British Speedway Forum

Sheffield v Ipswich 8th August

7 hours ago, The SAINT said:

Unfair on the track guy ,as the Tigers are mere tenants at the stadium (and the least important ones) he only has a few hours on a Thursday afternoon (from 1.30 from memory ) to "prepare " it !

That's not what has been said!  There's no attempt during the match to recover the build-up of shale on the outside, producing a line which in theory provides an exciting spectacle, but in reality makes an already fast track much more dangerous for rocket ship instant-reaction bikes.

Amazing news that he came out of that one with no broken bones! I’m genuinely happy for the guy, forget speedway for one moment, it’s a guys life that was at risk!

Emil wrote to me this morning that he plans to be back for the play offs!

• Like 2

Best wishes to Emil, he’s come out of that pretty much unscathed. Lucky boy. 

why don’t Sheffield grade the track and bring the dirt back during the match. This is a regular occurrence here. 

it was only a few months ago Sheffield lads refused to race belle Vue when the berm was right up by the fence. 
what’s the difference 

• Like 1

First and foremost thank god that Emil isn’t seriously injured. When I saw the crash I thought it could be the footrest which could cause the damage. As for Jack he should learn some respect from his brother Chris. You don’t go to give abuse to a rider who is prone on the track and was seen being pushed away. Chris went running back to the pits and brought something back to help. Didn’t Jack like it as Emil had the audacity to pass him in turn one, Jack then didn’t give him any room down the back straight which caused Emil to hit the fence and then he was a passenger into turn 3. Like people have said if he rolled the throttle off he would’ve hit the fence earlier. As for just Ipswich fans having a go about the track a lot of comments on here are from fans around the country not just Ipswich

• Like 2

10 hours ago, spin king said:

Absolutely agree it looked like he missed Bomber legs by millimetres.

Like I said in previous posts not the way you want to win a meeting. 

Firstly, get well soon Emil. It’s as important now to wish the injured rider well as it was with Max Fricke in ‘22. 

If you mean defeating injury hit opponents then that’s EXACTLY how you like to win meetings. You then get irritate when adequate replacements are sort!

• Like 1

First and foremost I'm glad Emil got away with that one, could have been so much worse.

I have only seen the clip from that heat so far, but for me Emil was stuck on the high line and Jack didn't leave him any racing room whatsoever to try and turn and avoid the crash. He was just a passenger once he'd entered the 3rd bend. 

The track wouldn't have helped, but don't think a smooth track would have made any difference 

24 minutes ago, Bash said:

First and foremost thank god that Emil isn’t seriously injured. When I saw the crash I thought it could be the footrest which could cause the damage. As for Jack he should learn some respect from his brother Chris. You don’t go to give abuse to a rider who is prone on the track and was seen being pushed away. Chris went running back to the pits and brought something back to help. Didn’t Jack like it as Emil had the audacity to pass him in turn one, Jack then didn’t give him any room down the back straight which caused Emil to hit the fence and then he was a passenger into turn 3. Like people have said if he rolled the throttle off he would’ve hit the fence earlier. As for just Ipswich fans having a go about the track a lot of comments on here are from fans around the country not just Ipswich

Well said, totally agree with all your comments.

Curiously I don’t think I have ever heard Owlerton being described as narrow before and don’t think I have ever thought of it that way in all the years I’ve been going there.

Glad to hear Emil is ok.

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Great News!

It could have been so much worse...

As for the track?

Only saw the incident on TV, but it was clear that the outside resembled a "ploughed field", so surely something should have been done about it?

Seen the same thing happen quite a few times at Sheffield, which makes an already narrow track become even narrower as the vast majority of riders wouldn't use that outside line..

You would think that the referee could quite clearly see the massive difference in "slick" to "heavy" from their vantage point wouldn't you and seek some corrective measures...

I would be amazed if heat one would be allowed to start with the track in that condition so why is any other heat different?  

Best Wishes to Emil, a true entertainer, and a great ambassador for the sport...

Brilliant point.

Delighted Emil isn't too bad, great news.

13 minutes ago, Cue Ball said:

Curiously I don’t think I have ever heard Owlerton being described as narrow before and don’t think I have ever thought of it that way in all the years I’ve been going there.

Glad to hear Emil is ok.

I had this discussion on here before I even suggested could they widen the track as the football pitch no longer is used it was suggested it wasn’t an option -

Edited by GeneralMelchett

2 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Emil is a lucky guy thankfully nothing serious hopefully we’ll seem him back before long the guy is already an Ipswich legend.

As for the track the dirt line build up on the outside is an issue didn’t Danny have a similar crash there last season although that time he was sucked into the air fence.

Danny’s was bend 2 - there is a cracking video on you tube of Lee Complin riding the same line a few years back - someone’s testimonial I think - don’t think the dirt line was piled up against the fence like it was last night. 

found it it was Garry Stead’s benefit 

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cue Ball said:

Glad to hear Emil is ok.

I used to go to Sheffield regularly during the sixties and seventies,and always thought it one of the better tracks,and never thought of it as narrow.Of course,that was before air fences,and the bikes were more controllable then.There were always plenty of rakers on the bends,who would drag the shale back to the middle of the track after every race,don't know if that happens now.Very pleased to hear that Emil was not badly injured.

I am not a fan of Jack Holder after he and Kurtz let down Poole in the playoffs a few seasons back when they went on a bender the night before riding at Ipswich. I am indifferent to him, unlike his old bruv who I think is a great rider and decent bloke.

But I completely disagree with those that said Jack Holder had a go at Emil while he was laying prone on the deck. Watching last night Jack turned on the track, parked his bike quickly by the gate, then ran over to see how Emil was. He then organised the track staff to form a cordon around Emil to block the view. No way did I see Jack Holder have a go at Emil. Quite the opposite.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

I had this discussion on here before I even suggested could they widen the track as the football pitch no longer is used it was suggested it wasn’t an option -

I seem to recall that Neil Machin wanted to widen the track, by cutting in to the infield , but was refused permission by stadium owner.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Danny’s was bend 2 - there is a cracking video on you tube of Lee Complin riding the same line a few years back - someone’s testimonial I think - don’t think the dirt line was piled up against the fence like it was last night. 

found it it was Garry Stead’s benefit 

Unfortunately air fence has taken a lot of room up as it has on many tracks. Hard to say whether Emil would have come off still if it was just boarding. In real time they both come in to that 3rd bend as hard as they could I genuinely think it was just the bike took off from Emil 

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

But I completely disagree with those that said Jack Holder had a go at Emil while he was laying prone on the deck. Watching last night Jack turned on the track, parked his bike quickly by the gate, then ran over to see how Emil was. He then organised the track staff to form a cordon around Emil to block the view. No way did I see Jack Holder have a go at Emil. Quite the opposite.

Exactly this. Both Holders were straight over to Emil, Chris was holding his head. How people can actually think Jack ran over there for an argument just shows the mentality of some on this forum 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Manifesto said:

Exactly this. Both Holders were straight over to Emil, Chris was holding his head. How people can actually think Jack ran over there for an argument just shows the mentality of some on this forum 

Glad it wasn't just me that saw this. Didn't post last night as I didn't want to wake up to a 'pile on' this morning. It seems that some on here can't wait for an excuse to atttack the Sheffield track, riders, and fans, even without the full facts.

• Like 1