disappointed in him 

Thomsen is what he is a 4 pointer and your number 7 was always going to be an issue 

Surely Poole can’t choke 2 seasons running 

6 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Pooles team was built top heavy relying on them to do the baulk of the scoring and when they don’t like Lawson and Z Cook last night they will struggle 

Hagon was signed as a 2 pointer for gods sake and is way above his average yet some of you are disappointed in him 

Thomsen is what he is a 4 pointer and your number 7 was always going to be an issue 

Surely Poole can’t choke 2 seasons running 

Oh they can

51 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well done to Oxford and a special well done to Luke Killeen who had the meeting of his career. Only dropped one point all night and was the real match winner. In comparison the Poole reserves failed to score other than the point gifted. 

The writing was on the wall last week with a poor performance at Scunthorpe which showed our current vulnerabilities. We are carrying three riders and to expect the remaining 4 to be on peak form to salvage results is a step too far. With Oxford the one team to have two heat leaders capable of beating our top boys, it didn’t take much extra for the result to swing in Oxfords favour.

The rain had made the track heavy for the first few heats but once settled down Oxford were far quicker out of the starts. Killeen, who has improved quite rapidly this season revelled in the conditions. We had nothing to offer at reserve with Thomsen a shadow of the rider he had been earlier this season before his falls. It looks like he has come back far too early and has lost confidence. Hook was next to useless, his only point in a three rider race. Hagon was poor again and all those exciting races are a thing of the past currently and his u21 championship a distant memory. Interesting that his form dipped when he joined Leicester.

Cook was a shining beacon and would have had a paid 18 max but for a rerun, which gave=ve Masters a second bite of the cherry. Lawson didn’t have a great night and was beaten fair and square in some tough racing. And Brennan although riding well looks to be riding every day. Sunday Poland, Monday Brum, Tuesday Sweden, Wednesday Poole, Thursday Brum, Friday Cardiff practice, Saturday Cardiff, Sunday Poland and repeat…

Don’t think this was a wake up call. I think we are quite weak at the moment with no reserve and number two punch lacking to challenge. it is what it is.

Well done Oxford. 

Poland is now finished for Brennan.

no need to buy any stuffing for your x mas dinner , you already have it  . resest button pressed at Poole last night . poole riders beaten before they turned a wheel .looked like the track beat them and Oxford  . looks like worky will get some backlash from this result , or will they  ?    U.T.C.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Sometimes Poole fans amaze me, you praise your team all year, naturally as you keep winning, but you have ONE bad match & it's like you've given up already!

I know not all Poole fans are the same before everyone tells me lol!

Because from the Scunny home meeting performance you could see this coming as we were carrying a couple during that one as well (helped that their No1 didn't score any points!) 

Even Zach said in his pre meeting interview that we couldn't carry passengers again. We should be okay against Worky next week as they don't have a Killeen type of form rider at reserve but won't be a 30 point win like last time. 

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Sometimes Poole fans amaze me, you praise your team all year, naturally as you keep winning, but you have ONE bad match & it's like you've given up already!

I know not all Poole fans are the same before everyone tells me lol!

I was wondering if there was a Wi-Fi outage on the south coast as this topic is extremely quiet today.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

So let's reset after last night. Well done to a determined Oxford team who clearly weren't fazed by the track or the opposition on the night. There were some fast race times by both teams. Congrats to Killeen and Ben Cook, clearly the best 2 riders on show.

My only criticism of captain Cook was him choosing the wrong gates in heat 1 (its an ongoing niggle of mine).

Others have already stated the problem areas but those riders just need to get fitter and get going again as there aren't any options. Hopefully the result will give them the necessary 'kick up the posteriors'!

Moving on........

Edited by Skidder1
  • Haha 1

Oxford did well - no excuses - Killeen was outstanding 

Form comes and goes - hope we can peak again at the right time 

In other news Sam Hagon is a class act - my grandchildren over from Qatar to avoid the extreme heat came to speedway for the first time - they did drawings etc to get signed in the pits - despite his dip in form Sam signed everything and they are now hooked on Speedway ! 

• Like 5

Several usual suspects missing from posting on the forum after a home defeat for the pilots , probably still drowning in your tears, bet the flat white is tasting bitter today 😀 no doubt the comets will feel a backlash next week, or will we ?? UTC

Ps the forum being down again is no excuse for not posting 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Poole fans are so so fickle it’s laughable 

You have Sam Hagon signed on a 2.56 as a reserve and Thomsen on a 4….. both are averaging more and the reason you have done well is these 2 have over performed and Ben Cook has progressed in this league to a number 1 almost 

Hagon and Thomsen have dipped slightly and it’s all doom and gloom as if you expect these guys to score 6 and 7 each meeting 

Lawson getting 7 and Brennan being beat by Killeen didn’t help but seems these 2 are exempt from criticism … much easier to aim the flack and Hagon and Thomsen 

• Like 1