British Speedway Forum

Watching speedway crowds between racing during track preparations they are left with nothing to do.Years ago the announcer  would keep the fans involved by doing war cries, 2468 who do we appreciate then the teams nickname  T  I G E R S tigers . it keeps the crowd interest .But all we see is fans looking bored every other sport have crowds chanting singing when the action stops so come on presenters get the fans involved liven them up keep them interested. At belle vue chase the ace and white line challenge are two things they  do the crowd love it but more needs to happen at most tracks especially during tractor racing

• Like 1

Riders and officials being interviewed is one idea but I do wonder why they bother when they do do this as u can't hear what they are saying most of the time. 

I do remember Long Eaton had the animals from the local circus appearing during an interval once, good old Steve Johnston going round the track on the back of a camel. Ermmm yep that kinda wouldn't happen these days. Also remember bike stunts being performed.

Think most things are difficult to do during the tractor breaks as they can happen without notice. And of course intervals can be curtailed if the weather is against things.

Glasgow have a great idea involving the kids race on the back straight which keeps people's interest.

Think the most important thing is engaging with the kids in the breaks as us 'oldies' seem used to seeing which tractor wins. 

Maybe something which can be interactive with mobile phones/tablets but I guess it comes down to cost.

Ermmmmm, not sure I've helped any.

Edited by lbw

In my experience kids do get bored at Speedway . Keeping them more entertained is definitely something promoters should be looking at.

Sure the adults would appreciate more entertainment during track grades and intervals also. Chase at Belle Vue does a great job. Like lbw stated you very often can't hear portable mic interviews so these are often of little value entertainment wise unless the sound quality is very good.

When I started watching speedway (1955, age eight months) and through the 60s and 70s the tractor came onto the track as the riders left. It did two laps and left the track as the riders came out for the next race. While that was happening about twenty rakers were busy pulling the shale back towards the inside line and away from the fence which meant the tractor had shale to move around. The racing was never delayed by track grades but the racing surface was well looked after.

Then we got health and safety saying that no riders or staff could be on the track while the tractors were and the tractor had to be in the pits not on the centre green. Add to that the near total absence of rakers and we end up with lots of delays for tractor racing while the track is not maintained as well as it used to be. 

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 3

I've said it before, it's easier than ever to have fan involvement with the "free" technology we have these days yet many tracks do absolutely nothing or very little during a meeting. Tracks should have an online presenter during a meeting on Facebook live (or similar) giving rider interviews and coverage from the pits and other interaction with fan polls, competitions and opinion etc.

At Leicester all we get is the offer of a signed programme board if we make an Insta post and that's more than most do! Until Speedway is brought dragging and kicking into the 2020's it'll continue to be "happy 90th birthday to Elsie" and centre green presenters having one way "conversations" with the crowd while the tractors are endlessly drone around the track.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've said it before, it's easier than ever to have fan involvement with the "free" technology we have these days yet many tracks do absolutely nothing or very little during a meeting. Tracks should have an online presenter during a meeting on Facebook live (or similar) giving rider interviews and coverage from the pits and other interaction with fan polls, competitions and opinion etc.

At Leicester all we get is the offer of a signed programme board if we make an Insta post and that's more than most do! Until Speedway is brought dragging and kicking into the 2020's it'll continue to be "happy 90th birthday to Elsie" and centre green presenters having one way "conversations" with the crowd while the tractors are endlessly drone around the track.

Well put

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chris116 said:

When I started watching speedway (1955, age eight months) and through the 60s and 70s the tractor came onto the track as the riders left. It did two laps and left the track as the riders came out for the next race. While that was happening about twenty rakers were busy pulling the shale back towards the inside line and away from the fence which meant the tractor had shale to move around. The racing was never delayed by track grades but the racing surface was well looked after.

Then we got health and safety saying that no riders or staff could be on the track while the tractors were and the tractor had to be in the pits not on the centre green. Add to that the near total absence of rakers and we end up with lots of delays for tractor racing while the track is not maintained as well as it used to be. 

Spot on Sir!

I did many years track prep at Cleveland Park (Middlesbrough) under Tony Swales in the late 70's. We'd start watering the track with hosepipes at about 2 in the afternoon (whatever the weather) whilst continually tyre packing - tractors and Tony's huge mobile home. I'd then be one of the rakers during the meeting (we only ever had 6 at Middlesbrough) pulling the sh(ale) back into the centre for the tractor to distribute wherever, after every heat without disturbing the flow of the meeting.

Though maybe now at my age I should be thankful for the 'toilet breaks' after every 4 heats.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Just the one?? LOL :drink:

22 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Just the one?? LOL :drink:

Well since you ask . The tractor racing is actually a very important function during a speedway meeting . They appear at the end of every four heats , well it takes around four heats to savour a pint in its entirety.  Ok if there is a couple of reruns one might have to go thirsty for a few minutes .

But Ted the tractor man strutting his stuff every four heats gives me just enough time to go for a refill 

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2024 at 4:30 AM, lbw said:

Riders and officials being interviewed is one idea but I do wonder why they bother when they do do this as u can't hear what they are saying most of the time. 

I do remember Long Eaton had the animals from the local circus appearing during an interval once, good old Steve Johnston going round the track on the back of a camel. Ermmm yep that kinda wouldn't happen these days. Also remember bike stunts being performed.

Think most things are difficult to do during the tractor breaks as they can happen without notice. And of course intervals can be curtailed if the weather is against things.

Glasgow have a great idea involving the kids race on the back straight which keeps people's interest.

Think the most important thing is engaging with the kids in the breaks as us 'oldies' seem used to seeing which tractor wins. 

Maybe something which can be interactive with mobile phones/tablets but I guess it comes down to cost.

Ermmmmm, not sure I've helped any.

I think I'd rather watch the tractors going round and round than listen to some of the riders trying to string an interesting sentence together. 

3 hours ago, scunny1 said:

You would be sober at the EWR then, as we let the track develop and only grade during a track watering:D Saves Rob on fuel bills too!

Oh I know , it was nearly a dust off when we were there a few weeks back , I had to leave bend one and retire to the bar 

8 hours ago, Paulco said:

I go and get a pint when the tractor racing comes on 

3 hours ago, scunny1 said:

You would be sober at the EWR then, as we let the track develop and only grade during a track watering:D Saves Rob on fuel bills too!

You'd be drunk at Poole then! As one forum member said on Weds night "if you were a newbie you would think the tractor racing is the main event...." :D

This "tractor racing " nonsense actually made me pack up attending speedway meetings. Standing on the grassy bank on the back straight at Lakeside watching the tractor and the water cart do endless bloody laps every 4 heats drove me away. You get fed up counting the planes into London City airport after heat 4  coz it starts to get dark. Listening to the inane converation asking riders " hows the track tonight" or "bet you were glad to win your first race" drivel did NOT help. 

How the modern supporters stand it .. well it seems they have been driven to drink. :-)  

16 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Do none of you have anyone to talk to for 5 minutes.

Not since my dad died, for the last 6 years I've been a solo attendee