British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe v Plymouth Double Header (2nd/3rd)

For me, the clear standout rider of the night was by far Luke Harrison. Tonight he was fast, hard and very aggressive and was also unlucky to miss out on a few extra points. Was a rocket from the gate!

Also, how on earth did Allen stop on the bike in heat 9?!?!?!?

Poor from Barker especially after saying that Scunny are a team of  "one track ponies" which is a fair comment based off our dodgy away result, but not a comment you should be making when you've scored 4 points, look far too overweight and are simply not at the pace.

Great night of fantastic racing with the score line not being a fair representation of the efforts from some of the Plymouth riders.

Edited by scorpion61
spelling
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, pauljb said:

What terraces at Plymouth? Little more than a track in a field 

Last time i went to Plymouth (2023) sat in a very comfortable new seat in a 400 seater grandstand on Home Straight just under Refs Box with a cracking view and had some top quality BBQ nosh too. 

Far superior to some old and delapidated Venues still going!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lewy said:

Did you watch any of the racing Mike0310?

Watched 3 heats this morning,great effort and rides by the Thompsons and Hook and more passes in 3 races and excellent racing than you'll see at some venues all season.

4 minutes ago, HGould said:

Last time i went to Plymouth (2023) sat in a very comfortable new seat in a 400 seater grandstand on Home Straight just under Refs Box with a cracking view and had some top quality BBQ nosh too. 

Far superior to some old and delapidated Venues still going!

I would rate the spectator facilities at Plymouth as good as, if not better, than the ones at Scunthorpe! The track is another matter!

• Like 1

Result aside, I think this season has shown that Barker is no longer up to it at this level, maybe as a reserve, but heat leader or even 2nd string he isn't. I've watched about half a dozen Plymouth matches this season (albeit from afar) and he looks a totally rider to that of a couple years ago. Both his equipment and himself showing serious signs of wear and tear. I hope if we're back at the tapes next season that the promotion go in a different direction, despite the family connection.

The Thompson's and Hook again proving to be the shining lights in an otherwise underwhelming 2024 team.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Result aside, I think this season has shown that Barker is no longer up to it at this level, maybe as a reserve, but heat leader or even 2nd string he isn't. I've watched about half a dozen Plymouth matches this season (albeit from afar) and he looks a totally rider to that of a couple years ago. Both his equipment and himself showing serious signs of wear and tear. I hope if we're back at the tapes next season that the promotion go in a different direction, despite the family connection.

The Thompson's and Hook again proving to be the shining lights in an otherwise underwhelming 2024 team.

That's a bit over the top, how many Championship reserves have 6.00 averages?

Now you could say he's no longer a heat leader & needs to be a second string. But in Plymouth's strength in depth side, that's not gonna happen (this year at least). He'd also still be a heat leader at Berwick & Redcar too!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 4

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed last night's meeting. Great crowd, beautiful weather and some excellent racing by two committed teams. Plenty of close, good and occasionally hard racing but a good, jovial atmosphere in the pits between both sides. Track was in good shape if not very dusty at the end but it has been a very warm week. A great advert for Championship speedway in my opinion.

Ben taking the law into his own hands was a first for me and I'm sure it'll be the last time we see that from him but he contributed to a great meeting with his 3 completed rides. He took some stick on here for Friday, personally thought that was the most comfortable he's looked on a bike all season last night

• Like 2

3 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

What happened to Barker? Did Allen get him back from Friday?

Allen went straight across barker in bend 1 after barker made gate. Mountain went up the inside and they were all side by side going into bend 3. Mountain nudges barker shedding his chain and wrecking his clutch, and then gesturing to the referees box. In rage and after seeing Scunthorpe on a clear 5-1 he parked his bike on the start in protest. And said he thought Joe Thompson deserved the race to be restarted as he had to shut off to not hit barker. Although he was far back before the incident.

As Albert said just before me, Barker should’ve been thrown out the meeting.

• Like 3