British Speedway Forum

Oxford v Birmingham Thursday 1st August PL

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Good meeting to watch.. Poole boys in good form. Thought Brum were the better team all night but the dive from Riss when turning left on Brennan who was through won it for Oxford. Lindgren should have done better in 15 though. Didn’t think the crowd was big. Normally  more when Poole visit.

Thought this was Oxford v Birmingham.Always have to give Poole a mention,and how good things are there.They must go and race in the Polish league as Poole must have outgrown the British leagues by now.:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Lindgren disappoints again.

He should be winning heat 15.

If Birmingham had signed Laguta instead of Lindgren, they would be challenging for the play-offs.

Laguta averaged 7.93 in the UK in 2023. Hardly the form of a supposed "world champion" is it. That's when he could be bothered turning up.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

But his scores had fallen (for Birmingham), so that was my suggestion to remedy the situation. Perhaps not needed after a good performance tonight.

There's still a part of me that thinks Pawlicki should be at 5 as a former GP rider. Plus I think Brennan & Cook would work well together.

Trouble is Pawlicki is not the same rider anymore, I think he would struggle at 5. Not sure Cook and Brennan together would be a benefit, as for Oxford they need to drop a reserve and get a better rider in,  two Championship reserves riding in the Premiership.

5 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Trouble is Pawlicki is not the same rider anymore, I think he would struggle at 5. Not sure Cook and Brennan together would be a benefit, as for Oxford they need to drop a reserve and get a better rider in,  two Championship reserves riding in the Premiership.

Well firstly Boughen isn't a Championship reserve anymore. Secondly Oxford chose this team, they could've had stronger reserves, but decided to weaken their team 4 times!

I don't see Schroeck saying "I got it wrong" & dropping a reserve now.

7 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Too late now unfortunately. Which is probably a good thing - stops Jody Scott coming in to replace Rohan Tungate.

• Like 2

A really good meeting. Had Oxford to win but Birmingham pushed. The way Birmingham set up their 1-7 is possibly what they should stick to now until end of season. Bomber doing his thing ready for the play offs! Good to see Magic and Freddie going at it in Heat 15. I’m pleased to see Magic doing well hope his back next year in British speedway as I think he will be much improved in the UK

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Well firstly Boughen isn't a Championship reserve anymore. Secondly Oxford chose this team, they could've had stronger reserves, but decided to weaken their team 4 times!

I don't see Schroeck saying "I got it wrong" & dropping a reserve now.

Yes they should have kept Klindt, even injured they could get a decent guest in.

15 hours ago, foreverblue said:

If Laguta had signed for Birmingham he would only have turned up twice possibly only once! 

He makes KK look good in the UK. Best just ignore the troll. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Lindgren disappoints again.

He should be winning heat 15.

If Birmingham had signed Laguta instead of Lindgren, they would be challenging for the play-offs.

Exactly.  No point Birmingham throwing their toys out of the pram.  They lost the meeting because their number 1 choked when the pressure was on.  They got what they deserved 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just seen heat 15, was a terrible decision from the referee, just as bad as the PHB exclusion in the SON2.

Just encourages riders to lay it down if a rider goes close enough to brush against them, thankfully shouldn't ever be as bad as Premiership footballers diving as falling off bikes is more dangerous, but I've seen plenty of falls when the rider could clearly have stayed on.

Just caught up with this last night and I've got to say what an absolutely brilliant advert for British Speedway!

Two full teams, no R/R, no guests, great racing, all riders showing total commitment, a great race track, a bit of controversy, a close scoreline all night and beautiful summer weather. I hope it was good to watch live as it was on BSN. FWIW I thought Riss saw Brennan coming in the final heat and made an early turn to cut back up the inside of him as he would have gone wide but his leg was caught by Brennan so as a neutral I can see how it could have gone either way with the ambiguous "cause of the stoppage" rule. Pawlicki's attempt at team riding in heat 12 was also noteworthy, he seemed to want to push MPT into the path of Magic as he could see they were both going to be passed, I don't think MPT appreciated it though, clearly shaking his head after the incident!

... The trouble is though with this being a great advert for British Speedway, it was very much the exception to the rule. If more meetings followed this blue print I don't think the sport would have the problems it does, I know it's difficult with rider injuries etc but this is the standard of Speedway match that needs to be attained.

When I attend a Speedway match and I see dust coming from the track in heat 1 my heart often sinks as I realise we're going to be in for a night of gate and go follow the leader Speedway... but for some reason not at Oxford, every time I've been since the re-opening (4 or 5 times) the track has always been like this and it's produced some great action. From what I've seen on my travels and watching on BSN it regularly produces the best action of the "British" style tracks.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

Just caught up with this last night and I've got to say what an absolutely brilliant advert for British Speedway!

Two full teams, no R/R, no guests, great racing, all riders showing total commitment, a great race track, a bit of controversy, a close scoreline all night and beautiful summer weather. I hope it was good to watch live as it was on BSN. FWIW I thought Riss saw Brennan coming in the final heat and made an early turn to cut back up the inside of him as he would have gone wide but his leg was caught by Brennan so as a neutral I can see how it could have gone either way with the ambiguous "cause of the stoppage" rule. Pawlicki's attempt at team riding in heat 12 was also noteworthy, he seemed to want to push MPT into the path of Magic as he could see they were both going to be passed, I don't think MPT appreciated it though, clearly shaking his head after the incident!

... The trouble is though with this being a great advert for British Speedway, it was very much the exception to the rule. If more meetings followed this blue print I don't think the sport would have the problems it does, I know it's difficult with rider injuries etc but this is the standard of Speedway match that needs to be attained.

When I attend a Speedway match and I see dust coming from the track in heat 1 my heart often sinks as I realise we're going to be in for a night of gate and go follow the leader Speedway... but for some reason not at Oxford, every time I've been since the re-opening (4 or 5 times) the track has always been like this and it's produced some great action. From what I've seen on my travels and watching on BSN it regularly produces the best action of the "British" style tracks.

Oxford has always been a good racetrack before it closed and now. Seen some terrific meetings there. As for Riss he had to do it for the team, otherwise he would have been passed, it was a gamble that paid off. Janowski on the other hand was given no room by Freddie and brushed the fence although not sure if  they touched, great ride from him and good to see him riding well again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

I watched the bsn replay of ht15, it was purely horrific from riss and the ref was gullible enough to stand for it .

No different to what pawlicki did earlier in season against kurtz in heat 15 against Aces at Birmingham 

22 hours ago, R87 said:

Exactly.  No point Birmingham throwing their toys out of the pram.  They lost the meeting because their number 1 choked when the pressure was on.  They got what they deserved 

Laguta for Lindgren .No chance they would have mad the play offs ..11+ 1 what more do u want ...

Most people seem to agree that the referee made the wrong call in heat 15 - but the referee makes the decisions and these decisions have to be final - that's the way it is, and always has to be, and these things do usually even themselves out over a period, so I wouldn't pillory the referee over this one.

On the plus side, everyone also seems to agree that this was a cracking meeting and that both sets of riders put everything into making it so - and that's good for speedway.

As a long time Birmingham supporter, I'd like to have been there, but I'm pleased to know that those who did go, saw such an enjoyable contest.

• Like 2