British Speedway Forum

Latvian GP Riga Saturday 7th September

Successful riders have a certain stubbornness about them and this can clash when another rider as successful joins his team,I can remember being in the changing room before a meeting for wolves, Pete adams was there doing his thing with Sam Ermolenko as captain and Neil Evitts was there at the end of his career and wasn’t scoring very well,  Pete and Sam were trying to help Neil but it felt like Neil was” I don’t need you 2 telling me how to ride I was British champion” he didn’t say it but that’s how it felt, you could sense the stubbornness in the room and that can be how it is with some riders especially if they are head strong, I also believe this is why some riders thrive in England but don’t in Poland, the mentality is more imposing in Poland 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

19 hours ago, chunky said:

I got Billy Bales' autograph at Plough Lane in 1969.

Remember getting a pair of goggles off him at Sheffield when us kids would be hanging round watching the riders load the bikes onto the back of their cars 

Just watching the polish playoffs, noticed one of the mechanics had a Riga wrist band on from last night, I bet he hasn’t been to bed yet, it’s roughly a 10 hour drive from riga to Toruń and he got to clean and prep the bikes then before turning up at the track, it’s tough at the top but even tougher for the spannermen 

• Like 4

There's lies, damned lies and statistics, just for a bit of "fun" I've looked back at this seasons GP's when it comes to the "sudden death" semis and finals, pick the bones out of this:

1st 2nd 3rd 4th
Gate 1 10 6 6 5
Gate 2 12 4 5 6
Gate 3 2 5 7 12
Gate 4 3 12 9 4

I think the clear message is don't pick gate 3!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, iainb said:

There's lies, damned lies and statistics, just for a bit of "fun" I've looked back at this seasons GP's when it comes to the "sudden death" semis and finals, pick the bones out of this:

1st 2nd 3rd 4th
Gate 1 10 6 6 5
Gate 2 12 4 5 6
Gate 3 2 5 7 12
Gate 4 3 12 9 4

I think the clear message is don't pick gate 3!

So with that gate 2 is the one to pick but last night nobody wanted it and it won 

46 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

So with that gate 2 is the one to pick but last night nobody wanted it and it won 

Shows you that there's a lack of experienced heads in the pits perhaps. It may be easy to get caught up with what's happening on the night for a rider and they may see that a certain gate is more favourable through the meeting but it tends to be a different story when it comes to crunch time. Obviously if a particular gate has been head and shoulders above any other you'd be a fool not to pick it but if they've all been fairly equal the percentages suggest you pick an inside gate.

Edited by iainb

8 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Successful riders have a certain stubbornness about them and this can clash when another rider as successful joins his team,I can remember being in the changing room before a meeting for wolves, Pete adams was there doing his thing with Sam Ermolenko as captain and Neil Evitts was there at the end of his career and wasn’t scoring very well,  Pete and Sam were trying to help Neil but it felt like Neil was” I don’t need you 2 telling me how to ride I was British champion” he didn’t say it but that’s how it felt, you could sense the stubbornness in the room and that can be how it is with some riders especially if they are head strong, I also believe this is why some riders thrive in England but don’t in Poland, the mentality is more imposing in Poland 

Funny you should say that...

I had a very long time in professional sport, and met with a lot of success at the top level over the years. As good - and experienced - as I was, I was never afraid to learn; I WANTED to continue learning.

Much of the stuff you are told from outside sources isn't really going to be a huge help, but some is - particularly when it comes to the mental aspect.

10 hours ago, iainb said:

Shows you that there's a lack of experienced heads in the pits perhaps. It may be easy to get caught up with what's happening on the night for a rider and they may see that a certain gate is more favourable through the meeting but it tends to be a different story when it comes to crunch time. Obviously if a particular gate has been head and shoulders above any other you'd be a fool not to pick it but if they've all been fairly equal the percentages suggest you pick an inside gate.

They maybe should have random draw for gate positions in semi’s and Final and the riders would just have to get on with it.Saves them Overthinking it in some cases.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

They maybe should have random draw for gate positions in semi’s and Final and the riders would just have to get on with it.Saves them Overthinking it in some cases.

Isn't the carrot of gate choice what keeps them trying to score more than 8 or 9 points though. The mental and strategic side of things is often what separates a sportsperson from a great sportsperson. Zmarzlik doesn't very often choose the wrong gate which is why he's always in the finals. 

Edited by iainb

19 hours ago, iainb said:

The inside gate has limitations, you need to make the best start of all or at least be level, otherwise you are clamped and your options become zero, 2 can be the same by getting squeezed by 1 and 3 but 3 and 4 give you the most options of all and the wider the entry to the first corner the better those options become 

9 hours ago, iainb said:

Isn't the carrot of gate choice what keeps them trying to score more than 8 or 9 points though. The mental and strategic side of things is often what separates a sportsperson from a great sportsperson. Zmarzlik doesn't very often choose the wrong gate which is why he's always in the finals. 

Zmarzlik is mentally stronger than most as Sat showed ,no gate pick  2 wins when it mattered.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched it on catch up

There are only two riders serious contenders, Freddy and Bartoz, the rest being also rans 

Freddy can't catch Bartoz so he's won it all ready.

Grand Prix crowds continue to diminish and will continue to do so through lack of interest in foregone conclusions. 

48 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Zmarzlik is mentally stronger than most as Sat showed ,no gate pick  2 wins when it mattered.

He didn't have to choose on Saturday he was gifted an inside gate

8 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Your starting to contradict yourself you were saying How kelvin and Chris were right about taking Gate1.Now it’s an inside gate🤔😂

It is an inside gate, the stats back that up. Lambert picked statistically the worst gate in the series, the one that most riders refer to as a graveyard at any track. The numbers show gate 1 or 2 I hadn't looked those up at that point... it's not about getting it right or wrong it's about giving yourself the best chance, Zmarzlik obviously couldn't because he had no choice

Edited by iainb

I am sure Louis touched on the point of taking the inside gates in a Final and not offering the inside gate to Zmarzlik or Lindgren who are likely to make the most of the advantage.  Especially when the track is graded before  the Semi-Finals and Final which can take any advantage of Gate 4. Plus Gate 3 tends to be the Graveyard Gate. Hopefully Lambert is saving his Torun form for the last SGP.