British Speedway Forum

Championship Pairs Oxford 16th August 2024

1 thing not been mentioned as far as I've seen 

Scot not shaking Charles hand afterwards and looked like a few dummy spitting words 

It was ref who made the call right or wrong 

And I'm sure Charles didn't crash on purpose  unless Scott did a great job of slowing race down im sure Redcar would have still won 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

1 thing not been mentioned as far as I've seen 

Scot not shaking Charles hand afterwards and looked like a few dummy spitting words 

It was ref who made the call right or wrong 

And I'm sure Charles didn't crash on purpose  unless Scott did a great job of slowing race down im sure Redcar would have still won 

I mentioned it earlier in Topic.Poor Sportsmanship from Scott.Went well down in my estimation after that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

So, you would award the title to Redcar, but at the same time deny punters the chance of seeing 21 heats - which they've paid for and, presumably, deny riders earning points money from that heat?

Referee made the call

You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time and like a lot on forum none !

Riders would no doubt be paid for positions in when referee awarded 

Edited by Catch Me If You Can

2 hours ago, Technik said:

Firstly I felt it was an excellent meeting, All ran in good time. There was dust but I felt the track was made slick & packed hard which made for a very fair track which produced more race lines as the event progressed. Holding on for the interval was a solid decision as the only other place would have been after Ht 9 & then a prolonged break after Ht18 for riders in the finals to chasnge tyres.

The grand final was what it was & now the debate of "Who shot John" rages on. The Referee was in a no win situation which ever rider he put out was right/wrong. did Nicholls stall in front of Wright? or did Wright run in the back of Nicholls?

My opinion for what it's worth! would be to look at the event & the difference from a normal league match. The scoring system is adjusted to 4 3 2 to cut out drawn races & encourage team riding with the only way to win is by both team members finishing in scoring positions. Given that knowledge Nicholls made a fair pass to move to second then attempted to slow the charge of Wright also fair to allow his partner Masters access on the inside to have his team in two scoring positions whilst the other Redcar rider Danny King left to ride to a hollow race win for his team to finish runner up.

The referee made his call & I was pleased he awarded the race & the title as a Re-Run was completely pointless with a rider missing from one of the pairs

For me, that was the deciding factor. Nicholls made a clean pass but because of his steering angle he was scrubbing off speed and therefore suddenly travelling slower than Wright, leaving him nowhere to go. 

• Like 7

I think all the comments on here support what the ref said afterwards (and top marks to him for showing his face and describing his thought process) There will be a % of people who see Nicholls at fault and a % who see it as Wright's fault, in the refs opinion that split was 60-40, or even 55-45 towards it being Scottie to blame. So you will get many arguing one way and another, but ultimately it's all irrelevant now, the result is history and Redcar won the Pairs.

The downside was the reaction at the presentation, if Scott had a grievance it was with the ref not Charles, who 100% did not not want a collision. It appeared petulant and like a real spoilt brat throwing the toys out of the pram!

Being a Bears fan, my view is possibly biased, so I'm not getting into the debate, but without doubt the title went to the correct team based on the running of the final, when you see where Masters was entering those bends, no way was he catching Wright, even if Nicholls had got passed and kept 2nd.

• Like 7

It's going to give the Semi Final of the KOC a little extra 'spice' on the 4th and 6th. On the incident, I think the ref got it right, Nichols locked up in front of Wright, leaving him nowhere to go. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

Referee made the call

You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time and like a lot on forum none !

Riders would no doubt be paid for positions in when referee awarded 

Riders do not get paid points money in these events, payment is on the pairs finishing position.

• Like 1

Congratulations to the Bears and especially Danny King who came to the party big style in the latter part of the meeting. Good to see them winning after coming up just short last season. 

Not great racing for me not helped by a poor performance from the Comets.

Charles Wright locked up and turned LEFT to try to go inside of Scott and ran into his back wheel. Scott did not fence Wright and if he wanted to could have carried on around Scott. I remember at Redcar last year when Charles shut off on bend 3 last lap and Steve Worrall was going for a gap that disappeared and Charles went down and Steve was excluded, exactly the same scenario but different decision .

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Charles Wright locked up and turned LEFT to try to go inside of Scott and ran into his back wheel. Scott did not fence Wright and if he wanted to could have carried on around Scott. I remember at Redcar last year when Charles shut off on bend 3 last lap and Steve Worrall was going for a gap that disappeared and Charles went down and Steve was excluded, exactly the same scenario but different decision .

IMO it was 50/50.Charles was going to run out of room if Scott hadn’t pulled a small locker to stop running really wide and Charles was already anticipating Scott running wide and turned back but Scott had slowed and he had nowhere too go.Personally think Scott ran him in too far for Charles too go round him.I appreciate the riders view but I’m not sure Rory would have seen it the way he did if Scott done that too him.Unfortunate end too meeting thoug.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 10:10 AM, StevePark said:

Genuine question.  Can you award a race after one completed lap?

No.

all riders must complete 2 laps. However if a rider falls on lap 2 & stays down & the remaining riders complete 2 laps then it is possible to award the result

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Technik said:

No.

all riders must complete 2 laps. However if a rider falls on lap 2 & stays down & the remaining riders complete 2 laps then it is possible to award the result

IMO the final should still have been rerun, doesn't matter which rider was excluded. Anything can happen in this sport, a fall or ef and its at least won on the track. 

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

IMO the final should still have been rerun, doesn't matter which rider was excluded. Anything can happen in this sport, a fall or ef and its at least won on the track. 

Would Charles been fit enough to though? Was holding his arm a lot. 

On 8/18/2024 at 4:36 PM, Technik said:

No.

No, that is not quite correct.

ONLY the race leader needs to have completed two laps for the referee to be able to award a race.

• Like 1

Watched live at the time and called it for Nicholls to be excluded. A desperate move and to be fair one which he had to make. And it didn’t pay off. Watched it back this morning and my thoughts are the same. Nicholls had to attempt to make a move as the pairs title was at stake. Do or die, win or bust. It was the latter.

Nicholls petulance afterwards shouldn’t have been aimed at Wright. It did show he cared about winning and was probably furious about the decision but needed to wind his neck in. Always liked Scott. Proper speedway rider who has lasted longer in the sport than many and can still mix it at the top end (of the Championship)

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Watched live at the time and called it for Nicholls to be excluded. A desperate move and to be fair one which he had to make. And it didn’t pay off. Watched it back this morning and my thoughts are the same. Nicholls had to attempt to make a move as the pairs title was at stake. Do or die, win or bust. It was the latter.

Nicholls petulance afterwards shouldn’t have been aimed at Wright. It did show he cared about winning and was probably furious about the decision but needed to wind his neck in. Always liked Scott. Proper speedway rider who has lasted longer in the sport than many and can still mix it at the top end (of the Championship)

If you did a bit of research of PL matches you'd find Mr Nicholls can still mix it up at that level too.

• Like 4