British Speedway Forum

Workington Comets vs Poole Pirates 27th July

Posted (edited)

Dust was definitely an issue in the stand on bend 1. Not sure what the cleaners will think of me brown towel ! :D

I sit on the straight at Poole so not affected by any dust that kicks up there.

Dunno, part of the sport I guess which is difficult to control on a warm breezy afternoon. Flying shale & dust is kinda common place on the bends.

Edited by lbw
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

But the incident with Cook didnt happen on the FIRST BEND did it !  It happened mid way between the 1st and 2nd bends. If it had happened going in to the FIRST BEND then the ref can use his discretion. Once the riders are them progressing to the 2nd bend, he cant use the "1st bend bunching" rule !

Also where did you see all this "billowing dust" ???  I havent missed a meeting there all season, and believe you me, you can hardly say there was ANY dust today !

The incident happened exiting the first bend, could be seen as a harsh exclusion, a lot of refs would have put all four back. 

Just been thinking about our reserves pairing. Do you see anyone signing them up in the champ next season? I can't see Sam nor celina getting snapped up by anyone purely based on their ability and scoring this season.

• Like 2

I think before the season I would of preferred evening meetings but not now.

The amount of families/kids and younger people attending is noticeably higher than any other track I’ve ever attended. 100% believe this is due to afternoon racing and the crowd levels would not be the same in the evening.

Must have been at least 3x as many people there yesterday than what was at our recent away meetings at Scunthorpe and Edinburgh. I remember commenting at Edinburgh there weren’t any kids in sight!

I will take that over a bit of extra dust, which I think Steve does well to control.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Marksman said:

The amount of families/kids and younger people attending is noticeably higher than any other track I’ve ever attended. 100% believe this is due to afternoon racing and the crowd levels would not be the same in the evening.

Must have been at least 3x as many people there yesterday than what was at our recent away meetings at Scunthorpe and Edinburgh. I remember commenting at Edinburgh there weren’t any kids in sight!

I will take that over a bit of extra dust, which I think Steve does well to control.

I actually thought the crowd was down a little

As for dust 

weve had a lot worse 

On 7/23/2024 at 8:29 AM, lbw said:

Workington will be hoping that there are no bugs in the system that plagued them last week as they will need to be at full strength, get well soon Tate,  as the Pirates are in town.

Don't think any of the Pirates have ridden  Northside and it's my understanding that even Richard Lawson hasn't had a skid around there.

This could prove to be a bit of a leveller as Craig Cook, Troy Batcherlor and co have had plenty of laps to get to know the best lines and set ups.

I'm personally very impressed with the set up at Northside having visited there once last season.

Looking forward to this first ever clash between these 2 sides at the new venue.

Crowds maybe be not as good in the evenings when children are at school but during the summer holiday period it shouldnt make much difference. 

It’s good to see so many Kids and young people attending they are the future customer base.

Glasgow have been promoting this for years Roary, kids races etc.

Friday night against Poole was the largest amount of kids I have seen take part in the kids race and it’s great too see so many enjoying themselves.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gazc said:

It’s good to see so many Kids and young people attending they are the future customer base.

Glasgow have been promoting this for years Roary, kids races etc.

Friday night against Poole was the largest amount of kids I have seen take part in the kids race and it’s great too see so many enjoying themselves.

I think the kids races at Glasgow are a great idea and there are always plenty of participants whenever we are there. I personally think it's something Worky should introduce now the centre green is getting established.

32 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

I think the kids races at Glasgow are a great idea and there are always plenty of participants whenever we are there. I personally think it's something Worky should introduce now the centre green is getting established.

Only problem you are too old to enter :D

As all the people who are complaining about the dust are Poole fans, which after watching speedway at wimboard Road, they do not see effects of shale changing depending on the weather, poor track with a blue groove equals no dust 

10 hours ago, Woke23 said:

Just been thinking about our reserves pairing. Do you see anyone signing them up in the champ next season? I can't see Sam nor celina getting snapped up by anyone purely based on their ability and scoring this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were both back at Workington next season. My logic being there no point in keeping struggling riders unless you think they'll improve in the future?

Basically the only reason not to drop them this year is to benefit next year, to me it would be ludicrous to keep them all year, virtually ruin any chance of winning trophies, but then not re-sign them.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

What are the estimated crowd levels at Worky was earlier in the season looked decent have they held up?

I personally dont think the crowds are as high as riding in the championship needs them to be, for it to be sustainable. 

But one thing is for sure, the crowds at the Poole meeting yesterday were MUCH higher than of late !  Even better that those at the Ben Fund Meeting in my opinion !

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marksman said:

Kids are allowed in free with a paying adult during the school holidays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigdave said:

Kids are allowed in free with a paying adult during the school holidays.

But even before the summer promotion of kids go free, they were a lot of younger fans at the speedway,  and I too have noticed, bar at Glasgow,  not many kids attended the speedway,  and I travel a lot to watch the sport

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Neila said:

But even before the summer promotion of kids go free, they were a lot of younger fans at the speedway,  and I too have noticed, bar at Glasgow,  not many kids attended the speedway,  and I travel a lot to watch the sport

Lots of kids at Poole & Leicester. Tom Spencer & partner bring the baby ;)

Edited by lbw