British Speedway Forum

Excluded for dangerous riding rule - Holder pass on Lampart on TV 22/07

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I would like the referees to really ask themselves, "could they have stayed on" rather than "was there contact".

But then you have to bring an individual riders ability into the equation. A rule should cover all riders no matter the ability. Look at Sam McGurk who can quite easily fall off on his own vs (I was trying to think of a specific rider but couldn't) anybody else (😂)

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I think there is a call for referees to make decisions based on how hard a rider moves over / hits another rider, rather than if the opposition falls off.

It seems a rider can be incredibly hard, but as long as his opponent stays on - nothing is done. But someone gets lightly brushed (i.e Riss against Birmingham) and falls they get in the re-run.

I would like the referees to really ask themselves, "could they have stayed on" rather than "was there contact".

Then the reverse for over the top hard racing, if a referee thinks"if rider A fell I'd have excluded rider B" then should rider B not be excluded, even if rider A just managed to stay on?

In Poland it is noticeable how much more often someone who gets "nudged", and goes down, gets excluded...

Kubera on Sunday an example where he definitely was contacted but still had plenty of room to "ride out" the issue, but went down, as, quite probably, he wasn't going to score..

Over here if seems the rider making contact goes (especially during the race after the first two turns)...

Poland seem to have a view that if you leave a gap then someone can fill it and at the last second if you "close the door" and go down it is "your fault"....

Certainly makes for closer, harder, (better), racing...

Another issue is the so-called "first bend bunching" with referees seemingly under a bit of pressure to restart races with the oft expressed view that "supporters want to watch four man races." That's fair enough on the face of it, but supporters don't want to watch repeated re-starts either, and this season especially, I have observed more and more instances of a rider missing the gate and then either gracefully sliding to earth on the first bend or creating a minor collision with another riders (sometimes his team mate!) so I'd suggest that if this is to become a situation which is abused by the riders, the rule-makers need to think very carefully before introducing and kind of "first bend bunching" regulation.