British Speedway Forum

Glasgow Tigers vs Poole Pirates 26th July

Glasgow were head and shoulders above most others pre Covid. 

Did streaming, a lot of social media and marketing and an excellent documentary film (I think it was called Into the Red?). 

They had a young lad (Patrick?) who I think I read g it head hunted by one of the big footy Clubs. 

Since Covid they seem to have invested less in media, I suppose even Glasgow have to watch costs. 

A few other Championship Clubs pre Covid in 2019 spent a lot on media and social media.. Edinburgh, Newcastle, Somerset, Eastbourne but it can cost a lot more than it can ever recoup. 

There is always the nagging fear that if you make something too easy to watch from the armchair you can cut off your future commercial footfall. 

• Like 1

But it is unfortunate that it wasn't filmed because you wouldn't see a better meeting anywhere than what was served up last night . 

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised we took it to a last heat decider because going to the track I feared the worst for us , but we battled well . 

Yes the changes haven't improved us any , and I don't think we will make the play offs now , but we have a track which probably produces the most exciting racing in the country , that will do for me . 

And I dont see how anyone can stop that Pirates side winning everything this season and credit to them , they seem to get their team building spot on every winter .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paulco said:

But it is unfortunate that it wasn't filmed because you wouldn't see a better meeting anywhere than what was served up last night . 

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised we took it to a last heat decider because going to the track I feared the worst for us , but we battled well . 

Yes the changes haven't improved us any , and I don't think we will make the play offs now , but we have a track which probably produces the most exciting racing in the country , that will do for me . 

And I dont see how anyone can stop that Pirates side winning everything this season and credit to them , they seem to get their team building spot on every winter .

The thing is if we don’t make the playoffs which doesn’t look likely then the season is done end of August.

So it really doesn’t matter how good the racing and entertainment is if there is no meetings on it before September even begins.

There needs to be a reset next season with huge gaps in home meetings and very few meetings in general.

• Like 5

I wonder if we don't make the play offs if there will be an effort to bring back the ashfield classic or some kind of international challenge match. Be disappointed to have to go August to April with no speedway

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HGould said:

Did streaming, a lot of social media and marketing and an excellent documentary film (I think it was called Into the Red?). 

They had a young lad (Patrick?) who I think I read g it head hunted by one of the big footy Clubs. 

Since Covid they seem to have invested less in media, I suppose even Glasgow have to watch costs. 

A few other Championship Clubs pre Covid in 2019 spent a lot on media and social media.. Edinburgh, Newcastle, Somerset, Eastbourne but it can cost a lot more than it can ever recoup. 

There is always the nagging fear that if you make something too easy to watch from the armchair you can cut off your future commercial footfall. 

The guy that used to do the media was excellent, but I believe he now does it for Celtic

15 minutes ago, Gazc said:

The thing is if we don’t make the playoffs which doesn’t look likely then the season is done end of August.

So it really doesn’t matter how good the racing and entertainment is if there is no meetings on it before September even begins.

There needs to be a reset next season with huge gaps in home meetings and very few meetings in general.

Depends on the league structure next season,  but If its the same then it has to be two home and two away 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

We'll have another chance on Wednesday!!!

Thats highly unlikely at Wimborne to be fair. Its passing rather than speed that makes the sport exciting and Poole doesn't exactly serve it up even for the best of riders.

1 minute ago, MD said:

Thats highly unlikely at Wimborne to be fair. Its passing rather than speed that makes the sport exciting and Poole doesn't exactly serve it up even for the best of riders.

Bomber's had some cracking races at Wimborne Road, both for and against the Pirates - all of them available via TV, You tube or stream.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Depends on the league structure next season,  but If its the same then it has to be two home and two away 

Definitely but dont hold your breath for more of the same in 2025.

13 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Bomber's had some cracking races at Wimborne Road, both for and against the Pirates - all of them available via TV, You tube or stream.

Back in the day yes, but in the modern era?

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

2018 modern enough?

Yeah that right there was the reason me and many other Glasgow fans initially didn't want harris back! The day before I believe he'd scored 6 or 7 in our play off match. Then to see him perform like that the following night was pretty galling!!

3 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Yeah that right there was the reason me and many other Glasgow fans initially didn't want harris back! The day before I believe he'd scored 6 or 7 in our play off match. Then to see him perform like that the following night was pretty galling!!

Ah ok! And our track was a bit bumpy in those days too! ;) When anyone mentions Bomber's races at Poole, that is the first one that comes to mind! 

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Patrick Rooney was the excellent producer of the film In the Red all of the social media was looked after by Robert McKenzie who now works for Celtic Football Club. 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Harris v Doyle comes to mind 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Ah ok! And our track was a bit bumpy in those days too! ;) When anyone mentions Bomber's races at Poole, that is the first one that comes to mind! 

Not if you are a Bees fan, it isn't. 2010! Man of Steel is the one we always remember!

• Like 1