British Speedway Forum

Oxford v Aces

17 hours ago, Debbi said:

Having been in the stadium since 5:30 Jamie Courtney (Promoter and track man) had been working on the track the whole time. If he watered to much it would be wrong no water at all and it would be a dust bowl that would have been wrong. I notice it hasn’t been mentioned that before heat 15 Jamie got on the mic to apologise for the issues with the track - how many do that?

It was obvious that there were two Belle Vue riders who didn’t want to race the track, to have two new track records set in the same (one Oxford and one Belle Vue) meeting on such a dangerous and unridable track. Also if it was so bad why was it signed off as fit by the SCB ref in the first place? 

Most riders should be able to attack a track should it be grippy or smooth, but this generation seem to expect a nice smooth car park to ride on. Do you think this happens in other countries the complainants would have been told to take a walk.

All valid comments, and what goes on behind the scenes is something we will never appreciate, however..

The continental tracks alluded to, are often wide and much less tighter than some UK tracks built within the confines of a greyhound track, hence when "grippy" these tracks are not seen by many riders as something they want to take on...

Bomber is Bomber, and Bewley is an ex MX rider so both ride conditions that are "deep" with supreme confidence...

You kind of get why riders who get extremely well paid in Poland may decide to "play it safe" when conditions over here are not quite to their liking...

An injury over here will cost them a lot of Polish money...

• Like 2

First and foremost, Oxford Stadium is a greyhound stadium. The owner is quite happy to allow speedway on site. Often, as on Thursday there is greyhound racing during the day and I suspect the track curator was unable to to water and grade consistently throughout the day.

Yes the delays at the start of the meeting were frustrating but it still finished at 21.25 hours precisely.

Will Oxford speedway lose custom as a result of Thursday's meeting? Absolutely not. We had 2 track records and some fantastic racing with multiple passing and re-passing. Just look at the Speedway Updates proboards to check that out - gate and go it was not.

Despite many people stating that Oxford were set up to fail with 3 teams, that was never going to happen because we are delighted to have regular speeday each week.

One final point, the promotion have been brilliant since the re-opening. So, onwards and upwards.

• Like 5

You've changed your tune. 

On 6/5/2024 at 7:41 PM, Wobblywheel said:

Why on earth is the Oxford track so incredibly dry and dusty again?

On 6/19/2024 at 2:52 PM, Wobblywheel said:

To all travelling Poole fans,

Another dry, warm day. Should be good racing but could be like a sandstorm. Make sure you bring goggles and appropriate plugs to keep the dust out of all orifices!!

On 6/26/2024 at 8:20 PM, Wobblywheel said:

I am a long - time Oxford supporter but I think the Sandy Lane raceway should be re - named "The Dustbowl". On the apex of bends one and two, I had a job to see  through the dust cloud who won heat 1.

Up to heat 6 and no real racing with some riders struggling to stay on. Such a shame because the action is normally superb.

On 7/1/2024 at 8:14 PM, Wobblywheel said:

Why did I waste my money to stand in a dust cloud? There is no excuse and it is not acceptable. However, congrats to Chris Holder on the track record.

Edited by BackInTheDHSS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2