British Speedway Forum

Birmingham v Sheffield - 22nd July

With all the guesting that goes on (which I think is bizarre another rider helping another side competing in the league) why are teams still made up of 7 riders? Would decreasing it to 6 not help with the numbers available when team building and covering long term injuries? Don’t they have smaller teams in Denmark?

• Like 1

Historically Birmingham has never been a major spedway town. On and off throughout the years. But given the closure of nearby Cradley Heath and Wolverhampton, not to mention Coventry you would  think that some of those supporters might have migrated to support the away sides visiting Birmingham :-)

1 minute ago, JoeW436 said:

With all the guesting that goes on (which I think is bizarre another rider helping another side competing in the league) why are teams still made up of 7 riders? Would decreasing it to 6 not help with the numbers available when team building and covering long term injuries? Don’t they have smaller teams in Denmark?

There are things that could be done...

Eg fewer riders per team, and/or a fit for purpose RR facility, being two that leap out as very doable..

The reality though is that guests are an easy answer to get "any speedway" on, hence meetings without them are now the rarity...

Hence, not many watching take things too seriously...

5 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Historically Birmingham has never been a major spedway town. On and off throughout the years. But given the closure of nearby Cradley Heath and Wolverhampton, not to mention Coventry you would  think that some of those supporters might have migrated to support the away sides visiting Birmingham :-)

Birmingham crowd wise are a "natural" NDL or Championship side

500 to 600 crowds might just get them competitive in the Championship...

But would be "very decent" in the NDL...

Definitely down to their die hards, so might as well try and run NDL on Mondays, with those in charge of UK Speedway recognising the need to keep tracks going so they allow them to...

4 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

What a dust bowl…..watching this tonight you can kind of see why this sport is dying on its arse 

Blimey,you couldn't have gone when it was big in this country.It felt like every week you would go home with your hair feeling like straw and your bath full of muck when you took a shower.Those were the days:D

15 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Nice to see Max tonight helping Sheffield into the play offs...

The fans of Leicester must be delighted for the Tigers...:D

I love watching him at full tilt anywhere, but with a Tiggers bib on it does stick in my throat somewhat!

I do think guests take away from the sport massively. Nobody I've ever tried to get interested can understand it. Can just about get away with doubling up but guests in a team sport?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

What a dust bowl…..watching this tonight you can kind of see why this sport is dying on its arse 

Watering now it appears, trouble is they have lost the track now, needed doing after heat 4

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Blimey,you couldn't have gone when it was big in this country.It felt like every week you would go home with your hair feeling like straw and your bath full of muck when you took a shower.Those were the days:D

But in those days you had a fair few people in front of you to take the most impact..:D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

There are things that could be done...

Eg fewer riders per team, and/or a fit for purpose RR facility, being two that leap out as very doable..

The reality though is that guests are an easy answer to get "any speedway" on, hence meetings without them are now the rarity...

Hence, not many watching take things too seriously...

The sport lost the best opportunity ever for change and reinventing itself after the pandemic but it decided the same old thing and it now is reflecting the inept attitude of those who run it the sport. It has nothing to do with those who have the money to invest and would I put my money where my mouth is,  no way given the cartel of hobbiest who run clubs and until it stops pretending to be something it no longer is, it will continue on a downward spiral under the current regime. It can be a great sport but not run the way it is today. Even listening to the commentary on the broadcast shows the heart is not in it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

I love watching him at full tilt anywhere, but with a Tiggers bib on it does stick in my throat somewhat!

I do think guests take away from the sport massively. Nobody I've ever tried to get interested can understand it. Can just about get away with doubling up but guests in a team sport?

And yet promoters will still expect their own fans to fork out several hundred quid a season knowing that their own No1 could help another team to a better season than his own ends up with..

A rider could quite conceivably ride himself out of the play offs...:D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

But in those days you had a fair few people in front of you to take the most impact..:D

I took most impact though,being 5ft 3 I had to take it or see nothing at all:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

And yet promoters will still expect their own fans to fork out several hundred quid a season knowing that their own No1 could help another team to a better season than his own ends up with..

A rider could quite conceivably ride himself out of the play offs...:D

Hardly anything  new .. Speedway even in its glory years had guests and was  massive .. Rules changing is unlikely to have any effect on bigger crowds  The bottom line is speedway is just a sport like many others is just never going to be popular anymore in the Uk .. 

RR and 6 rider teams wont bring anyone back