British Speedway Forum

Sheffield v Ipswich 8th August

Glad to hear that Emil has come away from that one relatively ok, considering it could of been so much worse...

Great to read his statement.. What a class guy he his. Hung it all on the line for his club, when lets face it, many wouldn't, and no one would of blamed him if he didn't, in that situation.

Wishing Emil a speedy recovery.

Edited by Bald Bloke
spelling
  • Like 1

Good to hear that Emil has come out of the crash without serious injury. Although will definitively be uncomfortable for a couple of weeks. Get well soon Emil. Guess Ipswich can follow the Kings Lynn protocol and cancel fixtures due to lack of riders now. :rofl:

25 minutes ago, Manifesto said:

Unfortunately air fence has taken a lot of room up as it has on many tracks. Hard to say whether Emil would have come off still if it was just boarding. In real time they both come in to that 3rd bend as hard as they could I genuinely think it was just the bike took off from Emil 

The main thing is he is ok!

8 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Glad to hear that Emil has come away from that one relatively ok, considering it could of been so much worse...

Great to read his statement.. What a class guy he his. Hung it all on the line for his club, when lets face it, many wouldn't, and no one would of blamed him if he didn't, in that situation.

Wishing Emil a speedy recovery.

Couldn't agree more BB. A top class rider putting it right on the line for his British club. An absolute breath of fresh air for British speedway and I sincerely hope he returns next year.

Get well soon Emil.

• Like 3

Great news that Emil is OK, a few stitches is a great outcome considering how bad the crash looked. 

Edited by SUPERACE

Firstly terrific news Emil’s injuries aren’t as bad as first feared.

Jack wasn’t going over to have words with a stricken Emil he was going to see how he was but Chris had got there first and could see the open wound on his posterior and Emil in pain so ushered Jack away so he couldn’t see it.  Jack was sat devastated in the pits, Emil is one rider that all the others seem to like so he was concerned about his injury.  Both Jack and Chris as well as other Sheffield riders were speaking to Marc Bates saying this accident is exactly why they need to change how the track at Owlerton is prepared. 

Too many armchair fans on here ready to go in two footed when they wasn’t there and didn’t either see the incident of the events afterwards. 

Edited by 4BM
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, 4BM said:

Jack wasn’t going over to have words with a stricken Emil he was going to see how he was but Chris had got there first and could see the open wound on his posterior and Emil in pain so ushered Jack away so he couldn’t see it.  Jack was sat devastated in the pits, Emil is one rider that all the others seem to like so he was concerned about his injury.  Both Jack and Chris as well as other Sheffield riders were speaking to Marc Bates saying this accident is exactly why they need to change how the track at Owlerton is prepared. 

Too many armchair fans on here ready to go in two footed when they wasn’t there and didn’t either see the incident of the events afterwards. 

I was there and after the meeting was told by a rider that jack was not happy at all with emils riding. Hence why I said what I said in an earlier post, anyway that’s by the by and the main thing is emils health, and luckily he seems to have come away generally unscathed 

Emil was so appreciative to all paramedics, club officials and fans who were concerned. Stating everyone was a legend. Such a true gentleman, that’s why he is so much liked by all riders. Get sorted soon Emil, looking forward to see you taking to the track asap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manifesto said:

Unfortunately air fence has taken a lot of room up as it has on many tracks. Hard to say whether Emil would have come off still if it was just boarding. In real time they both come in to that 3rd bend as hard as they could I genuinely think it was just the bike took off from Emil 

The point is that the bike took off because of the heavy build-up of shale - that's how the current rocket-ships respond to changes in grip. It was an accident waiting to happen. Earlier in the meeting C.Holder managed to control his fall when he realised he was going too close to the edge. Sayfutdinov gave it everything, because that's what he does, just like Harris, and other fearless/bonkers riders.

The simple point is that there's absolutely no need to let the shale build up like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bash said:

First and foremost thank god that Emil isn’t seriously injured. When I saw the crash I thought it could be the footrest which could cause the damage. As for Jack he should learn some respect from his brother Chris. You don’t go to give abuse to a rider who is prone on the track and was seen being pushed away. Chris went running back to the pits and brought something back to help. Didn’t Jack like it as Emil had the audacity to pass him in turn one, Jack then didn’t give him any room down the back straight which caused Emil to hit the fence and then he was a passenger into turn 3. Like people have said if he rolled the throttle off he would’ve hit the fence earlier. As for just Ipswich fans having a go about the track a lot of comments on here are from fans around the country not just Ipswich

I think he ran back to the pits to get Jacks dummy 

1 hour ago, 4BM said:

This is your version from a home supporter who will always defend their riders, the following is from a KL fan not an Ipswich one who was there. The events were plain to see on the live stream and Chris pushed him away not ushered. People will always have different opinions about what happened.

Gasser90 also said "I think jack the hot head was going over to Emil to give him some words, they way he was shaking his head and gesturing, Chris pushed jack away and told him to head back to pits"

1 hour ago, Gasser90 said:

I was there and after the meeting was told by a rider that jack was not happy at all with emils riding. Hence why I said what I said in an earlier post, anyway that’s by the by and the main thing is emils health, and luckily he seems to have come away generally unscathed 

I’m thrilled Emil has got away relatively well from what was a horrible crash. There are very few that carry themselves on and off track as well as him, a bright spark in what had been a pretty rough period for speedway in this country.

Questions have got to be asked of the track prep at Sheffield though and how the material was allowed to build up like that across the course of the night, it resembled a motorcross berm.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JoeW436 said:

I’m thrilled Emil has got away relatively well from what was a horrible crash. There are very few that carry themselves on and off track as well as him, a bright spark in what had been a pretty rough period for speedway in this country.

Questions have got to be asked of the track prep at Sheffield though and how the material was allowed to build up like that across the course of the night, it resembled a motorcross berm.

Sheffield are not alone .....

17 minutes ago, Trees said:

Sheffield are not alone .....

It does not take much to seek four or six volunteers to act as rakers even if you have to let them in for free, rider safety is paramount, so I am not sure what the issue is with finding some willing hands to help out. It never use to be a problem but perhaps health and safety has reared its head. No matter, Emil and Chris live to fight another day and between them are probably two of the best entertainers on the British track scene giving it everything to win and entertain us mere mortals in the stands.

• Like 2

People that are blaming the track preparation / track design - when was the last bad crash at Sheffield? This isn’t a weekly or monthly occurrence, can’t remember the last bad looking crash at Sheffield 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cue Ball said:

People that are blaming the track preparation / track design - when was the last bad crash at Sheffield? This isn’t a weekly or monthly occurrence, can’t remember the last bad looking crash at Sheffield 

You have to admit to seeing riders get into trouble in deep material generally though, not just at Sheffield?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trees said:

You have to admit to seeing riders get into trouble in deep material generally though, not just at Sheffield?

I admit nothing!! To be honest, I rarely go to away matches or find time to watch streamed meetings (and wasn’t at the meeting on Thursday) so can’t really comment on what happens elsewhere - unlike others who seem to take as gospel what their mate’s aunties friend’s son-in-law thought he may or may not have overheard some other random person saying in the terraces!

I don’t think that there is any disagreement that bikes can’t handle dirt like they used to, I was more raising a point that people are implying that the Sheffield track is inherently dangerous on the basis of one accident.