British Speedway Forum

Berwick v Oxford 03/08/24 Championship

38 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Not to mention the Oxford TM who seems to have let this pass unnoticed.

Cannot remember if the referee warned Luke before (should have been) but he moved in that heat also so maybe a combination of the two things got him excluded?

1 hour ago, Gambo95 said:

Cannot remember if the referee warned Luke before (should have been) but he moved in that heat also so maybe a combination of the two things got him excluded?

Can't see the relevance as they are two entirely different offences

Oxford have arguably been robbed of three away wins by poor decisions (Workington, Killeen excluded - Redcar, Nicholls excluded - Berwick, Killeen excluded). Thankfully they should still make the playoffs, but hopefully the luck will start to even itself out!

Edited by Bojangles

4 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Oxford have arguably been robbed of three away wins by poor decisions (Workington, Killeen excluded - Redcar, Nicholls excluded - Berwick, Killeen excluded). Thankfully they should still make the playoffs, but hopefully the luck will start to even itself out!

Having seen the incidents you are talking about would agree.should make play offs though.

• Like 1

Very enjoyable meeting, one because many thought, including me, that Berwick had little or no chance of winning and secondly because of how the meeting ended with an extra heat home win.

Sadly its the last home league match next week but though there were rumours last night of a junior individual meeting in September.

42 minutes ago, screm said:

Very enjoyable meeting, one because many thought, including me, that Berwick had little or no chance of winning and secondly because of how the meeting ended with an extra heat home win.

Sadly its the last home league match next week but though there were rumours last night of a junior individual meeting in September.

never understand why we started season so early with only 9 teams in the League

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Must be so as we can have a 5 week break in the high of summer.Sunstroke is awful.!!

This season has been particularly shambolic regarding the fixture list. Clubs having weeks off in the height off summer is mind blowing especially for a SUMMER SPORT.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Gazc said:

This season has been particularly shambolic regarding the fixture list. Clubs having weeks off in the height off summer is mind blowing especially for a SUMMER SPORT.

Trying to kill the Oldies off with the freezing Oct fixtures no doubt.

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Needs to be a complete overhaul at the top , this continuing every year and  be expected to be treated seriously is laughable.

Fans are just an afterthought by the decision makers.

The list of decisions made at the start of each season is getting more bizarre ,the icing on the cake being the 38 team building limit this year.

That decision topped the list for madness by a distance, in my opinion there should be a body representing supporters for there input on what fans think and taken into account.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

17 home meetings max if you have an outstanding season, so starting on April 27th and allowing blank Saturdays for British Final,SON, Cardiff, and the weather behaving Sept 14th finish. 

22 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Needs to be a complete overhaul at the top , this continuing every year and  be expected to be treated seriously is laughable.

Fans are just an afterthought by the decision makers.

The list of decisions made at the start of each season is getting more bizarre ,the icing on the cake being the 38 team building limit this year.

That decision topped the list for madness by a distance, in my opinion there should be a body representing supporters for there input on what fans think and taken into account.

If the limit had been any higher than 38 then the league would have been even more a league of two halves than 2023 was - a battle between the haves and the have-nots. It was a necessary evil due to the number of heatleaders that departed the league and in fact probably needed to be even lower as Plymouth's struggles to get a number 1 demonstrate.

Perhaps it is Glasgow's poor team building that is troubling you.

Off thread but I would like to highlight the work the supporters club are doing behind the scenes to help keep Berwick Speedway on track with their 5-1 draw. The information is on other parts of social media as to how to join but to date the supporters club have handed over £55000 to the club, without which its very difficult to see how speedway would survive in the town.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, screm said:

Off thread but I would like to highlight the work the supporters club are doing behind the scenes to help keep Berwick Speedway on track with their 5-1 draw. The information is on other parts of social media as to how to join but to date the supporters club have handed over £55000 to the club, without which its very difficult to see how speedway would survive in the town.

Thankyou your due a win again sometime lol

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SpeedwaySlider72 said:

If the limit had been any higher than 38 then the league would have been even more a league of two halves than 2023 was - a battle between the haves and the have-nots. It was a necessary evil due to the number of heatleaders that departed the league and in fact probably needed to be even lower as Plymouth's struggles to get a number 1 demonstrate.

How many heatleaders departed the league over the rumoured 38 point limit this time last year, and found other avenues rather than be left out? Did they jump or were they pushed?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SpeedwaySlider72 said:

Your opinion of course my opinion differs, and why would anything trouble me ? Strange comment the Glasgow team this year wasn’t great  we  could all see that but the standard of entertainment has went up another level so all good from that front.

I can get your point to a certain extent but diluting the product year on year and still changing fans the same or more isn’t going to end well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Normski said:

17 home meetings max if you have an outstanding season, so starting on April 27th and allowing blank Saturdays for British Final,SON, Cardiff, and the weather behaving Sept 14th finish. 

Don’t talk sense ,you might be regarded as “forum f#nny”by certain people.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Your opinion of course my opinion differs, and why would anything trouble me ? Strange comment the Glasgow team this year wasn’t great  we  could all see that but the standard of entertainment has went up another level so all good from that front.

I can get your point to a certain extent but diluting the product year on year and still changing fans the same or more isn’t going to end well.

Diluting the product certainly doesn’t attract bigger Attendances.They don’t seem to worry about that though.

• Like 1