British Speedway Forum

Championship Pairs Oxford 16th August 2024

1 minute ago, geoff100 said:

Watching on facebook looks to me like charles turns into scotts back wheel,if your infront u didtate where u want to go!

Spot on! As long as you're riding fair, which Nicholls was

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

But Nicholls doesn't have to leave him room to do a cut back does he? Especially if there is still room on the outside, which there was and Wright would have known that having ridden there all season and seen the extremities of the track being used. And you know what thought did... and then he only thought he did. If he'd stuffed Wright into the fence, which he didn't then that would have been unfair riding, but there was still plenty of room on the outside as can be seen in the picture.

In my opinion there would not have been room on the outside after Scott had made the pass. 

2 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

In my opinion there would not have been room on the outside after Scott had made the pass. 

That's because you're used to watching your Speedway at Poole 😂😜

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

He tried to turn to avoid the crash .

He caused the crash by trying the cut back when was no room to do it. Nicholls was at the end of his turn and there was still room on the outside. I've only been to Oxford a couple of times this season but on both occasions I've seen riders giving it the big one round the fence where Wright chose not to ride. 

8 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

But that's not the rules! The rules allow Anders Rowe to appear. You disagree with the rules and I'm emphasising the potential outcome based on your, in my opinion,  illogical suggestion.

I have never disputed that's the rules. In your original post you eluded that the rules being ambiguous. All I am saying if they are, then they possibly need to be considered for change. Not an illogical suggestion, just my opinion on a public forum. 

49 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

The event becomes a lot less prestigious if the rules suddenly mean you have to put someone who is essentially a reserve in. May as well just tell them to not bother turning up.

No different to a league meeting, when one of your opposition heat leaders is unavailable for circumstances outside the rule book. Should they be allowed to replace him with a rider of a similar average? instead of having to use an unattached rider from the league below? that to weakens the field and becomes a lesser spectacle. (Just my opinion)

Firstly I felt it was an excellent meeting, All ran in good time. There was dust but I felt the track was made slick & packed hard which made for a very fair track which produced more race lines as the event progressed. Holding on for the interval was a solid decision as the only other place would have been after Ht 9 & then a prolonged break after Ht18 for riders in the finals to chasnge tyres.

The grand final was what it was & now the debate of "Who shot John" rages on. The Referee was in a no win situation which ever rider he put out was right/wrong. did Nicholls stall in front of Wright? or did Wright run in the back of Nicholls?

My opinion for what it's worth! would be to look at the event & the difference from a normal league match. The scoring system is adjusted to 4 3 2 to cut out drawn races & encourage team riding with the only way to win is by both team members finishing in scoring positions. Given that knowledge Nicholls made a fair pass to move to second then attempted to slow the charge of Wright also fair to allow his partner Masters access on the inside to have his team in two scoring positions whilst the other Redcar rider Danny King left to ride to a hollow race win for his team to finish runner up.

The referee made his call & I was pleased he awarded the race & the title as a Re-Run was completely pointless with a rider missing from one of the pairs

46 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

You can see Scott left him no room and way Scott passed him he would have thought Scott would end up quite near the fence so the obvious thing to do was cut back but Scott left him no room to do that.

I would agree with that.

• Like 3

As much as I admire Scott, I felt the decision was correct. Two riders giving it there all in the final.

Scott locked up slightly on the bend and it left Charles with nowhere to go.

Great shame that it ended as it did with the crash… I feel sure Scott could have got second… but then the result would likely be 6 - 3 to Redcar anyway.

There is bound to be a lot of people on both sides of the fence.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, magnus said:

I don't think its right that a team can sign a rider just weeks before a Championship event (or Premiership) and he gets preference over established team riders in a prestigious meeting. You would have thought they would have to ride in a minimum number of meetings (guest bookings do not count) as a signed on team member, (4/6 meetings home & away in total maybe??) before getting preference over riders who have turned out for their team week in, week out prior to the event. I know averages dictate who rides, but establish a minimum number of meetings to be considered for future events.. 

(Glasgow by the way and my opinion)

But Adam Roynon and Max Perry over last couple years appearing for teams they didn't represent that was ok? Leon was at Cardiff, Anders is in our 1-7 and has appeared in a competitive match in the 1-7. The only time the rules were changed for such an occasion was to stop screeny representing, you guessed it, Glasgow at the pairs. The meeting was clearly benefited by Anders riding in it. Pick up your petted lip on the way out

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Technik said:

Firstly I felt it was an excellent meeting, All ran in good time. There was dust but I felt the track was made slick & packed hard which made for a very fair track which produced more race lines as the event progressed. Holding on for the interval was a solid decision as the only other place would have been after Ht 9 & then a prolonged break after Ht18 for riders in the finals to chasnge tyres.

The grand final was what it was & now the debate of "Who shot John" rages on. The Referee was in a no win situation which ever rider he put out was right/wrong. did Nicholls stall in front of Wright? or did Wright run in the back of Nicholls?

My opinion for what it's worth! would be to look at the event & the difference from a normal league match. The scoring system is adjusted to 4 3 2 to cut out drawn races & encourage team riding with the only way to win is by both team members finishing in scoring positions. Given that knowledge Nicholls made a fair pass to move to second then attempted to slow the charge of Wright also fair to allow his partner Masters access on the inside to have his team in two scoring positions whilst the other Redcar rider Danny King left to ride to a hollow race win for his team to finish runner up.

The referee made his call & I was pleased he awarded the race & the title as a Re-Run was completely pointless with a rider missing from one of the pairs

So, you would award the title to Redcar, but at the same time deny punters the chance of seeing 21 heats - which they've paid for and, presumably, deny riders earning points money from that heat?

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, StevePark said:

So, you would award the title to Redcar, but at the same time deny punters the chance of seeing 21 heats - which they've paid for and, presumably, deny riders earning points money from that heat?

They would have been paid points money for the awarded race, or do you think they should be paid twice?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

But Adam Roynon and Max Perry over last couple years appearing for teams they didn't represent that was ok? Leon was at Cardiff, Anders is in our 1-7 and has appeared in a competitive match in the 1-7. The only time the rules were changed for such an occasion was to stop screeny representing, you guessed it, Glasgow at the pairs. The meeting was clearly benefited by Anders riding in it. Pick up your petted lip on the way out

🤣🤣 Put your dummy back in. I only gave my opinion and I would have said the same regardless of which ever team it may have been.  

1 minute ago, magnus said:

🤣🤣 Put your dummy back in. I only gave my opinion and I would have said the same regardless of which ever team it may have been.  

Only one person on here spat the dummy my friend 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

They would have been paid points money for the awarded race, or do you think they should be paid twice?

Genuine question.  Can you award a race after one completed lap?